Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

New ThunderCats cartoon.

Any get a chance to see a some episodes of the new ThunderCats? I just finished watching the first 3 and I must say its shaping up to be a pretty good show. They did a good job mixing the old with the new when it comes to modernizing the lore and such. For those you that might be out of the loop the series is prequel to the 80's cartoon. It about the events that took place on Thundera before it was destroyed at the start of the 80's cartoon.

Technician said:

Also, the original ThunderCats sucked hard.

I have to say I agree on this one. I saw a couple episodes of the original series and, honestly, I would rather have put my head up my own ass and listened to myself have gas for an hour than watch any one part of the show.

Hopefully, the new series will improve on the show, primarily the acting, (from what I remember the "acting" was done as they were reading the script in front of them, and sounded every bit as much). If it comes on and there's nothing else to watch, I might try to sit through an episode, otherwise this might be another one that I'll have to be forced to watch.

EDIT: And please GOD tell me Snarf's not going to be in it.

Shadow Dweller said:

EDIT: And please GOD tell me Snarf's not going to be in it.

Yes he is, but he's actually not annoying in this one.

I haven't seen the original Thundercats for a decade when I used to hang out with stoners who would watch it every afternoon on Cartoon Network... Then last year I had a date with a beauty pageant winner that wouldn't shut up about Thundercats. It was bizarre that of all people the beauty queen would be talking about the old cartoon.

Ugh. I saw the pilot episode a few weeks back. I think I'm just going to port over my thoughts on it from another forum:

Saw the pilot episode on CN on demand this past week. Or maybe it was last week. (Hey, my nieces and nephew wanted to see it and my sister turned it on, don't judge me! :P ) Well, for one it's the most obvious furry-themed show I've known the existence of, and it certainly did a poor job with the cats on that part. I mean really, the dogs and lizards look right, but the cats are basically humans with fur, claws, big ears, and tails? Come on! (...Maybe I've been on the internet too long.) It started off promising, for the most part. Great music, an anime-influenced style that actually looks kind of like anime and ISN'T shot at like 6 frames per second (looking at you, Avatar: The Last Timewaster), voice acting that sounds like it has actual effort put into it, and it showed some promise with a potential plot point: The lizard slaves being an oppressed people only desiring freedom and equality. There was some cheesiness with the whole "Thundercats POWER!!!" or whatever the hell the battlecry was, the names OH GOD the names, and the generic brotherly rivalry, but I'm guessing some of that just carries over from the original series.

Anything good about it (except the music) went right out the window as soon as the main plot gets set in motion. Nope, no deep story of oppressed races or anything, not allowed! The lizards (except one of the guys herocat saves) are all generic American kids' show villains who are literally stupid enough to STAND IN ONE SPOT AS ONE OF THE "BADASS" HEROES FLIES AROUND AND BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF THEM WITH NO EFFORT yet somehow they're a massive threat to everyone in the world. Not even the battlemechs saved it. (Just think of it, battlemechs piloted by anthropomorphic reptiles?! Toss in a few dragons and you've got the most AWESOME thing EVER created for television!) Just, AGH. If you're going to make the superior species/group of the series the star villains, at least make them cool, threatening, and have an IQ of MORE THAN 60.

I didn't see any reason for it to have the TV-PG rating either. No blood, no cursing, no violence above that of say, DragonBall Kai or really anything that couldn't be shown on a TV-Y7 FV rating. Well, I suppose they did say "die" instead of "destroy" once or twice, and obviously that's too hot for kids' TV.

...I think I just more or less wrote a script for a decent rant video.

I thought it was okay (and not all that furry), but the setup was pretty anime, and I'm pretty jaded, so the slightly-nerdy but skilled protagonist who's destined to be king though his older brother is purportedly a much cooler guy and whose future love interest follows him around and is attracted to his "different" personality grated on me.

and Thundercats wasn't really the pinnacle of 80s cartoons, but it gave us Blundercats, so all is absolved

I watched some teaser video of the new series, and then watched a small bit of the original thing (as it was so long ago, I can barely remember it). I have to say, it's a great improvement.

I can't say though that I would actually add the series to my watch list, but I did sit through an entire episode without any urges to vomit my intestines up. This looks to be one of those unique exceptions where the new is better than the old. Still too furry though.

Check out the differences in art design. Sure has come a long way...

Obligatory Blundercats

Personally I'm still looking forward to Beavis and Butthead, but let see how this turns out

It's cute. Being that it's for kids, so beyond that looking for some kind of socio-political commentary is just dumb. I like the voice acting and the animation is well done. My brother and I were pretty into Thundercats as kids, I'll have to download some for him when he gets back from Europe.

So Snarf is like a cat lizard right? And they're all cat humans ... So if we're all normal humans would our Snarf be like a monkey?