Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Oh my god nooo!!!!

My Mum and Dad have been working on our family tree for some time now, and they've just come across something that is extremely unsettling.

George W. Bush is my 13th cousin :(

Oh, another one of my 13th cousins is the actor Ralph Fiennes (sp?), so it's not all bad.

Originally posted by fodders
join the club

Y'know this explains alot. How many of our presidents are skimmed from the top of the same shallow gene pool. :)

Heh Fod, are you suffering from Insomnica too? I've slept five hours in the past two days :(

Wouldn't everyone in the world be related? Really? I mean, you're probably married to your 23rd cousin or something, unless you live in WV and you're married to your sister

I have some sort of link to ex-AFL footballer Bruce Doull, so that's interesting. No female streakers seem to want to tackle me though.

Heh, this must be telepathic or something, because both my mom and my stepmom are builiding their genealogic trees.

Cool stuff that I've found:

- One of my great-grandmothers had 13 younger or older brothers and sisters which we had no idea that existed.
- My stepmom comes from Brazil, where her great-great-great-whatever-grandfather owned an entire province (Manaus, IIRC).
- I might own a fortune that can cover all my studying expenses at Uni.

bah, we're all related, we were all but one same fish back in the day.

Nestled safely inside the belly of a comet orbiting some unknown star, a microscopic alien sits dormant. Somewhere in this vast universe -- perhaps a place like Earth -- a greater destiny awaits the microbe. A place to flourish, become a nematode or a rose or a teenager.

Life, after all, is tenacious and thrives on change.

Over time, gravity performs a few plausible, but not routine tricks, and the comet is ejected from its stellar orbit like a rock from a slingshot. For more than a 100 million years it slips silently across the inky vastness of interstellar space.

Then gravity goes to work again. Another star tugs at the comet, pulls it in.

A few giant gaseous planets whiz by, their bulks tugging at the comet, altering its course slightly. Ahead now, growing larger, looms a gorgeous blue and brown marble. Water and land. Maybe some air.

Then with the force only the cosmos can summon, the comet slams into the third rock from a mid-sized, moderately powerful star. The alien microbe survives, emerges from its protective shell and spreads like the dickens.

Thus began life on Earth, 3.8 billion years ago.

Uh, Fredrik, actually that makes a lot of sense.

... but mind you, the cosmozoic (sp?) theory Fod described is not the most widely accepted (the Oparin-Haldane one is, but I can't remember much of it so I won't go further).

cosmozoic

It's called panspermia, Astronomer Chandra Wickramasinghe is director of the Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology. He is a former student of Fred Hoyle, with whom he co-developed the modern theory of panspermia.

Yeah, that's it, panspermia. It's been a while since 10th grade :)

George W. Bush is my 13th cousin

This is scary man. At least it gives you an excuse to take the piss out of him. Your geeky 13th cousin.

I don't think i'm related to anyone famous.

Originally posted by NiGHTMARE
...George W. Bush is my 13th cousin :(

who cares as long as you aren't a moron like him?

So life came from outer space... it came to Earth from a planet somewhere far away. And how did life come to that planet? Answer: it came flying through space from a planet far away. And...

10 GOTO 10

while(1)

Chicken and egg.

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE YOU KNOW

It must have started somewhere, and why not on Earth? Why would any other place have been more likely to spawn life?

I didn't say I agree with it, I just said it makes sense.

Or maybe we interpreted it badly and a comet collision was what made it possible for life to begin...

My cousin was in most KFC commercials about a decade ago. The family would be sitting there at the kitchen table, bored, and then my cousin, the mom, would walk in with a smile and a bucket of KFC.

Funny thing, she never could eat any KFC without vomiting.

Meh, I don't have much on my family. One of my far-removed cousins ran for President as the ultimate left-wing liberal psychopath (and was shot down in the primary.) Apparently my mom's family is descended from Transylvanian royalty, so I'm probably related to history's most notorious blood-chugger. :-[*

Originally posted by FlatHead
All I know is my ancestors were British. Other than that, I think everyone is some celebrity's nth cousin.

Whether the "n" = 9.999999999999999999999999999999999x10^99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999, it's true.