Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Tom Mustaine's doom music

I enjoyed most of the midi tracks Tom Mustaine composed for some of the Doom megawads he contributed to. From Evilution, Icarus, Perdition's Gate, and Hell To Pay, a lot of them were fun and catchy for me to listen to. I want to download the midi tracks, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Since he remodeled his personal website, most of the content he had back then are not fully uploaded, including his music section. I asked him more than a year back if he will reupload them, and he said he will get around to it, but not much has been done yet, and as of early 2010, he hasn't made much updates to his website.

Yeah, I still recall snippets of the stuff from the Wraith Corp megaWADs from time to time. Shame he's gone silent; I found his articles on game work interesting and would have liked to read more. Also didn't know he had a previous version of the site.

Lüt said:

If he's the guy who did TNT's Map29 music, then I think I love him.

No, the only maps in TNT that have Tom's music are Map05, 10, 17, 18, 20, 22, and 28. I think Map29's music was composed by L.A. Sieben, and it's also on Map04 and 13.

T-Rex said:

No, the only maps in TNT that have Tom's music are Map05, 10, 17, 18, 20, 22, and 28. I think Map29's music was composed by L.A. Sieben, and it's also on Map04 and 13.

Are Jimmy and L.A. Sieben the same person, or are they brothers? I recall both names using Evil Genius as a nickname, leading me to believe the former.

kmxexii said:

Are Jimmy and L.A. Sieben the same person, or are they brothers? I recall both names using Evil Genius as a nickname, leading me to believe the former.

I think they're brothers, cause according to the textfile of the full version of Perdition's Gate, they used different names: ArchDaemon for Jimmy and Anavrin for L.A. and they did different things. Jimmy did maps and artwork, while L.A. was the composer, but I guess it was their decision to be under the name Evil Genius. I'm confused with Doom Wiki saying Tom Mustaine composed the midi track for Map01 and 09 in Evilution, because from my recollection before Tom revamped his website, according to his list of Doom midi tracks, he only composed five midi tracks for Evilution: three of which were used twice in the maps, while one was for the title screen. I thought it was L.A. who did the midi track for Map01 and 09, because it had the heavy metal sound that was also shared by the midi tracks used in Map02, 08, 15, 27, and 30.

I noticed that Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay have a lot of tracks that sound like remixes of Evilution and Icarus tracks. I'll have to play the wads to verify which ones sound like which.

Tom Mustaine and L.A. Sieben composed the music for Perdition's Gate and Hell To Pay, and yeah, a lot of the tracks they composed for the two wads have some similarities to Evilution and Icarus, though L.A. wasn't involved with Icarus. The track for Map20 of Perdition's Gate, also used in Map06 and 26 of Hell To Pay, is one example as the beginning sounded almost the same as the track used for Map02 and 15 of Evilution.

Lüt said:

If he's the guy who did TNT's Map29 music, then I think I love him.

I hate to use the word "epic" these days, but I can't think of any other word to describe that track.

eargosedown said:

Any relation to Dave?

He was the guy that did that awesome cover of MAP01, right?

T-Rex said:

I enjoyed most of the midi tracks Tom Mustaine composed for some of the Doom megawads he contributed to. From Evilution, Icarus, Perdition's Gate, and Hell To Pay, a lot of them were fun and catchy for me to listen to. I want to download the midi tracks, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Since he remodeled his personal website, most of the content he had back then are not fully uploaded, including his music section. I asked him more than a year back if he will reupload them, and he said he will get around to it, but not much has been done yet, and as of early 2010, he hasn't made much updates to his website.

Hey T-Rex - many apologies it took me this long to get back to you. I just put that page and all the content back up!

URL here: http://www.mustaine.com/about/my-music/

I didn't get to it for so long because I lost a hard drive that contained backups on my site and only recently was able to find another backup source to reconstruct. Thanks for continuing to push me on this, or I might have never done it!

kmxexii said:

Jimmy and L.A. are definitely two different people. Jimmy and I worked together on Final Doom, Hell2Pay and Perditions Gate. He built some of the best levels for DOOM IMHO. He works at Gearbox now and is one of their lead programmers.

