Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Doom 2: Xtreme prequel?

It hasn't been discussed much on the forums, but I know a few of you are aware of the Doom 2 Xtreme and Xtreme Gold wads out there. For those of you who aren't, they were two wads that contained a lot of resources from other games, very fast weapons, and levels from other authors and even levels from the commercial games! As a kid, it was a blast, but these days, it's pretty lousy and only good for a nostalgic play every now and again.

However, I remember being on a website that was dedicated to these wads (or perhaps just a section of a larger site) and I distinctly remember seeing a page for a "Doom 2 X," which I believe was supposed to be the first in the series of these "X" games. I never played it, and these days I can't find any information on it. Does anyone know of its existence? Given the dubious legality of the other two Xtreme wads, I'd imagine this supposed Doom 2 X probably follows the same trend, so if it can't be linked to (if ever found), that's fine. I'm just curious to know if it exists or if I was just seeing things all those years ago...

Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone to actually find it so quickly. So it did exist! I didn't realize it had no new maps (barring map32, which was reused throughout the series). Interesting.

Thanks mate!

THE NEXT DOOM EXPERIENCE IS HERE AND YOU (LUCKY YOU!) HAVE BEEN CHOSEN
TO DEFEAT THOSE NASTY HELL SPAWNED CREATURES. BUT THIS TIME THEY ARE READY,ALL OF THEIR ABILITYS HAVE BEEN INCREASED, HEY DON'T LOOK SAD, YOUR WEAPONS HAVE BEEN MODIFYED TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!! (YES!!) BUT DON'T THINK IT'S ALL THAT SIMPLE, ONLY A "WIMPY GIRLY MAN" WOULD NOT WANT THE CHALLENGE OF ULTRA DOOM2X!

Hey, that's great! I wondered where that was. Never tried it out before, only the other two. These WADs are a real nostalgic trip, before I knew about DeHackEd I was in awe at how everything functioned.

Isn't that just a bunch of ripped resources, stoled id levels and a weird dehacked patch that makes weapons fire at ridiculous rates vs grossly resilient monsters? Like trying to bring "MOAR DAKKA!" into Doom or something. Trashy mod, really.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

/me types "fag" in-game to acquire weapons

Maes said:

Isn't that just a bunch of ripped resources, stoled id levels and a weird dehacked patch that makes weapons fire at ridiculous rates vs grossly resilient monsters? Like trying to bring "MOAR DAKKA!" into Doom or something. Trashy mod, really.

d2xgold is, yes. the first one, d2x, was apparently all with permission except for one map.

personally i can see why you would call them trashy, but the wads have a special place in my heart and i always feel very nostalgic playing them, as they were some of the first doom mods i played (thanks to doom wad station).

When I was new to the pwad scene, I didn't know how to play wads that changed anything further than the cosmetics (textures, some graphics, music, etc.) since at the time I was only loading pwads with doom 95. Eventually I learned about using the command line, source ports, and other stuff that led me to playing pwads that changed the game's behaviour itself, and the first pwad I played like this was doom 2 xtreme. Needless to say I was blown away at the time, since I hadn't played anything that changed the game so much before. Also, I didn't know where the levels came from, they were all just new to me. Despite knowing everything about it now, it still has a special place for me. =)

Didn't doom 2 xtreme and xtreme gold originally come with their own executable files that were run along with the -file parameters on the wads or something? I vaguely remember that. Perhaps they were built with a batch file?

Also, I used to visit the Parker Information Resources doom domain a lot, and wasn't aware it went down =(.

Tango said:

THE NEXT DOOM EXPERIENCE IS HERE AND YOU (LUCKY YOU!) HAVE BEEN CHOSEN
TO DEFEAT THOSE NASTY HELL SPAWNED CREATURES. BUT THIS TIME THEY ARE READY,ALL OF THEIR ABILITYS HAVE BEEN INCREASED, HEY DON'T LOOK SAD, YOUR WEAPONS HAVE BEEN MODIFYED TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!! (YES!!) BUT DON'T THINK IT'S ALL THAT SIMPLE, ONLY A "WIMPY GIRLY MAN" WOULD NOT WANT THE CHALLENGE OF ULTRA DOOM2X!

Was this sent to you courtesy of some dodgy banker from Nigeria? Coz it sure reads like it.

This mod was pretty fun actually, and for an early mod, actually really well done.