Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

I've been following this game since it was a mod. I've heard it's pretty buggy, but then so was Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, and I loved that game. Not sure if I should just spring for it or not at this point.

Speaking of Vampire: The Masquerade; Bloodlines, I think it's on sale for 75% off on Steam right now. Still not cheap enough if you ask me.

I remember one time I played the pen and paper Vampire the Masquerade to try to get with some goth chick who was playing it. Mission failed.

Shaikoten said:

I remember one time I played the pen and paper Vampire the Masquerade to try to get with some goth chick who was playing it. Mission failed.

Hahaha.

@Phucket: I checked it out on Steam last night after you talked about it. It looks pretty gnarly. I might pick it up after I deposit my paycheck.. then we can coop!

Too much franglish.

It's odd. Give me a game from Russian or Japanese developers with horribly mangled sentences and I don't mind it at all, but somehow the way french people tend to misuse english irks me. Perhaps because while it generally makes sense there's always something off about it, an uncanny valley of sorts.

Phml, in video games or elsewhere, French translations from English are odd too, you know.

Oh, definitely. Here, the problem is, they have this obviously high concept game, which they often touted as a modern take on Deus Ex, but if the presentation itself is silly, it's hard to feel immersed in the setting.

That said, I didn't notice you could play the game in french (all the media that I've seen from them was in english with no option for a french version, including their website), so, my bad. That should be much better.

Then again... Brouzoufs. Force metastreumonique. Secreta Secretorum. Heh, they make it really hard to take their game seriously.

Just my opinion, thankfully. Looks like the game is a top seller on Steam. Good for them. :)

Phml said:

Too much franglish.

It's odd. Give me a game from Russian or Japanese developers with horribly mangled sentences and I don't mind it at all, but somehow the way french people tend to misuse english irks me. Perhaps because while it generally makes sense there's always something off about it, an uncanny valley of sorts.

I was just reminded of Sacred and its...Germlish? That was terrible. It was, in fact, so bad that the game actually gave you misinformation in its dialogues: "Go that way and fight the evil enemy!"...but the compass is telling me to go to the completely different direction! Wha!?

Krispavera said:

Hahaha.

@Phucket: I checked it out on Steam last night after you talked about it. It looks pretty gnarly. I might pick it up after I deposit my paycheck.. then we can coop!

sounds good man. You might want to play around a bit in single player first though. The ingame tutorials really don't do a very good job of explaining the game mechanics.

It feels more FPS than RPG, but I guess it's the game's pace itself. Also seems very dynamic in the way it's designed. I hope they did that finite balance between dynamic and structure. I don't want the single player experience to feel like I'm on an empty server, and there's no expository run around an area and interact with NPCs kind of thing. That was the one thing that made Deus Ex such a great game.

If it's only RPG in the sense of "HURRRR there's stats 'n skills and shit", then fuck this game. They show you very little story in the trailers, and they put all the emphasis on the action and the skill system. Makes me a little weary of buying this game. Along with having enough shit to play already.

There isn't much in the way of story from the 2 hours I've played so far. The game seems to focuses more on how you approach the missions. Combat is dynamic and kinetic, can be quite challenging. Though now I am trying out heavy armour with the minigun and that, while satisfying, is quite a breeze. ;)

Game could use more polish here and there, particularly in sounds. That landing thud sound is especially abrasive. But it's fairly enjoyable so far.

And yes, the language is quite teh suck. :P

It looks meh. They showed a whole lot of nothing in the first page trailer. Well nothing and moon jump. It looks like everything else...

I think FPS need to go retro at this point to be different.

geo said:

It looks meh. They showed a whole lot of nothing in the first page trailer. Well nothing and moon jump. It looks like everything else...

I think FPS need to go retro at this point to be different.

The trailers don't really do the game much justice. In the game's defense, it actually does play differently from most FPSs these days, specifically in the dynamic structure of gameplay.
It almost strikes me as what Brink was going for, i.e. the ability to play the game however you want to play it, as opposed to simply keeping playthroughs limited to how the developers want you to play it, as is the case in most games these days. If you want to walk through the streets in heavy armor with a minigun blazing, you're free to do it. If you want to leap from rooftop to rooftop, picking off enemies with a sniper rifle, you're free to do it. If you want to creep through the level, sneaking up on an unsuspecting enemy, and then possess him, make him shoot his friends, and then shoot himself, you're free to do that too.
It may not be what you're looking for, but it is a refreshing change from your average game where the developers try everything in their power to maintain absolute control over how the player handles each situation.

Well. I finished it. It certainly became much less enjoyable the further I played. It has interesting elements, but the execution and polish (didn't have any bugs though) is just not there. I certainly don't feel like playing through it again with a different style, at least in it's current state.

geo said:

Here's Game Trailer's review of EYE. It sells the game better than Gamespot's. Maybe this will help or hurt sell the game, but hey I thought its worth a bump.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-pod-e-y-e-divine/719315?

They released a massive patch yesterday that fixed a lot of issues with the game, some of which cover the ones the reviewer complained. They fixed it in the patch but I'm surprised the reviewer didn't address the issue of dying from a critically failed hack, which was a huge problem due to the game's lack of a save system

geo said:

Critically failed hack? Please explain :-)

When you fail a hack, one of three things happens. Either nothing will happen, the enemy will counter hack you which will result in a big neon smiley face covering your screen along with the words "YOU'VE BEEN HACKED!" that will stay there until you hack yourself, and for the third and worst punishment: your brain melts, killing you instantly.

Normally when you died you would lose a resurector and respawn, until you ran out of them (I believe you start with 5 but you can spend ingame currency to increase the max amount), in which case you have to start from the last checkpoint. Before the patch, a lethal hacking failure would outright kill you without letting you use a resurector.

This patch has fixed the biggest issue I had with the game: invisible research cases. Still can't find the research for the hammer or the nuclear mortar though. :p

Glad I haven't tried it yet, with the bugs and all it would've pissed me off to no end. Sounds like they'll get it to a playable state by update 10 :P

There's a Vampire Mascarade game that also uses the Source engine that was literally broken and unplayable on the PC right as you install it. Their world is atmospheric too... but really buggy.

Source engine = buggy + atmospheric? hmmm...