L.A.'s (Leo) music is my favorite DOOM music of all time. He's a madman! He whipped up music for TNT in no time and I've harassed him many times to make more Midi stuff, but no luck. He is also a programmer at Gearbox now.

eargosedown said:

Any relation to Dave?

I actually met Dave a few years ago for the first time. He thought I was squatting his mustaine.com domain, but I wasn't :) He's a cool guy, only chatted with him a few times. We determined a few months later that we were definitely related, our family tree goes back about 4 generations to two brothers that landed in Flordia and split ways. So he's like my cousin 15 times removed or something. Either way, it was fun to meet up with the guy and share some stories.

In general, thanks for all the positive feedback everybody. I definitely miss the old DOOM days and still try to get some in zDaemon as often as I can.

Thanks!

Oh, hey! Speak of the devil...

Thanks for the info on L.A. and Jimmy! Also want to say thanks for Perdition's Gate, one of my favorite megaWADs, and Hell to Pay, though I know you were less involved with the latter. Your website was excellent and answered some questions I had on PERDGATE's development. Do you happen to know who of Jimmy and Mackey did what on the maps you don't have credit for, or know where you could get the info?

holy crap o_o

tmustaine said:

I actually met Dave a few years ago for the first time. He thought I was squatting his mustaine.com domain, but I wasn't :) He's a cool guy, only chatted with him a few times. We determined a few months later that we were definitely related, our family tree goes back about 4 generations to two brothers that landed in Flordia and split ways. So he's like my cousin 15 times removed or something. Either way, it was fun to meet up with the guy and share some stories.

That's pretty cool actually. I've been a huge MegaDeth fan for a while. Good to know that music runs in the veins!

Thanks for taking the time to drop by and say hi! =]

kmxexii said:

Oh, hey! Speak of the devil...

Thanks for the info on L.A. and Jimmy! Also want to say thanks for Perdition's Gate, one of my favorite megaWADs, and Hell to Pay, though I know you were less involved with the latter. Your website was excellent and answered some questions I had on PERDGATE's development. Do you happen to know who of Jimmy and Mackey did what on the maps you don't have credit for, or know where you could get the info?

Seriously great to hear. PG was a really fun project for us back in the day. I get so caught up in the business of what we are doing these days that I rarely get to go back and check out the world of DOOM. It's amazing to see what people are still doing with DOOM, makes me happy!

For Perdition's Gate, this link to an image on my site might help: http://www.mustaine.com/wp-content/gallery/perdgate/pg_status.jpg

When managing that project, I kept an excel sheet with the status of everything at all times. This sheet shows who built which maps. Here you can see that Jimmy built maps 10, 12, 14, 18, 19, 21, 23, 27 and 28. Avatar built maps 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 31 and 32. I personally believe that Jimmy made some of his best work in PG. He used to call map14 his "masterpiece" level.

Little know fact, both Jimmy and I rebuilt PG levels in Quake2. I need to release that level one of these days :) See if I can convince Jimmy to do the same.

Also: I was just checking out your review site (and responding to some comments, heh) Your site is fricking awesome. Please, please keep up the great work.

T-Rex said:

L.A. wasn't involved with Evilution.

Whoops, I meant to say that L.A. wasn't involved with Icarus. Sorry.

If I recall the midi composers credited for Evilution in Team TNT's website, they were Tom Mustaine, L.A. Sieben, Jonathan El-Bizri, and Josh Martel. Tom and Jonathan also contributed doing music tracks for Evilution, along with Tolwyn (David Shaw), Jeremy Doyle, Charles Li, and Brian Kidby (designed Map13 of Evilution).

Oh, hey, you made my day! Thanks for the info and praise!

Now if I can only track down mapping credits for Hell to Pay...

kmxexii said:

Oh, hey, you made my day! Thanks for the info and praise!

Now if I can only track down mapping credits for Hell to Pay...

Anytime. Yes, I was also taking a wild guess of which of the Casalis designed the maps of Plutonia, Perdition's Gate, and Hell To Pay. Well, from Tom's design credits in his site I knew a bit of Perdition's Gate map credits...

