Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
tsareppsun

Did anybody look at those pics for Unreal Tournement 2003?

I'm not saying I have no faith in id and their level design team,But I'm just dazzled on how "BADASS" the Unreal level design teams are displaying some of their levels in their upcoming game. I would really love for those guys to remake all the levels of the entire "PHOBOS/DEIMOS/INFERNAL" incident. Just imagine seeing a rehash of the Hanger level(Hopefully looks more like a real Hanger,this time!)and after you go up to hanger control area(where the green armor is)you look out the window and in the distance you see a few solar radar dish towers,some comm antanee with blinking skylights,looking further out,see the hilly terrain of phobos itself with a "NIGHT-SKY" like it
supposed to have. With a gigantic MARS rotating across the sky,just like the "PHOBOS ARENA" level in UT(DAMN,I love that level!!Everytime
I play that level and look at that rotating sky with Mars,makes my heart sink! That's how the outside of Phobos should've looked!! Well,getting back to the subject,Just looking at the level designs of Unreal team makes me feel like "they" should be the level designers for the new DOOM,especially levels involving space stations or industrial type areas. Just go to any of the Unreal sites and look at some of the pics and see what I'm talking about....

The level design in Unreal Warfare/Unreal 2 does admittedly look good, but the level design evident in the Doom 3 footage seems even better.

Plus Quake 3 had better designed levels than UT (worse gameplay though).

Oh, and also, if the Doom 3 level editors areanything like the Quake editors, it'll be very different to the Unreal editor. So just because you're good at Unreal 2 editing won't mean that you'll be good at Doom 3 editing, and visa versa.

Learn how to model in MAX, Maya, Lightwave or SoftImage. I'm 100% sure most of the really freaky stuff is done in a complete, stand-alone 3D package like Maya.

I wasn't impressed by UT2003's level design. I can imagine far more funky uses for that engine. I remember the original Unreal having some outstanding themes and rooms.

Originally posted by Zaldron
I remember the original Unreal having some outstanding themes and rooms.

That's funny, I remember the original Unreal to be total ass. I think it suffers from Daikatana syndrome : the first levels are so plain and uninspired that a lot of people (including me) don't bother pushing trough to the end.

Originally posted by FlatHead

That's funny, I remember the original Unreal to be total ass. I think it suffers from Daikatana syndrome : the first levels are so plain and uninspired that a lot of people (including me) don't bother pushing trough to the end.

Exactly, the Vortex Rikers is nice, but that's it. The Nyvelle Falls look great, but the Mines are horrible. All that aztec-like levels are plain ugly.

But as soon as you get to the Colisseum, the level design rocks. The Sunspire is perhaps the best use of the Unreal Engine ever.

The first Daikatana map is amazing. Truly inspirational.

Zaldron: I agree the mines in Unreal were kinda ick, but the Aztec-y temples rule.

Originally posted by Liam the Bard
Zaldron: I agree the mines in Unreal were kinda ick, but the Aztec-y temples rule.

Green, Blue, Red and Orange lighting. Stupid mosquitos and cramped corridors full of Skaarj. Not good. The outdoor scenes were great though.

And I liked the first Daikatana map too. It really defined the mood of that episode.

Originally posted by Zaldron
Learn how to model in MAX, Maya, Lightwave or SoftImage. I'm 100% sure most of the really freaky stuff is done in a complete, stand-alone 3D package like Maya.

I dont think you have to learn any of these programms for leveldesign.
Take a detailed look on the Qcon Movie and you see that the levels arent much complexer in geometrie than todays Q3 levels.
The detailed look of the maps is done with bump mapping. You havent to build every metalplate.

No, of course. Afterall it's Robert Duffy's job to develop the new Qeradiant. But what about the rotating bridge thing? Modelling that on Radiant it's a pain in the ass and the skinning a complete nightmare.