Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Favorite moment in DooM 64

What was your favorite moment in DooM 64? And why was it your favorite? For me it is when I was first introduced to the Cyberdemon because I thought the level was so easy and also because I was not expecting him to be on that level since usually they will put a lot of rockets before you actually fight him.

I'm gonna have to play the game again because there's so many moments, I don't know which to choose. I remember renting the game numerous times, and being particularly impressed by the secret levels, as well as "Watch Your Step."

Getting past map 7 and enjoying the creepy ambient music trackes (esp. map 9, 12 and 13)

Mr. Chris said:

Getting past map 7 and enjoying the creepy ambient music trackes (esp. map 9, 12 and 13)

Yeah I love the music on map 13, just a bunch of moans and groans, my favorite :)

The moment when I realized that most of the game takes place in Hell, to which I said (insert location here) yes.

I can't list all the moments I've enjoyed playing Doom 64, but if I had to choose, the use of colored lighting really made Doom come alive. I don't think I've every made a Doom that didn't have colored lighting.

Technician said:

I can't list all the moments I've enjoyed playing Doom 64, but if I had to choose, the use of colored lighting really made Doom come alive. I don't think I've every made a Doom that didn't have colored lighting.

Hehe me neither I love the colored lighting.

I like that gigantic piston thing on map02 that smashes the floor in and grants access to the tunnels.

Megalyth said:

I like that gigantic piston thing on map02 that smashes the floor in and grants access to the tunnels.

Yeah I remember when the smashing sequence was finished I didn't want to jump down there because I thought it would smash down and instantly kill me.

I've already mentioned this, but the secret levels were a high point for me. The super secret ones that you can only access after completing Hectic don't count. I'm talking about the original three secret levels in which you find the pentagram keys. Those were extremely well designed and really made it worth the trouble to find them.

jdagenet said:

Yeah I remember when the smashing sequence was finished I didn't want to jump down there because I thought it would smash down and instantly kill me.

I thought the same thing, lol.

I'm sorry but I did not like Doom 64. I actually consider it less canonical than TNT: Evilution, and I hate that too.

I like Plutonia, though.

Cat and Mouse was a source of terror and awe for me when I played through it the first few times.

I also liked the terraforming piston on MAP02. That was a really neat touch to that map.

Mechadon said:

I also liked the terraforming piston on MAP02. That was a really neat touch to that map.

Thats one of my favorite maps in DooM 64 for that specific reason.

I was just a smidgen disappointed by it because the contrast was a lot higher on the original, exposing all of its muscles and texture. It looks a bit dull on the 64 as result, but still cool. Has much better death animation.

The Terraformer in map 2, levels Dark Citadel and Breakdown were AMAZING levels, the awesome music and atmosphere.
Screw Doom 3 for your horror, Doom 64's got it in spades.

I think fighting all the monsters for the first time and trying to decipher which was which in their new reskinned forms was my favorite

I guess the most memorable moment was starting the game up for the first time and jumping into map 01. I recall rushing home from school one day knowing it came in the post that morning. Good times.

Some people don't care for the aesthetic of Doom64, but I immediately fell in love with the overhauled design. If I had to pick a favourite Doom game, it would be this.

My favourite moment was when I sucked so bad I couldn't get past map04 on the easiest skill level. Now, even watch me die is too easy.

My favorite moment was seeing the building in MAP03, wonderful scripting. Also, at the second time you would see the design created above as stairs and ledges, then crush it into the floor to make it like that. Dude this was outstanding.

Well, actually, I enjoyed the whole run a lot. Makes me feel I wanna do it again.

The ending music is epic.

The overhaul of the whole graphics design really won me over. I believe map 21(pitfalls?) was my favorite level. It certainly has the most creepy atmosphere coupled with the that nerve racking ambient track. I really liked the environmental traps placed throughout the game as well.

Hell's Vendetta said:

I really liked the environmental traps placed throughout the game as well.

Yeah my favorite trap would have to be the one thats at the beginning of Dark Entries.

My favorite moment, besides learning about the visual and audial overhaul, was firing the chaingun. HELL YEAH!

J-selva said:

My favorite moment, besides learning about the visual and audial overhaul, was firing the chaingun. HELL YEAH!

I agree - after the original Doom chaingun disappointed me so much (same firing sound as pistol, slower than the one in Wolfenstein, not even that damaging to bigger enemies), Doom 64's chaingun is a serious breath of fresh air. I love the way it dances around when you fire, the way the view kicks upwards, and the new blue muzzle flash that tells me that some seriously hot gasses are coming out of that thing.

WildWeasel said:

I agree - after the original Doom chaingun disappointed me so much (same firing sound as pistol, slower than the one in Wolfenstein, not even that damaging to bigger enemies), Doom 64's chaingun is a serious breath of fresh air. I love the way it dances around when you fire, the way the view kicks upwards, and the new blue muzzle flash that tells me that some seriously hot gasses are coming out of that thing.

Yeah the original DooM Chaingun was like a automatic pistol to me and kinda boring but the DooM 64 Chaingun gives me excitement when I fire it, definitely a BIG improvement with the it than the original.