Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Al-Qaeda strikes back against America

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by AL-Qaeda - 9/11"

huh

skaman86 said:

What the hell? Can they do that?

It is some hacker's joke. YouTube Poop community having a lot of problems with those obviously fake copyright claims lately.

skaman86 said:

What the hell? Can they do that?

Under the holiest principles of Protection of Intellectual Property, that define the current Western Capitalist Civilization, yes, if they have attorneys with the necessary cojones to pull it off. The real problem isn't blowing up two buildings by crashing planes into them, it's about giving due credit (and revenue) where those are due, and defend the rights of those legitimately -and exclusively- entitled to them. This is a principle that must be defended at all costs -kill and torture if you have, but, By God and In The Name Of Whatever Is Holier, do NOT trample on the very concept of private property!

all infidels and copyright infringers will die in the flames of jihad! allahu and disney akbar!

Why doesn't YouTube actually check to see if any copyright claims are legit? I mean, I think they should give each one more thought than "oh, someone's complaining, doesn't matter who, let's take the video down!".

Danarchy said:

Friendship is no longer available due to copyright reasons.

Actually I thought that was resolved to be trolls. Obviously YouTube believes if they revoked the plee for banning the video they would be bombed by Qaeda or something. Or whatever that whole South Park thing was about.

I think they should give each one more thought than "oh, someone's complaining, doesn't matter who, let's take the video down!".

I guess they do it only when the author files a counterclaim. It is much easier this way.

Memfis said:

I guess they do it only when the author files a counterclaim. It is much easier this way.

And that's why the DMCA is broken and a threat to freedom.

They should be REQUIRED to check them before they take any action against a user. Anything less is inappropriate.

Quasar said:

They should be REQUIRED to check them before they take any action against a user. Anything less is inappropriate.

Except that it is a website run privately so they can really do whatever the hell they want right?

Quasar said:

In soviet ebay, an unjustified 'vero' complaint will take your item down, never let you list it again (huzzah, no competition from the used market!) and count as 1/3 or so of your 'seller performance' eventual inevitable permanent ban. Nobody complain about ebay though, because they know just about all your personal information and set up all sorts of militarily sophisticated honey pots and traps to contain people who dare to think they can add 2 cents to ebay sanctioned propaganda.

Ralphis said:

Except that it is a website run privately so they can really do whatever the hell they want right?

Perhaps, but they should still not be acting like this considering it's such a huge public resource. It's the largest video sharing site around, I feel that despite being privately owned, it should cater to the interests of the public, considering it's very large userbase.

Not that anything can be done to force them to treat their userbase better, but I think they should. Google cares far more about advertising revenue than user satisfaction, which I find to be a bad thing considering that almost the entire public depends on their services.

Sodaholic said:

Why doesn't YouTube actually check to see if any copyright claims are legit? I mean, I think they should give each one more thought than "oh, someone's complaining, doesn't matter who, let's take the video down!".

Because youtube doesn't give two flying fucks about its users. As long as a Partner or some company files a claim, youtube automatically allows action to be taken (usually removal of videos and account suspensions).

What's worse is that they make it so hard and tedious on the regular users to file counter-claims, almost to the point that the users don't even bother.

I've seen hundreds of videos unfairly removed at the hands of false claims. Complaints have been made left and right and not a damn thing has been done. I've yet to find a successful counter-claim.

In the amazing tales of youtube atheism vs. religion drama, venomfangx, wielder of the formidable eternal chocolate bar argument, once filed a DMCA takedown against thunderf00t, champion of the flying spaghetti monster. thunderf00t then rolled a natural 20 and executed a "penalty of perjury" reflection of the attack using the minotaur's shield which teleported venomfangx to the netherworlds for 1 year (true story). Not sure if that was a successful counter claim- just a successful threat of a counter claim I guess.

Memfis said:

I'd probably do the exact same thing. It's the only sane way of dealing with these claims.

Of course every idiot out there who's uploaded a video they know is copyrighted will probably file a counterclaim anyway, but it's still better than having to investigate every single claim.

Last I checked, the law was designed so YouTube has to take things down as soon as they get the claim. The entire thing was designed to protect large, existing companies and only large, existing companies.

Memfis said:

I'm subscribes to a few producers who have lost their videos due to copyright claim and they never get their video back.

Sadly, even if your video follows the fair-use policy to a tee, they'll always follow the corporations wishes.

I'm at the point where I don't want to even bother uploading videos to Youtube anymore. This hacking bullshit is really getting tiring now. I guess Youtube has absolutely no security whatsoever.

Oh, and fuck the copyright claim system, its just complete garbage. They never check any of the claims, and filing counter-claims is just suicidal.