Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

Base Ganymede: Complete - 20/01/12 - Final version on /idgames

See here for E1, and here for E2.

So it's time for me to work on the final episode! I'll be combining the previous episodes into this release where there'll be bugfixes and possible balance changes (mostly looking at E1 here). The separate episodes will remain on /idgames for demo and archiving purposes.

----------------------------

/idgames download link:

Download

----------------------------

Screens:

M1 Map (512 grid) 1 2
M2 Map 1 2 3
M3 Map 1 2 3
M4 Map 1 2 3
M5 Map 1
M6 1

Secrets 1 2 3

Khorus, you're a legend. These maps really are something to cheer about, and I can't wait to see the entire finished product.

I have to ask though, that screenie looks more akin to the previous episodes. Are you following the original episodic trend of having episode three consist of a hellish theme, or are you marching to the beat of your own drum? Either way, can't wait!

@st.alfonzo Both of the previous episodes so far has gone from a base start to a hellish finish.

Adam: I thought you were going to make your strife project before starting this.

st.alfonzo said:

Khorus, you're a legend. These maps really are something to cheer about, and I can't wait to see the entire finished product.

I have to ask though, that screenie looks more akin to the previous episodes. Are you following the original episodic trend of having episode three consist of a hellish theme, or are you marching to the beat of your own drum? Either way, can't wait!

Thanks!

Yeah, each episode is it's own progression. E1 had more base maps, E2 had more hellish ones. I like being able to jump around styles a bit rather than have an entire episode of base or hell maps. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

Pretty cool stuff, I enjoyed your last two episodes quite a lot so I'll probably enjoy this one as well!

That's nice to hear, thanks!

kristus said:

Adam: I thought you were going to make your strife project before starting this.

I am working on both at the same time. The strife project takes a good bit more thought and planning to do though.

Wow, you map fast Khorus! I've not even gotten into E1 yet and E2 was just barely released, by the time I get to it it'll be a three episode game, heh.

TrueDude said:

So, are all 3 Episodes going to be packaged together for the final release?

Read 1st post ...

Sounds really good. The first 2 episodes were great. Maybe you can also consider making an Episode 4 as well.

hawkwind said:

Read 1st post ...

Oh, I skimmed over that I guess, was to busy looking at the previous ones (skipped over those topics before) and looking at the screenshot, I guess I didn't see that.

Thanks for all the feedback. :) Didn't realize my little wad series had made such an impact.

M1 is roaring along. Turning out to be the best map I've yet made. Got a new screen up in the OP.

So E3M1 is now finished (mapshot in OP). I'm also trying something different this time, I'll be uploading a map whenever I am finished with it for anyone to play. :D If you find a bug, texture problem, balance issue or the coffee too weak, just give feedback here.

Now go grab M1!

Not bad. I like it. A bit tough for me to play through on Ultra-Violence, but then again, I'm not exactly the best Doomer. Still, this was entertaining. It might benefit from some more health pickups though.

report ...

Bugs ...

1. T240 and T241 are only flagged HARD, preventing 100% kills on EASY and MEDIUM skills.

2. T12 and T13 - lamps - are only flagged HARD.

3. OPENGL - Baron of Hell renders his head into the ceilings of sector 342.

Thoughts/Suggestions ...

1. While the monster count increases for rising skill levels, so does the pickups. An example is at sector 70. Green armour is available for medium/hard skills, but not for easy. There should be more pickups for easier skill levels than for harder IMO.

I suggest ...

a. At sector 70 - EASY - blue armour , MEDIUM - green armour, HARD - an amount of armour bonuses at the same spot.
b. Shotgun at sector 326 for all skill levels.
c. Rad suit at sector 6 for all skill levels.

2. The level seemed a bit sparse on ammo IMO. Maybe increase ammo, especially bullets.

3. Seemed a bit wierd to me walking through the hanging leg at sector 342. Maybe increase the height of sectors 342 and 341 ? This would also solve the problem in BUGS point 3.

4. IMO , as it stands, the computer map at sector 283 is superfluous.

Quite enjoyable :)

Lizardcommando said:

Not bad. I like it. A bit tough for me to play through on Ultra-Violence, but then again, I'm not exactly the best Doomer. Still, this was entertaining. It might benefit from some more health pickups though.

Thanks for playing! Nice to hear it was a challenge, hard to tell if the traps are really going to catch people or not. I'll certainly look at the health distribution, I think it's a bit off halfway in the map.

hawkwind said:

report ...

