Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Birds

So, when the world's magnetic poles reverse, what exactly are birds going to do to stay going the correct direction when migrating? (since they depend on the magnetic poles to navigate)

Sodaholic said:

So, when the world's magnetic poles reverse, what exactly are birds going to do to stay going the correct direction when migrating? (since they depend on the magnetic poles to navigate)

Modern birds have been around for sixty-million years and pole shifts are relatively annual. They adapt or die, i.e. natural selection by environmental change. Your also insinuating all birds have migratory patterns to escape climate change, many don't.

Technician said:

pole shifts are relatively annual

Annual? The last pole reversal is estimated at approximately 750'000 years ago.

A pole shift doesn't just happen in one shot, either. The process could take thousands of years, during which time the navigation systems of birds and other animals will be thrown off, and it may possibly affect humans as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/NASA_54559main_comparison1_strip.gif

Megalyth said:

Annual? The last pole reversal is estimated at approximately 750'000 years ago.

A pole shift doesn't just happen in one shot, either. The process could take thousands of years, during which time the navigation systems of birds and other animals will be thrown off, and it may possibly affect humans as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/NASA_54559main_comparison1_strip.gif

Annual was definable the wrong word to use, but poll shifts had happened while birds habited the earth.

Snakes said:

Technician was just referring to his own pole shifting whenever he sees a hot guy walk by.

I wish I'd get an erection annually, I'd have more time on my hands.

Sodaholic said:

While not every species of migratory bird has the ability to utilize magnetic fields, those that do also navigate using the sun and landmarks on the ground to find their way.

I think I've read that birds use geographic features to navigate, actually. I remember reading something about how homing pigeons actually found their way around using highways.

fraggle said:

A moot question, because there isn't going to be any magnetic pole reversal.

Perhaps you should be more careful about where you get your information.

Megalyth said:

A pole shift doesn't just happen in one shot, either. The process could take thousands of years...

Nobody said anything about 2012. Even that site you linked to doesn't say that there won't be a shift, just that it doesn't happen overnight. I can't speak for anyone else, but I got this particular info some time ago from an article on this exact subject, which said the same thing as the wikipedia article, which says basically the same thing as your linked article.

I personally doubt that anyone alive today will still be alive when noticeable effects begin to occur, assuming that a pole shift is even in its beginning stages now.

It may affect the navigational abilities of humans, making us all walk into walls and that... but the stupid enemies in crappy budget FPS games such as Hell Forces will suddenly be able to kick ass for the same reason.