Map01: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map02: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map03: Tom Mustaine
Map04: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map05: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map06: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map07: Tom Mustaine
Map08: Tom Mustaine
Map09: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map11: Tom Mustaine
Map12: Tom/Bob Mustaine (first half, latter half by Jimmy Sieben)
Map13: Tom/Bob Mustaine (first half, latter half by Avatar)
Map15: Tom/Bob Mustaine (first half, latter half by Avatar)
Map16: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map17: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map18: Tom Mustaine
Map20: Tom/Bob Mustaine
Map29: Tom Mustaine
Map30: Tom Mustaine

I'm just taking a guess with the rest, judging by the design style of Jimmy's Evilution levels and all his and Avatar's design style in the latter half of the Mustaines' maps. Jim Elson was listed as a map designer too, though I don't know if he really did map anything.

Map10: Jimmy Sieben
Map14: Jimmy Sieben
Map19: Jimmy Sieben
Map21: Jimmy Sieben
Map22: Avatar
Map23: Jimmy Sieben
Map24: Avatar
Map25: Avatar
Map26: Jimmy Sieben
Map27: Jimmy Sieben
Map28: Jimmy Sieben
Map31: Avatar
Map32: Avatar

Maybe this can give hints on the design credits for Hell to Pay if you compare the maps to Perdition's Gate's. Just to note, Pavel Hodek, author of Galaxia, designed maps on Hell to Pay, and also. Avatar was the name Mackey McCandlish was better known as in Doom, from Memento Mori's design credits.

Yeah, I guess I was wrong for trusting a negative source on that little bit of information. Sorry about that. Anyway, awesome to see Tom around here.

T-Rex said:

Stuff

Actually I was responding to Tom, but it was your post that got his attention, so thanks! Tom actually linked the PERDGATE design doc as an image in his post so the Perdition's Gate credits are explicitly spelled out.

On the topic of Hell2pay. I'd have to go search my P100 hard disk archive to find out who did what on those levels.

I only came on near the end of Hell2pay and basically did some level cleanup, music, and helped with putting together the shipping wad. Along with other minor work.

Jim Elson would definitely know, but he's gone missing over the years - I have no idea how to contact him.

I do know that Pavel did a fair amount of the level work in Hell2Pay. And Avatar did a lot of the character and weapon art (from what I recall.)

I'll have to do a little data diving and see what I can dig up.

Seriously, glad to see folks enjoying these wads. We poured a lot of heart and soul into those back in the day!

tmustaine said:

Somehow over the years I managed to get some of my “music” published and put into various freeware and retail products. Honestly, most of the midi music listed below is quite painful to listen to – considering my absolute and complete lack of musical talent. A number of these songs were generated by abysmal emulations of other game songs that I enjoyed, created specifically to fit the Doom style of game music. Keeping those two facts in mind, coupled with my lack of reasonable tools to generate good midi work when these files were generated, leaves us with a large collection of musical train wrecks cleverly disguised as music.

Most of the people here would disagree. Many of you midis were great, and I still enjoy hearing them while playing Icarus, Evilution, etc. Some are even taken and used in WADs today.

Tom, do you know who composed each of the other tracks in Evilution and Icarus? I've been interested in learning which tracks were made by who.

Just popping in to say that Horizon is one of the best Doom tracks ever.

Also, the music from map15 of perdgate :)

tmustaine said:

On the topic of Hell2pay. I'd have to go search my P100 hard disk archive to find out who did what on those levels.

I only came on near the end of Hell2pay and basically did some level cleanup, music, and helped with putting together the shipping wad. Along with other minor work.

Jim Elson would definitely know, but he's gone missing over the years - I have no idea how to contact him.

I do know that Pavel did a fair amount of the level work in Hell2Pay. And Avatar did a lot of the character and weapon art (from what I recall.)

I'll have to do a little data diving and see what I can dig up.

Seriously, glad to see folks enjoying these wads. We poured a lot of heart and soul into those back in the day!

Yeah, Jim Elson's turned into something of a spectre. If you can find the specific credits, that would be excellent. I had no idea Hodek did any mapping but I should have guessed from his art credits on PERDGATE. Avatar's modeling stuff definitely fits considering his glut of 3D renders for Doom Must Fall.