Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Mr. T said:

Who put Doomguy in jail and left the door open? Dohhh!

The same guy that forgot to pay the electric bill

Mr. T said:

Who put Doomguy in jail and left the door open? Dohhh!

Gosh! I had to crank up my desktop gamma level to 2.4 to see at least anything in that image.

Shady corners may be scary. But darkness everywhere is just hardly playable.

F$%* those overbright flatscreens out there; as a graphic editor, I need a linearly calibrated monitor, and at gamma 1.0, I only see black on black, except for the status bar.

It looked fine on my laptop and pro work monitor at whatever Wind0ze' default gamma is but is black on my iphone. Weird

walter confalonieri said:

since nobody cares about the earth base thread i'll post it here. Is map09...

I thought it looked interesting, I just don't always know what to say. I guess it just gets a little redundant going to every megawad topic and simply posting, "Lookin' good, keep up the good work!"

zap610 said:

An idea I had for some time and finally decided to start it.

When a idea come out, it shouldn't be very good looking quickly as in your pic :P.

Update:

hervoheebo said:

Yeah, I've noticed that images like clouds come off better if you take a real photograph, let the program take care of converting the colors and do the fine-tuning by hand. Doing everything by hand risks making it look too artificial. I'm experimenting with stuff like this all the time, and from the amount of prototypes I have I'm glad I don't have to ask your opinions that often.

Well, you can experiment a little more now ... just a "proof of concept" in PHP, therefore

*** WARNING *** SLOW AS HELL ***

Maybe not very efficient, but still effective: Image dithering with palette matching in PHP

I found that Shiau-Fan 1 and Atkinson may result in quite few stray pixels, and if there are too many still, reduce the error distribution below 100%.
__

P.S.: Bug fixed in Shiau-Fan 1 (calculated only half of the error distribution).
__

P.P.S.: Please test only carefully with small images to avoid 500s, the server is quite limited.
__

Please note: Shaiu-Fan is covered by a US patent, but according to GML Scripts forum, "The patent is due to expire October, 2011." ... shall I better disable their implementation for another month?

dutch devil said:

More classic stuff. This is based on Doom 2 map03 The Gantlet. I'll probably redo some sections as they are too similar to the original.

Not (bl)actually. As far as I'm concerned, Gantlet never used the blue torches, so, even if layout seems to be C&P, this feature would just distract players' attention. Just to be tricky!

walter confalonieri said:

a shot of a e1-style speedmap using 10 textures for skulltag: [image]

I like that.

Cell said:

Not (bl)actually. As far as I'm concerned, Gantlet never used the blue torches, so, even if layout seems to be C&P, this feature would just distract players' attention. Just to be tricky!

Yes because whenever you make a map inspired by another you have copy every little detail. Not allowed to think out the box and try something different!

Doomsfall said:

I like that.

Thanks.
Anyway, here we have a real pearl from the mist of past: some days ago me and my mom are cleaning my home basements, and in the cleanings some stuff of when i was very little (also, i found some things of when i was born...) and in these memory travelling i found this kind of shit, dated 1996:

(apologize the crappy quality, but it was made using my smartphone camera during the various cleanings...)

Got something of familiar? Well, that's are some doom maps layouts! I don't remember what kind of monsters are the cf's one (probably the chaingunners), however this was some layout of some megawad concept called "Demoniaca's"... watching it now, looks some kind of mockery project LOL... but some layout are interesting, like the one in the first page, that huge MAP07 remake in the third shot and the one in 4th photo looks nice IMO... probably, i'll see to made something on these using this stuff... enlarging and detailing it, obviously...

looks great! especially the first and last pages. I too find drawing layouts on paper amplifies my mapping speed like 100x faster than it would if I sit in front of Doombuilder with a blank screen.

Yessir.

The map is called Power Plant and draws heavily from both TNT MAP03 and Doom 2 MAP04, except I added a prevailent lightswitch mechanic (pretty much the entire map is brightness 96 but most of the map has ample light sources once you locate the switch in each area).

And before you ask, I'm experimenting heavily with this level's design.

I think the ceiling could do with a little more attention, but the general look of the whole shot is pretty good.

If it's anything like the old Threshold of Pain, it's going for a PlayStation DOOM look, which wasn't terribly detailed (and had lots of colored lighting).

-_DLD_- said:

Buncha shots from my latest map:

Hopefully the lighting will be tightened up before the final product. It's very "binary," seemingly either extremely bright or almost pitch-black. Doesn't look very natural.

That's the map's theme. The super bright lights you see are the result of the player finding a light switch, otherwise the map is very dark.

-_DLD_- said:

That's the map's theme. The super bright lights you see are the result of the player finding a light switch, otherwise the map is very dark.

That's a cool idea that I played with in my first map (out of two whole maps I've ever designed...) called "Fear of the Dark" that involved using light switches to power on lights to better illuminate areas or lights turning off with trigger linedefs, as well as a lot of flickering light fixtures to add to the creepy mood.

Don't know if you ever played Scythe MAP10 (Power Outage) - that's where I borrowed some of my ideas from. Might be worth checking out and Scythe is fun anyway.