Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Any way to make only the Pinky and Spectre fast monsters?

Just wondering, as I don't like having shotgun guys blasting me nonstop when all I want are fast bull demons.

I imagine this would have to be done with a WAD of sorts, I'm not sure. The goal is just making both the bull demons behave in a fast state regardless if -fast is on or not.

Thanks for the help!

phobosdeimos1 said:

You could edit the decorate files in the Zdoom pk3?

How would I go about the process of doing that? And wouldn't it permanently effect how my Z-DooM runs each time it's loaded, so I can't select the feature when I wish?

Just asking, I know nothing about WAD creating or Doom editing in general, but I do know it takes a bit of time to delve into, something I simply don't have time for at the moment.

Yeah it would, of course you could run it as a WAD that replaces the Pinky and Spectre with fast versions, then run that WAD alongside other maps, but i'm not sure what would happen if that other WAD also altered pinkys and spectres.

I'm not very good at Decorate atall or the mechanics of Zdoom but I'm pretty sure it just requires having a WAD containing a small text lump called "DECORATE" that would contain something like this:

"

Actor fastpinky : Demon replaces Demon
{
speed xx
}

Actor fastspectre : Spectre replaces Spectre
{
speed xx
}

"

I don't know how fast you want them to go

EDIT: Oh and don't think that'll change their attack frequency, don't worry someone will come along and give you more help

Ah, thanks! I just want the bull demons as fast as they are with the fast parameter setting (nightmare speed), I'll see if this works as a text document.

Thank you!

Platinum Shell said:

Ah, thanks! I just want the bull demons as fast as they are with the fast parameter setting (nightmare speed), I'll see if this works as a text document.

Thank you!

I don't know how fast that is exactly but i'm sure you can find out somehow, it'll be buried somewhere i'm assuming,

also for a safe bet I'd put the text document within an empty WAD and call the lump DECORATE

I'm waiting to be penalized here as some expert programmer's gonna tell me there's major flaws in my advice,

tbh whenever I want to know something about Zdoom I look in the Zdoom Wiki or in the Pk3 file and even then I often resort to asking for help so I wouldn't listen to me :P

Mithran Denizen said:

Try this.

Instead of changing the actors' speed properties, I halved the durations of their movement and attack frames, making them behave as they do with -fast or in Nightmare! mode.

Very nice! Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to add some range to the bull demon's bite attacks.

Mithran Denizen said:

Try this.

Instead of changing the actors' speed properties, I halved the durations of their movement and attack frames, making them behave as they do with -fast or in Nightmare! mode.

Ah that makes sense, good thinking!