Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

PSX sound effects Vs. PC sound effects

So, which do you prefer? (not talking about the music here) Personally, I like the PSX sounds a bit better, not sure why. I guess they're a little less generic, and more atmospheric. I think they work well with regular music and not ambiance as well, dunno why some people say they only work well with ambiance.

I personally like to play using the 3DO soundtrack and the PSX sounds, it's quite a nice combo.

I prefer the PSX sound effects just because that was the first version I played and I got used to those sounds.

These were the ones that sounded most "wrong" to me when I first played the PC version:

• The high-pitched zombie death scream
  • The plasma gun firing
  • Teleports
  • Cyberdemon/spider stomp sounds (not because of the samples but because they are played twice as often.)
Most of the others are not radically different though. You could probably mix and match them and it would still sound OK.

Too echoey. I'm okay with them in Doom 64 because everything else is modified too; but otherwise it just feels gratuitous to have everything sound different for difference's sake.

Also one of the grunt PSX chase sounds corresponds to a wake up sound from the PC version, and it always annoys me to feel like there's a horde of zombies waking up when it's just one single moron wandering around trying to find its path to me.

I feel that the sounds for PSX are only fitting for D64. I like them, but they don't fit into PC DOOM imo.

I rarely play PC Doom without the PSX sound wad. I just really like the bass-heavy, higher quality samples. The originals are scratchy and gritty. They're iconic, for sure, and I don't mind them, but the PSX ones are just more satisfying. It would be cool if there were replacement sounds for the archvile.

Gez said:

Too echoey. I'm okay with them in Doom 64 because everything else is modified too; but otherwise it just feels gratuitous to have everything sound different for difference's sake.

Also one of the grunt PSX chase sounds corresponds to a wake up sound from the PC version, and it always annoys me to feel like there's a horde of zombies waking up when it's just one single moron wandering around trying to find its path to me.

Yeah, that took me a while to get used to coming off the back of the 32X version, though I still prefer the PSX sounds. Some of Doom II's monster sounds I found a bit jarring at first, namely the PE and Hell Knight.

PSX Doom sound effects downright kick ass and reminds me of torment. Them being on Doom 64 is even more fitting.

I like both equally. Although, I never use a PSX sound wad combined with the original music. I don't know why, they just don't really seem to fit.

PSX, by far. The PC sound FX are weak in comparison. People will likely prefer the audio from whichever version they played first (I played PSX Doom first) understandably, but I have always felt like the PSX audio sounded much better and added much more to the atmosphere than the original (in terms of both FX and music).

The PC sounds fit with the hard rock/metal midis that go along with it. THe PSX sounds fit with the accompanying dark ambient soundtrack. Mixing them together tends to be weird. I played the PC version first, but I remember back in '96, shortly after Final Doom's release, being absolutely FLOORED by the sounds. They were just so damned intimidating. I can't decide which one is my favorite.

PRIMEVAL said:

I feel that the sounds for PSX are only fitting for D64. I like them, but they don't fit into PC DOOM imo.

Yeah that's basically my opinion on it too. I didn't find out about PSX Doom and it's whacky features until much later. It's a weird branch between PC Doom and Doom64 the way I see it.

Cyanosis said:

Console Doom in general rather, is much darker than it's PC version.

Even the SNES version, which is the closest to the PC version, is a lot darker and even scarier.

The PSX sounds really aren't that echoey, it's the effects applied to them ingame. The PSX sound effects WAD everyone's been using was likely taken from direct recordings from a PSX, not actually ripped from the game files.

I've assembled a WAD using rips straight from the game, not nearly as echoey. Should I upload this to idgames, seeing as it's an improvement?

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/g_4o-1kN_J/sodapsxs.zip
(663kb)

Funny, I've never noticed any echo effects on the soundpack I've been using - probably because it was ripped from Kaiser's ConsoleDoom wad :P

But yeah, the reverb effects are applied by the maps, which is why they are absent in outdoor areas.

PSX without a doubt, the shotgun actually sounds like a shotgun and all the new enemy sounds are fantastic (Especially the barons)
The soundtrack is fantastic too and i cant even play doom with the midis anymore.

Some from one are good, some from another are good!

The PSX sound effects seem to suit atmospheric levels with less enemies better (it's probably the echoes). However on densely populated slaughter maps they don't fit at all.

I guess I'm one of the few that actually prefers the PC sounds. It's more habit though. I've been hearing those sounds at those tones for most of my life, so it seems weird any other way.

deathbringer said:

The PSX sound effects seem to suit atmospheric levels with less enemies better (it's probably the echoes). However on densely populated slaughter maps they don't fit at all.

You do realize that there's no echoing at all in the PSX sound effects, right?

The reripped PSX sounds you posted earlier still sound pretty reverb-heavy to me, but maybe that's just my philistine ears playing tricks on me. Of course, I have no interest in hearing the new sounds outside of Doom 64, anyway.

Mithran Denizen said:

The reripped PSX sounds you posted earlier still sound pretty reverb-heavy to me, but maybe that's just my philistine ears playing tricks on me.

I can't hear a bit of reverb in the raw sounds, probably is your ears playing tricks on you.