Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carny Goat

TNT Evilution.

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this question was asked before but here it goes. Does Doom Collectors Edition (2003) contain the unpatched version of TNT Evilution?

I keep finding in Wiki's and places saying there is a problem in map 31 about a yellow key not being there. I've had this collectors edition for a while, but I haven't got around to playing that iwad yet to confirm it.

Thanks!

Sorry of the title isn't descriptive enough, but I was meaning to have the question in a body of text rather than in a title. Although I'm not exactly sure why no patch data was included to address this on the Collectors edition of 2003. At least this will prevent something to stop my mad rolling when I get to that level. Thanks!

Megamur said:

Say what?

He's talking about the topic title.

Anyway, some people said that some versions of Final Doom came packaged with a version of TNT which had the yellow key on map 31.

I believe it's the id anthology version of Final Doom that has the fixed one. Unfortunately, id or whoever was handling the packaging of Final Doom (the original release and its various other re-releases like CE) didn't seem to pay much attention to things, since Team TNT knew about the bug immediately and released a fix that ended up being repeatedly ignored.

More info here.

I have copies of both versions of Doom Collector's Edition, and both have the original (unfixed) version.

Megamur said:

TeamTNT's site still has a patch WAD that fixes Map31 if you're interested. You can find it on this page.

I always hated how that was just a PWAD which replicated MAP31 + a one-object fix, rather than a RPT-type patch which resulted in a permanently fixed IWAD. Well, I guess it's better than nothing...

Maes said:

I always hated how that was just a PWAD which replicated MAP31 + a one-object fix, rather than a RPT-type patch which resulted in a permanently fixed IWAD. Well, I guess it's better than nothing...

Same as me. Actually map31 is possible to finish without the tnt31.wad. Such trick can be done by jumping directly to the left grey structure inside the pyramid, and then press a hidden switch below.

Maes said:

It's literally a one-byte fix to tnt.wad. Change byte 0x494844 from 0x17 to 0x7.

Well, I opened up XWE to locate the key and it's flags. To my astonishment, it's not fixed. It has all the flags of everything else but this is officially the unpatched version. Fantastic.

RjY said:
It's literally a one-byte fix to tnt.wad. Change byte 0x494844 from 0x17 to 0x7.

Heh, you could go even further and say that it's literally a one-bit fix :-)

Or maybe it wasn't a bug after all, and the key was really only meant to be used in multiplayer? After all, from a technical standpoint, the map is still completable. You could call it the "Pharaoh's Secret" or curse or whatever.

Maes said:

Or maybe it wasn't a bug after all, and the key was really only meant to be used in multiplayer? After all, from a technical standpoint, the map is still completable. You could call it the "Pharaoh's Secret" or curse or whatever.

That would be more plausible if TeamTNT themselves didn't release a patch WAD to fix it.

Megamur said:

That would be more plausible if TeamTNT themselves didn't release a patch WAD to fix it.

As far as patches went, this was quite half-assed as in: "Yeah yeah stop crying baby, here's a PWAD with MAP31 and ONE item changed. Like you couldn't do it yourself. Geez."

IMOH, they released it only after enough butthurt ensued ;-)