Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

Mid-Autumn Festival

Mid-Autumn Festival, one of the traditional chinese festival which is held at 15th day of eighth month in the Chinese calendar(Between September to October), and it's also a very famous festival around the world. Due to the spread of Chinese culture, this festival also seen in Japan, Vietnam, Singapore, Korea, and even in Western country etc.

This year Mid-Autumn Festival will held at 12th September. During Mid-Autumn Festival people will celebrate it by eating mooncake, take a lantern, sing poems while looking at the moon, solving chinese riddles etc.

And here's a 2 short histories(Or Stories) related to Mid-Autumn Festival:

1. At Yuen Dynasty, fucking Mongolians Cyberdemons keep on hulimating Han Chinese people. Zhu Yuanzhang(Also the first king of Ming Dynasty) decided to revolute, but Mongolians are fully controlling China very tight. Therefore he put a piece of paper inside a cake during Mid-Autumn Festival, the words inside the paper says "Fuck all Mongolians bastards at 15/8(Not Western date)". And indeed the revoulution succeeds.

2. This story is a Myth. During 3000+++ years ago, a guy named "Houyi" is good at shooting arrows(Also said to be BFG shoots). It was known that at that period there's 9 suns. He shoot 8 suns after that, then he was awarded to be China's emporer. However he started to become a bad ass after getting a soulsphere, he starts to work with Dr. Betruger and send 3 hunters to fuck people around(Of course his plan fails). One day he get a invulnerabilty powerup from Xi Wangmu(Queen mother of west), if anyone takes this powerup, not only have 10000+++ HP, it also can become fairy. When Houyi's wife "Chang'e" know about it, she takes the invulnerabilty powerup. Very soon she becomes a fairy and fly to the moon.

Does anyone here know or celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival? if yes, why not share your experience? Let everyone learn more about Chinese culture!

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

1. At Yuen Dynasty, fucking Mongolians Cyberdemons keep on hulimating Han Chinese people. Zhu Yuanzhang(Also the first king of Ming Dynasty) decided to revolute, but Mongolians are fully controlling China very tight. Therefore he put a piece of paper inside a cake during Mid-Autumn Festival, the words inside the paper says "Fuck all Mongolians bastards at 15/8(Not Western date)". And indeed the revoulution succeeds.

2. This story is a Myth. During 3000+++ years ago, a guy named "Houyi" is good at shooting arrows(Also said to be BFG shoots). It was known that at that period there's 9 suns. He shoot 8 suns after that, then he was awarded to be China's emporer. However he started to become a bad ass after getting a soulsphere, he starts to work with Dr. Betruger and send 3 hunters to fuck people around(Of course his plan fails). One day he get a invulnerabilty powerup from Xi Wangmu(Queen mother of west), if anyone takes this powerup, not only have 10000+++ HP, it also can become fairy. When Houyi's wife "Chang'e" know about it, she takes the invulnerabilty powerup. Very soon she becomes a fairy and fly to the moon.

Loved those descriptions.

I have never heard of it. If my Chinese friends here celebrate it they don't talk about it. They do, however, make a big event of Chinese New Year and some western holidays like Christmas and Halloween.

I just realized the mooncake my mom's friend gave her was because of this. Interesting and strange food.

Technician said:

I read this thread's title as Mid-Autism Festival. I got to get off of the internet.

Reading the OP makes me realize that your assumption was correct.

All that stuff about the moon reminds me of the Lunar New Year in WoW. That's supposed to coincide with Chinese New Year, though.

They're not called "Fucking Monglians" they're called "Fuckin' Mongolians". Especially when burning down great libraries.
Anyway I too wasn't aware of this festival, I'll have to ask the Chinese people at work about it.

Technician said:

They won't tell you, whitey.

I've noticed most of my Chinese friends can't tell me. Their parents probably could, but they don't try because their English is poor. My friends can't tell me because their Cantonese is too poor to understand the answer. Madness!

What I have noticed they won't tell me are Chinese swears. I think they all know there are a couple of us who would happily go around spitting out Chinese swears like we do with English ones and it scares them somehow.

I should mention this isn't something limited to my Chinese friends. Most of the Catholic ones couldn't tell me anything useful about most of their holidays either, for example.

Aliotroph? said:

I've noticed most of my Chinese friends can't tell me. Their parents probably could, but they don't try because their English is poor. My friends can't tell me because their Cantonese is too poor to understand the answer. Madness!

That's only one of the reason. Another reason is that most chinese teenagers know too little about the traditional chinese culture, all they know is Chang'e flying to moon, lantern, mooncakes etc, but know only 5% of its history. Same thing come to Chinese New Year.