Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yuri04

tired of hr style wads

everytime i pick up a new wad i find something like hr, with hordes of monsters almost impossible to get through. since i'm not the best doomer you may expect,and i think dealing with 100+ monsters in a single room is quite irritating, are there any wads which are still challenging but not impossible? the only wads that matched my taste were 2002: a doom's odyssey, the rebirth and wos for some maps.

I'd recommend Jenesis, if only for the fact that I deliberately made it as un-slaughter-style as I possibly could, but I think many argue that it's still quite hard. It's not quite Speed of Doom territory, but definitely very challenging all the same. Certainly play HMP before UV.

Marnetmar said:

DTWID

It's kinda... not done... yet.

I suppose Daedalus and RTC-3057 focus on gameplay that is not about fighting revenants and chaingunners without cover. They aren't "classic" doom megawads, they require zdoom, but I think they are among the most atmospheric projects ever.

If you prefer something more classic-ish, Eternal Doom is a great megawad. I think however that after a few maps some texture choices are starting to get repetitive, and the music perhaps too. But the design is good and gameplay is prety balanced combat-wise - read NOT HR style.

Killing adventure. There are no other "easy" wads I like as much as this one.

Eternal doom has quite a lot tougher encounters. Pretty much all maps since map 3 feature cybs and spiderdemons. Although I suppose it gets trivialised when one does save a lot.

I couldn't agree more! Try all of these, if you look around enough you'll find alot of classic-styled WADs and non-slaughter maps, I think most people actually prefer them

ellmo said:

It's kinda... not done... yet.

I suppose Daedalus and RTC-3057 focus on gameplay that is not about fighting revenants and chaingunners without cover.

Can't speak for Daedalus, but RTC doesn't focus on any gameplay at all. It's basically just a half assed "atmospheric" switch hunt.

I can second Suspended in Dusk though. Not really my cup of tea anymore because it's too easy for me, but then again I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it.

Phml please don't butcher your posts? No one is going to harm you.

Although there are indeed many hr-style wads, this thread is basically going to become another thread where everybody lists their favorite SP wad, since regular style wads actually far outweigh hr-style.

But fine, i'll bite. Insertion.

Snakes said:

Unholy Realms demo.

Go. Play. Have fun.

I think unholy realms is cool, but I'm mainly glad because now I don't feel bad doing this.

Just gonna go off on a tangent here real quick

Snakes said:

Unholy Realms demo.

Go. Play. Have fun.

Congrats on your 1000th post! I demand you shotgun a beer.

[/tangent]

There are surely a couple levels in here that are overloaded, but I would certainly recommend Congestion 1024 which is entirely made up of cleverly designed levels that do not exceed a space greater than 1024x1024. Trust me, it is worth playing through

Since Khorus is gonna bust out his episode pimp, I am too!

Double Impact for Doom 1. Play ours after you play his and enjoy all the Doom 1 goodness. If it's too difficult on ultraviolent, try Hurt Me Plenty. RottKing spent a decent amount of time balancing the skill levels.

Ralphis said:

Since Khorus is gonna bust out his episode pimp, I am too!

Double Impact for Doom 1. Play ours after you play his and enjoy all the Doom 1 goodness. If it's too difficult on ultraviolent, try Hurt Me Plenty. RottKing spent a decent amount of time balancing the skill levels.

<3 <3

gggmork said:

Tatsu Vid

It's a damn shame Shredder's version is up on you tube. Acceptable substitute and a good catch, though :)

Kirby said:

Just gonna go off on a tangent here real quick

Congrats on your 1000th post! I demand you shotgun a beer.

[/tangent]

My 1000th post was a shameless self-plug? Damn the luck!

Seriously, though: Ganymede and TVR! are straight-fire.

Classic Episode (class_ep.wad), and also other stuff by same authors
Dark Covenant (darkcvnt.wad)
anything by TiC (sudtic, teutic, obtic) and Mike Reed (Hoover Dam, Bleeding Tower of Pisa, etc.)

Nobody's mentioned Mapgame? For shame. Now I look arrogant and self-aggrandizing. :V

my best suggestion is to not be ashamed of playing on lesser skill levels. No one is gonna judge you on your dooming abilities. (I hope not) I think it's more important to experience an entire megawad than it is to be discouraged halfway into it because of extreme difficulty. And if wads are still bothering you even on lesser skill levels, maybe wads oriented around various skills of players is a niche you could fill in the community with your own mapping.

I don't have a problem with HR style wads, except that mappers that do them do tend to go way overboard with the monster, like Huy Pham's Deus Vult wads for example. Good HR style wads that don't go too overboard are the Vrack wads, AV, and Scythe 1 and 2. I'll still say that TVR! is a good megawad that is fun, challenging, and doesn't rely on ridiculous monster counts.