Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Hard Reset; the next attempt to make a modern classic Doom style game?

This is more classic than either of Hard Reset or Wrack

• no ADS
• lulz
• Clean graphics
• lulz
• explosions
•"realistic" scenarios
• high levels of manliness (I CAN DRIVE WITH ONE HAND AND SHOOT AT THE SAME TIME) without feeling retarded (DNF, Bulletstorm)

No. Counterstrike San Andreas is not old school.

40oz said:

yet you claim carn's cellshaded quake2 with a sidedish of platformer jumping will deliver t3h oldschool onto us...?

40oz said:

No. I didnt.

It's hardly scratching the surface for doing a solid old-school feeling game. I don't mean to sound like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, but something along the lines of Carnevil's Wrack shows way more promise at grasping that feel than Hard Reset is doing.

esselfortium said:

At this point I'm wondering if you suffer panic attacks from visual overstimulation when you walk outside your house.

Holy shit essel, that's probably the hardest I've laughed in weeks.

Regarding the game itself, it really does look fun. My only concerns are that the weapons look too similar to each other; I'm never gonna figure out which upgrade does what. Another thing is that I enjoy killing humanoids much more than robots. But hey, I can probably live through both because otherwise it looks like a great game.

40oz, just keep playing Doom and stay out of threads about new games. We know you think new games suck. That's fine. Stop trolling.

dew said:

yet you claim carn's cellshaded quake2 with a sidedish of platformer jumping will deliver t3h oldschool onto us...?

Well, I'm not consciously trying to do that. Mostly I'm just trying to make something that's a lot of fun, and it just so happens to be turning out like a Doom-style game. Hmm, imagine that :)

Anyway, I just hope Hard Reset does a good job. Hopefully it'll leave people wanting more Doom-style games... not less.

40oz said:

What's not old school about it?

I'll clarify that Carnevil's Wrack is not perfect (at least for a type of game that I'm in demand for), I've only seen screenshots, heard some music and soundfx, and watched a trailer with brief snippets of the games action. I can't verify for sure that it will be the be all end all of modern gaming meets old school gaming. All I'm saying is that it is significantly closer to being an oldschool shooter than Hard Reset is aiming to be. Allow me to explain.

1. Unlike Hard Reset, the levels are cleanly designed as arenas for fighting or obstacles to exercise the player's agility. This is achieved by making floors flat-surfaced and distinctively textured than the surrounding walls and ceilings (the parts you cant move on) and refraining from overactive unreasonable detailing as opposed to Hard Reset's movie set design philosiphy. There's no dumpsters or dynamically moving barrels or any other junk that could potentially obstruct the players movement because it's completely unnecessary for the core gameplay. It would just get in the way; aesthetically and visually.

2. Unlike Hard Reset, the graphics don't look like every modern scifi military shooter ever. Cel-shaded graphics aren't exactly original, but it does provide a bit of a lofty cartoony feel which feels much more welcoming. The ability to depict the extreme level of comical violence and gore in games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom and Rise of the Triad without making people uneasy is in part due to it's comedic low-level graphics. Simple cel-shaded 3D models are probably the best option to create a more inviting and more importantly, old school kind of atmosphere in this sort of game.

3. Unlike Hard Reset, the weapons are about as simple as you need them to be. A pistol, a shotgun, and a sword. I doubt anyone is going to have any trouble figuring out what these things do. There's no lightning ball gun that shoots orbs that stretch lightning bolts everywhere or bouncy explosive flashbang launchers. The levels don't appear expect the player to acquire weapon upgrades, or have increased abilities earned after a long lasting playthrough of the game. All the obstacles shown in the trailer show the player either running, jumping or shooting; all utilizing the abilities the player started and ended with.

There's a lot of things I do think Wrack is missing for a definite old-school feeling game, but I'll save that for another thread. It's still hard to tell without seeing the game being played in anything other than a promotional trailer. But I've seen the promotional trailers AND gameplay videos for Hard Reset and it's not nearly as special as it's being made up to be.

I sure hope this game comes out soon so we can stop talking about it :-)

40oz said:

1. Unlike Hard Reset, the levels are cleanly designed as arenas for fighting or obstacles to exercise the player's agility. This is achieved by making floors flat-surfaced and distinctively textured than the surrounding walls and ceilings (the parts you cant move on) and refraining from overactive unreasonable detailing as opposed to Hard Reset's movie set design philosiphy. There's no dumpsters or dynamically moving barrels or any other junk that could potentially obstruct the players movement because it's completely unnecessary for the core gameplay. It would just get in the way; aesthetically and visually.

esselfortium said:

You said yourself that it's cyberpunk overrun by robots. Not cyberpunk overrun by robot housemaid street-sweepers.

