Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lishy

Converting maps to OBJ.

Hey guys. I want to port my maps made in Doom over to my Ocarina of Time hack using SharpOcarina. However, doing so requires the .obj of maps, and as you know, Doom uses a weird formatting for maps as opposed to conventional 3d models...

Is there any way to export the maps as .obj from Doom though? I know it's possible because I've seen it done here, however I have yet to hear how it was converted to .obj

Would anyone here be able to help me on this matter?

Is there any way to do this without d3edit? It seems like an awful large amount of trouble to convert it to .map (How exactly?) and then finally to a .obj using d3edit (If I understand this correctly?)

I wouldn't know exactly I was just pointing out some references to your question I found, I would assume doing what your trying to do is going to be a lot of work.

Lishy said:

Doom uses a weird formatting for maps as opposed to conventional 3d models...

Doom maps don't have anything 3D to begin with, they are more similar to 2D AutoCAD drawings.

The "3D" information comes from the height attributes of floors and ceilings, and you need some specialized tool to "expand" them to anything resembling a 3D object of any kind.

Also, said tool must be aware of how Doom makes stuff like windows, doors, skies, special sector effects etc. unless you are prepared to do a lot of manual corrections afterwards. No easy shortcuts here, sorry.

I agree with Maes here, your probably better off rebuilding the maps from scratch in the desired format it's like trying to mate an elephant with a giraffe.