Bugs ...

1. T240 and T241 are only flagged HARD, preventing 100% kills on EASY and MEDIUM skills.

2. T12 and T13 - lamps - are only flagged HARD.

3. OPENGL - Baron of Hell renders his head into the ceilings of sector 342.

Thoughts/Suggestions ...

1. While the monster count increases for rising skill levels, so does the pickups. An example is at sector 70. Green armour is available for medium/hard skills, but not for easy. There should be more pickups for easier skill levels than for harder IMO.

I suggest ...

a. At sector 70 - EASY - blue armour , MEDIUM - green armour, HARD - an amount of armour bonuses at the same spot.
b. Shotgun at sector 326 for all skill levels.
c. Rad suit at sector 6 for all skill levels.

2. The level seemed a bit sparse on ammo IMO. Maybe increase ammo, especially bullets.

3. Seemed a bit wierd to me walking through the hanging leg at sector 342. Maybe increase the height of sectors 342 and 341 ? This would also solve the problem in BUGS point 3.

4. IMO , as it stands, the computer map at sector 283 is superfluous.

Quite enjoyable :)

Excellent work! Yeah that armour, radsuit and shotgun were all mis-tagging bugs, but I like the suggestion for the armour to be blue on easy.

I take it you found the chaingun secret then? I've managed to beat the level with a couple shells left over with only using the shotgun, so I might give a few more shells here and there. Yeah I will get rid of the computer map, I think I set up all the teleporters to give a good indication of where to go next.

Thanks for the good info. :)

Justince said:

Great work on this map Khorus! I do think this is one of your best layouts! Looking forward to the rest of the maps, though I feel releasing them as completed might spoil the surprise!

Thank you! :) Yes, I had considered that when thinking the idea over, but I still have some other surprises up my sleeve. ;)

E3M2 is well under way! Screenie here. This map will be featuring more of the larger, open areas and less of the juxtaposed tight corridors leading to the large open rooms.

OP updated with two new shots of E3M2 (2 and 3). M2 is turning out to be a fairly large, rather non-linear map with a strong use of green.

Sorry about the slow progress. I'm devoting 95% of my creative efforts towards music right now, and after 3 years of that I am finally doing work that I am very happy about, and I'm enjoying the process too. So my level design projects are suffering for that. They'll get done, but I am in no rush to throw them out.

So BGE3M2 is finished! Yay! Get it here or at the OP. Note the wad contains m1 (hopefully with fixes applied, it's been awhile) so you'll need to warp or play to m2.

I'm yet to have a thorough run through on skill 2 or 3, or on an engine other than Choco, so feel free to do that for my lazy ass. :)

Now go play and gimme your thoughts and any bugs.

Khorus said:

the wad contains m1 (hopefully with fixes applied

E3M1 - Lamps at sector 17 are still only flagged HARD.

Now for E3M2 ...

1. Tag can be removed from sectors 297 and 337.

2. Line 1355 can be flagged "hidden".

3. Back-sidedef 4125 ( linedef 2601 ) references invalid sector - should be 1.

4. Back-sidedef 2311 ( linedef 1461 ) references wrong sector - should be 258.

... good to see work is continuing on this :)

Had a burst of creativity over yesterday and today and got a large amount of work done on M3. Shots here (and in OP):

1 2

Trying to have a lot of different angles going on at once with a mixture of an organic feel to the architecture, with very striking lighting.

I'm sorry that I'm working so slowly here (I would have been working on the last map or two of E2 in this same time frame), but I'm really only ever working on levels when I feel very relaxed about it and actually want to at the moment. It isn't my main creative outlet anymore and I've accepted that. I'll get there with both this and my Strife work with time. :)

The project is picking up some pace, M3 is nearly finished and 2 secret maps have been speedmapped with a one hour timelimit on geometry, so they're pretty small. Have a break. Have a speedmap. Now eat some shots!

E3M3 3

Secrets zomg shh 1 2

DeathevokatioN said:

New screens are looking great!

Thanks, hopefully they'll play well too. :)

So M3 is finished and up for download! Ammo balance might be a little tight, and the lower difficulties need some work but beyond such polish the map should be finished. Here's the mapshot, OP is updated as usual. Now go play and have some funz.

PS. the Saturn X is a lie.

Downloading now. I really liked the previous episodes. Though the doom1 enemies tend to become quite boring after a while. Will feedback you later. Thanks