Also you're pretty much contradicting what you said before about having things disappear if they move too far away from their original position or just flat out disappear when shot. Now you're just saying that they should be removed altogether, leaving dull and empty arenas.

Also flat boring arenas instead of interesting layouts with height variation? FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!

2. Unlike Hard Reset, the graphics don't look like every modern scifi military shooter ever. Cel-shaded graphics aren't exactly original, but it does provide a bit of a lofty cartoony feel which feels much more welcoming.

The developers aren't going for a lofty cartoony feel. It's supposed to be a dystopic city being overrun by violent robots. It wouldn't make sense for everything to be all sparkly and colorful and shit.

3. Unlike Hard Reset, the weapons are about as simple as you need them to be. A pistol, a shotgun, and a sword. I doubt anyone is going to have any trouble figuring out what these things do. There's no lightning ball gun that shoots orbs that stretch lightning bolts everywhere or bouncy explosive flashbang launchers. The levels don't appear expect the player to acquire weapon upgrades, or have increased abilities earned after a long lasting playthrough of the game. All the obstacles shown in the trailer show the player either running, jumping or shooting; all utilizing the abilities the player started and ended with.

That "bouncy explosive flashban launcher" is a grenade launcher. If you really knew anything about old school shooters you'd know they're pretty old school.

So basically what you want is a game with nothing but boring and completely generic weapons (which incidentally, pretty much appear in every CoD clone game, you know, the ones you're constantly complaining about) that have no real unique features and require almost no skill to master?

40oz said:

It's good to know you don't need a brain to play this game!

Also you should seriously consider I'myourtarget's advice. Stop shitting all over video game discussions with your anti-videogame boycott faggotry. You're only making an ass of yourself.

40oz said:

It would just get in the way; aesthetically and visually.

...what? Aren't those basically the same word, or at least visual is a more specific form of aesthetic? Nice redundancy.

I love how you want all games to look boring as hell. Seriously, if DooM were a bit more detailed it would probably have "clutter and junk" all over the place too. Because it makes sense, and it looks better as long as it doesn't get in the way completely.

Do you cry whenever you see a candelabra when playing DooM 1? Maybe the pillars in E2M3 make you roll up in a corner. Seriously, games other than DooM exist, and they don't all suck.

On the bright side, I'm glad you keep your house clean. Otherwise you would keep trying to walk into things for a while instead of walking around them.

Justince said:

Is there any reason anyone should care what you think of video games? At all? You have no credibility and everyone thinks you're a joke.

The same reason anyone here has the freedom to post. Why are you posting on an open forum if you're only going to make posts directed towards one person?

A comparison of Hard Reset to Wrack is not a contradiction. Wrack does things its own way, and it appears more old school. Hard Reset does the same thing as everything else, and it doesn't. Go figure. I don't remember anyone's comments on Wrack being anywhere along the lines of being bad or not making sense because it's allegedly sticking strictly to boring lifeless level design that lacks interesting layouts and height variation. Especially since those critical judgements simply aren't true.

I don't get what all this "they didn't do this because it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense, it DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE" garbage is about either. A macho babe-lovin, cigar-smokin, badass-lookin hardass with sunglasses is saving the world from an alien invasion doesn't make sense. Or going on to destroy some kind of Neo-Nazi cult taking place on a series of ancient monasteries with floating platforms on them doesn't make sense, or that military bases isolated on different planets had winding computer wall mazes and radioactive spills. All games have elements of not making sense so using that as some kind of reasoning to debunk my criticism is ridiculous.

I'm with 40oz here. I have no idea who he is, but its a forum... people talk on forums. Its what keeps us talking about this game instead of letting the topic drop like it did for EYE.

40oz said:

I don't get what all this "they didn't do this because it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense, it DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE" garbage is about either. A macho babe-lovin, cigar-smokin, badass-lookin hardass with sunglasses is saving the world from an alien invasion doesn't make sense. Or going on to destroy some kind of Neo-Nazi cult taking place on a series of ancient monasteries with floating platforms on them doesn't make sense, or that military bases isolated on different planets had winding computer wall mazes and radioactive spills. All games having elements of not making sense so using that as some kind of reasoning to debunk my criticism is ridiculous.

