Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

absolute least favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

Are there maps in doom or doom 2 you just can't stand?

Just maps that turn you off entirely or you just skip?

What brought this up, in my mind, was map 05 of DOOM2. The map turns me off entirely ever time I play it. I either skip it, or just call that my quitting point for the time.

Other maps I truly dont like are E3M2, for me simply because of its slower pace than other maps (especially the previous one)

For me I can't stand map08. I always hardly memorize the route of this map and ammo is limited. I don't like this map at all, so I always skip it, or play with cheats on.

Heh these threads come up a lot and usually I try to stay out but

yellowmadness54 said:

What brought this up, in my mind, was map 05 of DOOM2. The map turns me off entirely ever time I play it. I either skip it, or just call that my quitting point for the time.

you pretty much read my mind. When I try to play through Doom 2, I get to MAP04, and I'm like "well this is getting boring, but I'll push through". Then I hit MAP05 and I'm like fuck it I'm done.

DuckReconMajor said:

I get to MAP04, and I'm like "well this is getting boring...

Maybe doom.exe should have included a "shuffle" playmode, so you don't have to go through the same sequence every time. I guess the only catch is the maps with "special" linedefs, but that could have been worked around...

DuckReconMajor said:

When I try to play through Doom 2, I get to MAP04, and I'm like "well this is getting boring, but I'll push through". Then I hit MAP05 and I'm like fuck it I'm done.

Wow, glad I'm not the only one around here who does this. I've probably finished MAP05 less than five times in total, because by that point I just can't be bothered to keep playing.

Aside from MAP05, I also hit a similarly reliable "fuck it, I've had enough," point at E2M4, though it's more related to the shittiness of that map itself, rather than the tedium of trekking through the maps before it.

Doom 1: E3M1 (stupid start), E3M7 (stupid ending sequence), E4M1 (stupid on UV), E4M2 (stupid altogether), E4M6 (annoying).

Doom 2: I pretty much like them all after having tolerated so many playthroughs, but the one that makes me groan when it comes up is MAP24, seems to go on forever and it's a pain to navigate.

I really dislike E2M3 and MAP09. The next levels after those two make up for them, though.

yellowmadness54 said:

Are there maps in doom or doom 2 you just can't stand?

Just maps that turn you off entirely or you just skip?

The only thing that comes to mind is the teleporter clusterfuck of the Unholy Cathedral, but I haven't touched the iwads in a while.

Alright, let's see. Maps that made me go "ugh, this map again, maybe I should just skip it" during full playthroughs:
- E3M6: Mt. Erebus
- E4M1: Hell Beneath (only if maxing, though)
- E4M2: Perfect Hatred
- MAP05: The Waste Tunnels
- MAP06: The Crusher
- MAP08: Tricks and Traps
- MAP21: Nirvana
- MAP24: The Chasm
- MAP27: Monster Condo (entirely for the 30-second secret)
- MAP28: The Spirit World
- MAP30: Icon of Sin

Did people honestly like E3M7? I felt it was pretty anticlimactic, being a giant (for the time) map with only 36 relatively weak monsters. The damaging blood was more threatening than the opposition, mainly due to the annoying teleporter puzzle that has you running back and forth just to hit some skull switches. Switches that serve little purpose other than to just artificially lengthen the map. Wasn't much to look at either, probably ranking the barest to the bone map in episode 3.

That being said, I actually liked the rest of the maps in Doom for one reason or another. I think the only map in doom 2 I used to not like was map 13, but I appreciate it now. I think music often had a lot to do with the mood I was in for certain maps.

EDIT: Couldn't spell worth a damn.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Did people honestly like E3M7? I felt it was pretty anti-climatic, being a giant (for the time) map with only 36 relatively weak monsters.

I guess I don't mind a quieter, more atmospheric map just before the boss. It builds anticipation. You know, "the calm before the storm" and all that stuff.

E3M8 would be the anticlimactic disappointment, but as long as you don't know how easy to kill the spider boss is if you go hug it with a BFG, it's still quite challenging. For a Doom veteran, it's over so fast the map doesn't the time to be boring.

I think its only the Icon of Sin that I truly dislike these days - something that has spread to the majority of other MAP30s in megawads. I'd never say mouselook can be abused... but I always do use it to its fullest to get out of these maps as fast as I can.

However, I do have a reluctance to play E3M5 (Unholy Cathedral). That teleporter thing its got bothers me.

Good news for me is that the vast majority of my playing is going through freshly downloaded .WAD files off of /idgames, so I rarely ever go back and play stuff like the original megawads and can't say I really run the risk of getting bored with them.

I actually like E2M3 :\ I'd say that my least favorite maps are E2M9 and MAP32.

IMO E2M9 has almost no redeemable qualities, while MAP32 just feels odd and has waaaaaaaaaaay too much ammo.

So I guess I'm probably the only person on Earth who like E2M9. I make a game of it: finish the level with 100% kill without getting hit once.

@Gez: It just feels like something that was thrown together in 5 minutes. And then there's that retarded key puzzle at the end :|

I really like E3M7. It's one of the more interesting maps in Inferno, I think.

Also, The Chasm has some great atmospheric moments with use of grand-scale views, acrophobia, and tight quarters in huge environments, though it's not as cohesive or consistent an experience as E4M6.

Nirvana's abstract puzzle/trap sections are cool.

Marcaek said:

@Gez: It just feels like something that was thrown together in 5 minutes. And then there's that retarded key puzzle at the end :|

One would think it was thrown together quickly, but I recently figured out why Sandy was so proud of that map: contrarily to almost every other area in Doom, nearly all of the rocks in the start room are aligned correctly.

Cyanosis said:

E3M5. It's even got a useless key!

And so does E1M3.
(I know where to use these keys!)

Sometimes I get bored at E1M6 when doing a rather normal playthru of episode 1. That map drags on and on. But it's much more fun if the skill is nightmare or the monsters are modded to be threatening.

I find E2M2 to be quite a boring map, due to the fact that it has mostly imps -- some of the least threatening monsters in Doom, competing with zombiemen. It also drags on, taking me more than 10 minutes if I want to get 100% of it, due to all those unimportant secrets.

I feel sorry for some Inferno maps... not because they're too easy, but because they're badly designed. You can finish E3M2, E3M3, E3M5, E3M6 too quickly.

E4M4 is THE Doom map that absolutely sucks. It has no redeeming qualities, it can't be modded to be better. It's buggy anyway.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Did people honestly like E3M7? I felt it was pretty anti-climatic, being a giant (for the time) map with only 36 relatively weak monsters. The damaging blood was more threatening than the opposition, mainly due to the annoying teleporter puzzle that has you running back and forth just to hit some skull switches. Switches that serve little purpose other than to just artificially lengthen the map. Wasn't much to look at either, probably ranking the barest to the bone map in episode 3.

When I first played it I had similiar grief with E3M5, but I think it really stuck out and is at least more difficult than many other maps in Doom.

E4M1 is one of my favourite Doom maps (E3M5 may be better). I corrected my former post to say that E4M4 is the one that sucks. Apologies everyone.

Should mention in advance that the title isn't really meant to be an insult, it's just a series of videos I've been making in response to certain Doom challenges.