Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Bring back Q3A!

I play a fair amount of QuakeLive, which is essentially a gibless Quake 3 Arena, and it's hard to beat the adrenaline rush. It would be so great if id brought Q3A back using their fancy new engine, but while retaining the brutality and minimalism of the original. I don't see it happening, but it's easily the most fun I've had in a multiplayer FPS setting, even moreso than Skulltag. So yeah, just wanted to express my little pipe dream.

GoatLord said:

which is essentially a gibless Quake 3 Arena

I really loved the original Q3A (not Team Arena so much), but this little alteration made me do a major double-take. The Quake series is defined by raw, unbridled violence with generous helpings of blood and guts. To have a Quake game in which players vanish in a lame-ass burst of sparks is just embarrassing.</rant>

I'm with you OP, is Quake 3 the ultimate in the deathmatch experience? I think so!

Didn't they release it on xbox live as an arcade game? I find that a bit insulting!

I remember having this idea that Quake 4 was gonna be as you described, Quake 3 with better graphics, but alas it was a pile of muff.

Trilinear said:

To have a Quake game in which players vanish in a lame-ass burst of sparks is just embarrassing.</rant>

They're targeting a different market demographic, and it's probably just a matter of time before they re-skin the players. Ponymatch anyone? ;-)

I initially was turned off by the lack of gore in QL, and I'm a gore hound. But it's so fun and such a rush that I have just as much fun. It's proof that the game's design and controls are really polished. I haven't experienced anything that comes close.

GreyGhost said:

They're targeting a different market demographic, and it's probably just a matter of time before they re-skin the players. Ponymatch anyone? ;-)

Chex Quest Arena!

hex11 said:

Chex Quest Arena!

SOMEBODY MAKE THIS RIGHT NOW.

*ahem*

Meh, I don't mind the sparks. It does make the "Instagib" game-mode have a rather unfitting title, though. ;)

Mr. T said:

Just play QL. If you "need" gore then you are a noob or gay.

While the gore doesn't affect the core playability of Q3A, it's a neat little level of polish that adds a certain sense of satisfaction to fragging someone. It was originally designed as a mature-rated game and to take out the mature content (no rule 34 jokes, plz) is to butcher part of the appeal of a game like Quake.

Again, I'm not saying gratuitous splattering of gibs is the be all and end all of Q3A but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it in Quake Live.

Xaser said:

Meh, I don't mind the sparks. It does make the "Instagib" game-mode have a rather unfitting title, though. ;)

How about...instaspark?

not playing QL because of the lack of gibs is seriously missing the point.

I remember back in '99, when the two big shooters were Q3A and Unreal Tournament. Both were a lot of fun, but I always spent more time on Q3A. It just had a more solid balance of weapons, items and map designs. Sure, UT had weapons with secondary functions, but Q3A was just so fucking brutal. Not just because of the gore, but the raw simplicity of it all.

dew said:

not playing QL because of the lack of gibs is seriously missing the point.

Not playing QL because of its lack of gibs is seriously missing the point of playing Quake.

The sparks are odd, sure, but it's just a graphical thing. Gameplay is what matters most in Q3/QL. Heck, it's generally better to turn down/off certain graphical features that can impede your accuracy (like shadows and view bobbing). Visuals ain't no thang in Quake.

GreyGhost said:

Well, there are already pony models for TF2...

phobosdeimos1 said:

Didn't they release it on xbox live as an arcade game? I find that a bit insulting!

Would you rather they release it as a $60 disc release? Serious Sam's "HD" remakes were also full-size games sold as "arcade" titles. "Arcade title" isn't really an insult to a game as you're implying with these sentences but instead a way for XBLA users to get cheaper, smaller titles in digital distribution with a guaranteed demo version.

Megamur said:

Playing Q3 with a controller must be...really hard.

Not if you're up against other players who are also using controllers.

Heh. I remember when Q3A was ported (quite splendidly) to the Sega Dreamcast, and people had the option of using the controller or a keyboard & mouse combo. Needless to say, whoever was using a controller was pwned. There was no system in place to detect what peripherals people were using or dedicated servers for people with controllers.

For once, I agree with everything Mr.T says. :p

I play QL fervently. It's (Q3 CPMA and QL) IMO the best multiplayer game ever created. The game is the most skillful game I've ever played and as a result the skill ceiling is virtually nonexistant. You can always become better at it.

For those of you who are like me and has wished for a SC2 style ladder system. There is one in the making. The website is called QLranks.com and it is an elo rating system for duels. Currently it's a rudimentary ladder. But they are still working away at it. Would be nice to see some different systems like national ladders etc.

If you look close, there are also a greasemonkey script you can install that integrates the ELO ratings with quakelive.com so you can see the ELO of those players in games you may want to join etc.

My only gripe with Quake Live is that I can't just host a LAN game and play with my brother like I can with Q3A. Other than that, there's no reason for me to go back to Q3A.

I only Q3A as something to do for a LAN party, like in a school library. Otherwise QL. Quake has always been about gameplay, with gore coming in second. Now however, I wouldn't mind at least a little blood, something similar to Brink.

Does blood and gibs matter in Q3A? Yes, yes it does. In fact, I quit playing QL because of that very reason, and I was playing it since it was in early beta. It just wasn't the same.

Try playing Doom without blood.

What's the rationale anyway, to protect the children? I cut my finger when I was three and saw some blood, I turned out ok. Mostly.

Sigvatr said:

Does blood and gibs matter in Q3A? Yes, yes it does. In fact, I quit playing QL because of that very reason, and I was playing it since it was in early beta. It just wasn't the same.

Try playing Doom without blood.

uh, since we're talking about q3a and ql, i assume you mean the deathmatch aspect of doom, not all the funky monster blood and guts. well, i don't care at all about some red pixels on the corpses of players i kill. i care about seeing myself higher than them in the score tally! i only need the blood sprays as a visual cue of hitting the enemy and for that the THUNK sound in ql is more than adequate.

if you still linger on such unimportant, purely visual effects, you probably don't think of the game as a competition but more like relaxation where you hoot at the gibs and shout out loud how good you are after every frag. i'd wager you played quake at full details as well. :)