Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
waverider

About having more than one sky texture in an episode

Hello.

I had a question. I'm working on a project where I'd like to have more than one sky texture for the episode I'm making. I was wondering how this is done?

So for instance, how do I make it so Map01-06 has one sky texture and 07-11 has another? I'm making this project for Boom-compatible ports by the way. I looked up CChest2 for instance, which has this feature, Map23 has one sky, 24 has another, etc., but I couldn't figure it out.

Would be grateful for any help. Thanks!

They're most likely using the MBF sky transfer special, which should be line action 271. Note that it's not strictly "Boom compatible", but it'll work in most of the popular ports that extend upon Boom.

Thanks for the quick answer,

I've looked in CChest2 again, but it doesn't seem like they're using that MBF sky transfer special there. I've also looked in another megawad where I've seen more than one sky texture in one episode, and that was Whispers of Satan. There they seem to use the MBF sky transfer in some maps, map18 for instance.

While that MBF sky transfer definitely seem to work very well, the method in CChest2 seems even better imo as they don't seem to have tagged the sectors there and that seems like far less work to do, do you know what method they might have used there?

Mithran Denizen said:

They're most likely using the MBF sky transfer special, which should be line action 271. Note that it's not strictly "Boom compatible", but it'll work in most of the popular ports that extend upon Boom.

Could it be something as simple as map-to-map changes in the MAPINFO lump? I did that with my Call of the Apostate levelset; it was an E3 conversion, but featured 3 different skies. I used MAPINFO to tell each individual level what sky to use. Hope that helps.

waverider said:

I've looked in CChest2 again, but it doesn't seem like they're using that MBF sky transfer special there.

Map 24 is using sky transfers, take a look at the linedefs in sector 1351.

Vordakk said:

Could it be something as simple as map-to-map changes in the MAPINFO lump? I did that with my Call of the Apostate levelset; it was an E3 conversion, but featured 3 different skies. I used MAPINFO to tell each individual level what sky to use. Hope that helps.

The project I'm making is for Boom, so I can't try that. But thanks anyway!

GreyGhost said:

Map 24 is using sky transfers, take a look at the linedefs in sector 1351.

Ahh, thanks for pointing this out, you're right. I should have looked more carefully in DB, then I should've seen the Transfer section. What they used in CChest2 Map24 and also map23 is the linedef action 272, I only looked for 271, but I should've looked in the Properties section, where I could clearly find them both :P

The only thing I don't understand is that in Map23, the two sky transfer actions aren't tagged, and still it works just fine. But I guess sky transfers is the way to go anyways, sure it will be a little extra work, but it's a good solution nevertheless.

CC3 also uses the MBF sky transfer. :)

waverider said:

The only thing I don't understand is that in Map23, the two sky transfer actions aren't tagged, and still it works just fine.

But they are, with tag 0.

Use3D said:

CC3 also uses the MBF sky transfer. :)

But they are, with tag 0.

Hah, I had no idea you could use tag 0 :P Does that work often?

Allowing the line special to use tag zero will just transfer sky to any sector using f_sky1 that is also tagged zero. It's a handy way to use sky transfers, since you won't have to go around tagging every open sector.

Use3D said:

Allowing the line special to use tag zero will just transfer sky to any sector using f_sky1 that is also tagged zero. It's a handy way to use sky transfers, since you won't have to go around tagging every open sector.

Wow, that will be so helpful, thanks a lot :D That is exactly the kind of feature I was hoping would exist :)