Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

how do i strife

I have never played Strife before and I have no idea what the fuck is going on. My initial reaction was to see a dude before me and I stabbed him to death. Then I fell into some slime and couldn't get out and died.

The second time I didn't stab the guy but he still shot at me anyway. I made it out of a door and killed some peasant guys because they looked like fags. I accidentally punched a screen or something and the alarm went off. All these guards started teleporting in and I stabbed them to death too. I couldn't pick up their guns and I was pissed. Eventually they shot me to death.

The third time I found out you can talk to people. I talked to the guard and he said he wanted to kill me and started shooting me. I fell in the slime again and died.

What the fuck is this game?

You know you can jump in Strife, right?

You might try reading the backstory. Try talking to a guy named Rowan just outside of the area you start in. Also, killing people often sets off alarms. (unless you use a stealth weapon)

Yeah the problem is that you are so predisposed to a game like Doom that immersing yourself into a storyline that includes interacting with scenery and talking to people in an RPG like manner in a game designed with the Doom engine is pretty damn near impossible. I tried for the life of me and got so sick of situations where talking to a guy and responding with the incorrect selection of retorts will make the land infinitely swarmed with bad guys.

I normally love this kind of game. I'm actually wasting all my free time on Deus Ex Human Revolution instead of working on my project. But I just don't like Strife. It sounds like you won't like it either.

40oz said:

... sick of situations where talking to a guy and responding with the incorrect selection of retorts will make the land infinitely swarmed with bad guys.

The solution is to save before you do anything. Later on in the game, it's more akin to Doom's kill everything.

If I recall correctly, there's only one or two times when saying the wrong thing makes it impossible to proceed. I would suggest using a walkthrough, since it is true that the game doesn't really do a great job in the way of explaining stuff. The fun parts are exploring the maps, and being sneaky at times while turning into fucking rambo with your phosphorus grenades at others

chopkinsca said:

The solution is to save before you do anything. Later on in the game, it's more akin to Doom's kill everything.

Actually the correct solution was to play a game that was more fun.

I thought Strife was okay but not great.

The level design in my opinion was excellent, but the RPG elements ruined it.

40oz said:

Actually the correct solution was to play a game that was more fun.

yeah but if you've already paid for a game then you might as well play it, even if it is shit

Foodles said:

even if it is shit

But it's not shit. Heretic is a little mediocre, though, in my opinion. I just think people don't like Strife because it's different.

I don't really care for Strife. Not that it's a bad game, but it's sooooo boring. Slow, tedious, nothing really happens. I don't mind slow-paced games, but Strife was just painful.

Doomhuntress said:

I don't really care for Strife. Not that it's a bad game, but it's sooooo boring. Slow, tedious, nothing really happens. I don't mind slow-paced games, but Strife was just painful.

I agree, it took a bit patience, but it was still a kick ass game.

40oz said:

got so sick of situations where talking to a guy and responding with the incorrect selection of retorts will make the land infinitely swarmed with bad guys.

From what I recall the correct response is always the first one. The only exception I can think is when you get to pick paths and that only happens twice I think. Even then the first option works fine, but it might not lead to the best ending.

And the only death trap I can think of is if you complete Harris's side quest too early and thus cause the governor to turn you in.

I happen to like Strife, and wish there were more doom mods like it, as far as rpg elements and (still kinda threadbare) storyline + action.

I thought it was a lot of fun, and didn't find the transition from doom gameplay terribly jarring.

Strife is awesome, haters gonna hate, screw you guys, etc., etc..

I can absolutely see why anyone would dislike it though. Good thing for you there's one strife wad for every 5,000 Doom WADs or so.

This topic I came across didn't feature any capitol letters in its title. So I knew right away it wasn't serious enough. Strife is fun, but it needs more sugar.

esselfortium said:

Strife isn't oldschool enough. We have to go deeper.

Strife ripped off talking to people from fucking Halo. Strife fails.

Uhhhhh. Strife was made years before Halo. Scratch that one, buddy. (notice the Studio 3do? 3do went bankrupt 'round '02.)

Use3D said:

Strife ripped off talking to people from fucking Halo. Strife fails.

Heheheh. I like your humor if you are joking. But this statement is one of my favorite from 2011 if you are not.

TheSpazztikOne said:

Uhhhhh. Strife was made years before Halo. Scratch that one, buddy. (notice the Studio 3do? 3do went bankrupt 'round '02.)

It's called sarcasm. He wasn't being serious.

On the topic of Strife, fuck all you Strife haters. :P

oh, sorry fer that comment then. But since it is a fact, I'll leave it up for ref. lulz.

Anyway, got projects to work on, stuff to do....later.
I don't know what's up with the hate towards Strife tho.

esselfortium said:

In seriousness though, you strife by holding down the alt key

I honestly thought this thread was going to be about strafing.

Eh. I recognize its worth as a video game and I can see how people could enjoy it. It just seems obvious (unless he's messing with us) that Sigvatr should not continue suffering through it.