Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

A couple small releases

Along with Lunatic I uploaded a couple of other things that I've had sitting around on my hard drive in case anyone is interested.

Hanging Gardens

I was working on a mapset for GZDoom a year or so ago that would take place in a desert base. This is the only map of those that turned out very well. It's slaughtery and it requires a fairly decent PC to run.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16552

Aaaand a picture:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z148/pgdebruyne/hgarden.png

Aeternum

Aeternum is a mapset I made in 2007. These were the first maps I made after I decided to try my hand at mapping again after taking a break since 1998.

I updated the maps and removed all ZDoomisms - the mapset is now fully Boom format. I've tested in PrBoom-plus, Eternity, and ZDoom (Eternity gives a message about an unknown thing type. Don't worry, it's a purely cosmetic ZDoom decoration and doesn't really matter). I'd love to see how fast you guys can UV-Max MAP02!

Here is the idgames link:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15161

Unfortunately the Doomworld /idgames archive didn't update the text file displayed but I've downloaded it and verified that the zip file has been updated.

I'll have to check these two out when I get some free time - your work has done a very good job of impressing me as of late!

Fairly decent PC required, indeed. On mine, it ran slower than Sunder Map10 or Helcore 2.0 Map09.

Great job, that map looks fantastic. I'm really digging the skybox.
Sprites are awesome too. 10/10 in my book. I'm going to play the hell out of this tonight.

Haha, I downloaded Aeternum back when you first released it. It's actually one of my stand-by wads! I remember struggling to get through that first map cause it was so dang difficult. Great stuff though.

As for Hanging Gardens, that screenshot looks great. Maybe I'll download GZDoom later and give it a shot.

Phml said:

Fairly decent PC required, indeed. On mine, it ran slower than Sunder Map10 or Helcore 2.0 Map09.

It's very system dependent. If your machine uses an ATI video card it's pretty much guaranteed to run poorly because GZDoom just doesn't get along with them, whereas a somewhat older NVIDIA based system will be silky smooth.

Yeah, it was fine on my Nvidia-equipped laptop. Took me a few try but I did max out the level in ultra violence finally. The hardest part is the start, making a clear path that allows to avoid being ever trapped somewhere and mobbed by the demons. Once the level is mostly cleared of its original contingent, it becomes easier as you get plenty of room to navigate, lose the revenant rockets, and let infighting take place. Still got to eliminate AV and PE quickly before they become too much of a pain, though.

Note that if you don't mind choppy framerates and a grey checkerboard in the sky, the map is perfectly playable in plain old ZDoom provided you use an SVN build. The few 3D floors are perfectly horizontal, so they're supported.

For the record, I have a NVIDIA card - a 8800GTX, which was fairly highend 4 or 5 years ago and still holds up well in recent games.

skillsaw said:

It's very system dependent. If your machine uses an ATI video card it's pretty much guaranteed to run poorly because GZDoom just doesn't get along with them, whereas a somewhat older NVIDIA based system will be silky smooth.

I'm running an ATI Radeon 5850 and I had almost no problem playing it. The card's not even two years old yet though so I guess that could have something to do with it.

Phml said:

For the record, I have a NVIDIA card - a 8800GTX, which was fairly highend 4 or 5 years ago and still holds up well in recent games.

Krispavera said:

I'm running an ATI Radeon 5850 and I had almost no problem playing it. The card's not even two years old yet though so I guess that could have something to do with it.

There must be factors at play other than video card model then. I guess I shouldn't have assumed.

valkiriforce said:

That screenshot is incredible; looks like somewhere I'd like to live.

Thanks! It's a bit less appealing of an environment when it's inhabited by monsters though.

I've given Hanging Gardens a go. Wrote up a proper opinion on the /idgames archive so I'll give you the abridged one here - lots of fun although once you've got a vague idea of how to best go about beating it its quite easy. Looks brilliant too :) Good job!

I'll have to check out Aeternum when I get some more downtime.

hanging gardens would murder my crappy notebook, but aeternum is excellent. map02 is very impressive!

you might want to be careful with switches next time, there's quite a lot of places where they can be pushed from a lower level. also next time please put impassible lines behind sniper monsters in your boom maps. in the megasphere yard it's possible to push the imps over the edge without killing them. btw, here's your max. :)

edit: oh, what's the music from? it kicks ass so much. :)

Phobus said:

I've given Hanging Gardens a go. Wrote up a proper opinion on the /idgames archive so I'll give you the abridged one here - lots of fun although once you've got a vague idea of how to best go about beating it its quite easy. Looks brilliant too :) Good job!

Thanks Phobus. You're right about the start being the hardest part of the map, once of it you break out

dew said:

hanging gardens would murder my crappy notebook, but aeternum is excellent. map02 is very impressive!

you might want to be careful with switches next time, there's quite a lot of places where they can be pushed from a lower level. also next time please put impassible lines behind sniper monsters in your boom maps. in the megasphere yard it's possible to push the imps over the edge without killing them. btw, here's your max. :)

edit: oh, what's the music from? it kicks ass so much. :)

Your UV-Max was impressive... You really managed to abuse the switch placement. My favorite part was when you walked into the library room with the two archviles by the switch that opens the megasphere yard and took them out with one shot.

The music is from Unreal Tournament 1999 (basically my favorite deathmatch game ever. sorry Doom).

skillsaw said:

The music is from Unreal Tournament 1999 (basically my favorite deathmatch game ever. sorry Doom).

ah, alexander brandon, i should've known. my fave moment is ambushing the cyber with the first bfg shot, probably because in half the cases he returns fire while i'm still humping his leg.