Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Idea pitch >> DoomCraft or QuakeCraft

MineCraft is popular and makes money.

So how about DoomCraft or Quake Craft. Not with cubes but with advanced objects. Dig out hallways or construct spaceport buildings all from within the game. Make your own universe. Fill it with monsters, objects and other stuff. No currency, just in game building tools and demolition tools.

Then open up your universe to other people to play. You visit my world and find bases full of enemies. You and your friends play my universe in co op and slaughter my enemies. Save and you go back or restart and all of those enemies I put are back.

Then go to another world / universe with subterranian hellscapes or it could be on the same world.

Open up your own universe / world to other designers so other designers (people on your friends list) can add things to what you did but not destroy it. So I make a building, you make another building, someone else makes a third building. Before you know it we have Phobos. Then generate a new world to make Deimos and have teleporters between the two worlds all in the same universe.

Then when you're done playing. Rate, review and comment on that user's universe for others to know what they're in for.

Users can make deathmatch specific areas where you can't enter unless there are other players there ready to deathmatch.

Any ideas? Or is it just easier to download levels and play them?

They already have Quake online. They could implament these building tools in the online game.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Oh, you're talking about Sauerbraten.

Also doing this to the Quake engine would be a tremendous amount of work and honestly it wouldn't yield much feedback in the end. We already have editors that let us create new levels and share them with others. We can't do it in real time, but that basic social construct is still there.

Oh nice glad to see my idea is in working order with a game already.

Also, Nadeo (creators of Trackmania) are working on ShootMania, which supposedly will feature the same kind of clip-together level design Trackmania has, which is sort-of-kind-of what you're talking about, but not really on a massive scale open ended platform.

I'm very happy I posted my idea. I never knew about stuff like this. I knew there was Modnation Racers to make your own stuff but this Trackmania looks better :-)

I don't think you can have an in-game real-time map editor, because of BSP.

EDIT: I forgot you were talking about Doom 4...

Sure you can. Start with a vacant landscape and make a game out of assembling as you walk through it. Then save when you want.

When people play your universe it loads what was saved.

Why couldn't that be done?

How could you not know about Trackmania? :O

PS Trackmania Nations is 100% free, on steam of from nadeos site.

Though I've moved on to TM2 which has just gone into open beta (for pre-orders) :D

I played the free version for a lil while. Got through the white flag events. i have to say its a quality fun game. Even the basic tracks. I would like more real races where the track circles, but I'm sure I'll get to it :-)

It would be fun. A few issues though:

- It would take a fair amount of skill to make something half decent even in Doom/Doom2...let alone Doom 3, or 4 which will be even crazier. Minecraft works because it's relatively simple to make stuff (although making really beautiful architecture obviously takes more work)

- You haven't provided any continuity. I mean, do you walk around a room full of portals to everyone's world who is online? Or is everyone in the same "map" ?? I think it would work better if it was more along the lines of an RTS, where you have to build a base/armies and fight other players

- Skill making stuff? You could always just put parts like Morrowind. Then fill it with objects like Morrowind. I found Morrowind a lot easier to create stuff than Doom 3 ever was. Or you can group objects for things like slanted support beams. But its only an idea pitch :-)

I've seen mod tools in a game where you can draw a line and have it generate a passageway. Caves, forts, rivers. It was quite nice.

- Continuity you ask...

Let's say you start on your drop ship. You go to your teleporter or computer. Then a menu comes up with everyone's universe. Then you filter out what you don't want. Search by user name, description star rating.

Then it automatically takes you there. not takes you there so much as loads the universe when you hop in the teleporter.

Then inside someone's universe, use teleporters, transporters, elevators, portals and staircases to get around in that universe.

When you want off the universe just exit and it will pull you back onto your ship :-)