Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
exp(x)

Someone at Intel likes ZDoom

That's really cool; it also amuses me to be showing off 2011 tech with a 1993 game :P

chungy said:

That's really cool; it also amuses me to be showing off 2011 tech with a 1993 game :P

The processor is also running at a mere 50MHz.

Awesome awesome triple awesome.

FPGA-written processor that runs Doom... Now I really need to learn how to port Doom!!

exp(x) said:

The processor is also running at a mere 50MHz.

Lol 6.3 MHz Bus? Now THAT'S fucked up ;-)

It reminds me of a guy who had:

• 386 mobo...
  • ...with 486 pin-compatible socket extender...
  • ...with some fucked up 486DX120/4 or somesuch
  • ...in a system with just ISA slots (8 MHz, 16-bit witdh).
This system was extremely asymmetric in performance: it could outperform an early Pentium in pure number crunching, but it sucked ass for anything using the VGA.

I take that they needed 5 or more minutes to boot even a minimal Windows XP/2000 into that configuration, even with plenty of RAM to spare?

@printz: more like FPGA design and programming ;-) There actually IS a C-to-FPGA converter somewhere, so in theory you could literally program a FPGA with the sole purpose of running Doom, after you took care of the interfacing issues). It would not be a general-purpose CPU running Doom in an embedded system, it would literally be Doom-on-a-chip.

dannebubinga said:

I like that they use "pause"

ZDoom does that automatically when its window loses focus.

Trilinear said:

Looks like someone at Microsoft does also :)

Well obviously, considering Bill Gates used E1M2 to advertise some version of Windows or something at some point.

Maes said:

Lol 6.3 MHz Bus? Now THAT'S fucked up ;-)

Wait until you see what they did to the Nehalem: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1723112.1723116. The core was split across 5 FPGAs and runs at 520 kHz.

There actually IS a C-to-FPGA converter somewhere, so in theory you could literally program a FPGA with the sole purpose of running Doom, after you took care of the interfacing issues). It would not be a general-purpose CPU running Doom in an embedded system, it would literally be Doom-on-a-chip.

http://www.mentor.com/esl/catapult/overview