Oh lawdy, how do you manage to fit all this bullshit up your ass? It's like you have an endless stream of it to pull out. We're not talking about the logic of a guy fighting robots in a dystopic city, we're talking about keeping the theme in of the level designs consistant with the setting and plot.

Do you see Duke Nukem fighting aliens in an ancient Quake themed castle? Do you see BJ Blatzowitch fighting nazis in a high tech futuristic military installation or modern day Manhattan? No, you don't, because that's not the setting and theme the developers chose to go with.

Also I gave the demo a try and while it only contained the first level instead of the first and second, I'm sure you'll be satisfied to know that it's fairly different from the press demo in terms of linearity. There's a few more branching areas that the player can explore to find additional goodies. And no, debris that has been tossed about doesn't obstruct the player's movement. Most of it can easily be pushed out of the player's path and even the debris that can't be pushed out of the way can usually be walked over. If anything it only serves to enhance the gameplay by adding a dynamic element to the levels.

Oh and TB's complaint about the weapons' variants being confusing isn't very accurate. It's extremely easy to tell the difference between them due to the fact that both the weapon model and crosshair change depeneding on which weapon combination you're currently using. It also displays the weapon variant's name on your HUD.

Getting it now.

edit >>> Uggg I'm playing it and apparently my video card isn't good enough. minimum 512 video card... uggg... I can't even make it past the intro video to even get to the game. Can't escape... back to playing Half Life.

Oh wow. The demo took me 10-15 minutes to complete. It plays almost EXACTLY like a modern shooter and is loltastically bad to boot. Invisible walls everywhere. Level design is single plane. Freedom of movement is practically non-existant. Worst 15 minutes of gametime I've had for 10 years and I've played Duke Nukem Forever.

Played through the demo, some notes:
-It's playable on lowest settings on my three years old computer (and even back then this wasn't exactly top of the line)
-The selected weapon mode's name is visible in the gui
-You can change the amount of debris
-You can disable hints
-You move way too slow, and the enemies move way too fast. Basically, when fighting enemies the ONLY strategy is backstepping while shooting.
-All enemies in the demo were melee only. And they move faster than you do. ffs.
-Shooting the enemies at different parts can have different effects, for example shooting the big rushing robots in legs destroys the legs and makes them crawl around.
-Enemies always came straight ahead.
-You really need to use exploding barrels
-Why are there security announcements in American English but advertisements in Japanese in this European district?

I could consider paying 20 eur for this, but it certainly isn't worth more than that.

Oh come on Shaviro it's not that bad...though I do agree it kinda feels like any other modern shooter.

I really think it is that bad.
Stupid and lazy "puzzles". Stupid and lazy level design. Stupid and lazy flow. It's so blatantly obvious that no thought went into creating it at all. You're not going to succeed in creating a modern classic along the lines of Doom, Duke Nukem3D or Half-life 1 by dumbing the levels (and everything else) down even further than the "modern shooter". It's just insulting.

I just ordered a new graphics card to play this... amonst all the other Steam games I've bought... yet can't play :-) I couldn't play it on my computer I bought in December... stupid E-Machine. I hope that it even has expansion slots. It looks like there is one but it looks... small and stubby like the card will be taller than the slot.

>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5083793&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

Honestly my biggest gripe with this is the obscene amount of health enemies have. Popcorn enemies shouldn't take 10 bullets to die. It's hard to stay on target when the screen shakes so much, too.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. It is fun once you get into the groove of it.

... since I can't play it :-( I'm watching videos of it and the video intro / cut scenes saying the computer AI got too smart. From everyone's gripes... I'd say they didn't. ooo human RUN FORWARD!

btw... QUAKE 1 DEMO >> http://download.cnet.com/Quake-demo/3000-2095_4-10002186.html

Give it a play!!! Compare Quake 1's demo to Hard Reset.

If you go to Extras theres a benchmark option.

My setup:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (dual core, 2-thread) @ 2.33 Ghz; 4MB L2cache
RAM - 4GB DDR2 @ 332.5 Mhz
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6870; 256-bit width; 1GB DDR5; 915Mhz core-clock; 1050 MHz memory-clock

1680x1050, max settings

Results: 10 / 71.6 / 21.9 fps

anyone want to post their benchmarks?