Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

John Romero and Tom Hall are looking for experienced game designers

Technician said:

Resume. Man's got street cred, yo.

He seems to alternate a lot between working on ambitious projects and then little ones with Tom Hall. From a gamer's perspective you have to wonder if he'll ever make anything worth caring about. From a career perspective you basically have to anticipate something short term because he burns through companies pretty fast.

Hope the venture goes well for everyone involved. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make a "social game" that's better than all the other ones I blocked on FB. Dangerous Dave's Farm!

I was about to post how as far as I'm concerned Romero has faded into obscurity after the atrocity that was Daikatana, but ccording to this he's apparently been involved with various well-known games that I wasn't aware he had anything to do with (Half-Life, Deus Ex, Red Faction). I guess I should read more.

Aliotroph? said:

Hope the venture goes well for everyone involved. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make a "social game" that's better than all the other ones I blocked on FB. Dangerous Dave's Farm!

How about a version of Doom that plays like Vampire Wars or Mafia Wars? With all the usual waiting or buying useless in-game crap with real money ;-)

Man I'd love to work alongside Tom Hall and John Romero. Unfortunately the Min. Experience level required for the position is "Experienced" and I'm not sure I meet that qualification.

Seriously. Why post this here? It's not like any of us have relevant job references. Maybe one or two of us can get away with an impressive resume.

Doom Dude said:

So what happened to that MMO he was working on?

His company stuffed it on the back burner, probably so they could do something to make cash in the mean time as they were owned by another company he claims to have helped found. Then he bailed on that company to start the new one.

It seems he was lead designer on this. I note that there's yet another company name attached to it!

40oz said:

Experience level required for the position is "Experienced" and I'm not sure I meet that qualification.

You're not sure? Didn't you know, Wawa is just like working in the video game industry.

Bucket said:

Seriously. Why post this here? It's not like any of us have relevant job references.

Kaiser comes to mind...

I am a games software developer - I have a degree that says so. Don't think I'm experienced though, much as I'd love to get in on this sort of thing. Modding Doom probably doesn't cut it, otherwise I've got 15 years or so of experience :P

Bucket said:

Seriously. Why post this here? It's not like any of us have relevant job references.

Except, of course, the dozens of people here who have programmed source ports or their own games. Or the hundreds with plenty of level design experience.

Danarchy said:

Except, of course, the dozens of people here who have programmed source ports or their own games. Or the hundreds with plenty of level design experience.

Portfolio =/= professional experience.

Bucket said:

Portfolio =/= professional experience.

If you're good enough they won't care. That's how job applications work: they're full of crap to weed out the people with no resolve. If you're easily good enough to do the work and can prove it you might get it. This is of course assuming they don't find somebody who is just as good and has all the things on the list. Then there's personality issues, and all that other crap that goes with working for somebody, especially if you have to relocate.

Considering how much Romero has been interested in the community in the past, I don't think he'd be above just hiring some of the better wad authors and port programmers from around here.