Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

- I used to play WADs in the easiest difficulty for several years because I wanted to stare at the architecture and details without much hassle. Hopefully I stopped this habit because I don't really suck that much in Doom. I still save every freaking second though :)
- I also do a lot of IDBEHOLDA when I can't find all secrets and I want to find them all but can't spare the time searching.
- I have rated crappy WADs too high.
- I haven't played Doom multiplayer back in the modem days ever.
- My WAD map releases have deteriorated through time (not that they every were above average anyways), having releasing joke WADs lately, especially a stupid lame thing that is coming :P

I can't stand Hell Revealed, Plutonia, or AV.

Never played all the way through Doom II properly or beat level 30 legitimately.

I hate that both secret levels in Doom II are wolfenstein themed.

I've played No Rest For The Living, but not on xbox.

I very rarely ever play a wad that only contains a single map.

Have never completed a full 32 level megawad.

Lately, I've been playing Doom: The Roguelike (DoomRL) more than Doom.

I think I play the original Quake more than I play Doom.

Have recently grown to enjoy playing Doom on pc with a gamepad more than mouse+keyboard.

I desperately want to make a mod for playing the Master levels in Random order in-game, but lack the proper motivation to really learn how.

I used to love Doomsday, but can't stand it now for some reason.

Really wish I could mod scoredoom to include permadeath and in-game high score board and achievements, but am too lazy to learn how.

My ex girlfriend and I used to play Doom using Legacy split screen and the loser would "reward" the winner.

SeanWJF said:

-I think all of Doom and Doom 2's bosses are way too easy, even on UV.
(also 100th post)

Don't we all?

Imagine you're a bomb-wearing madman, so insane that you throw the detonator at people rather than just pressing it. When the detonator finally hits something, be it a person or a wall, the bomb, still strapped to your chest, goes off ; although only in a neat 90° angle in front of you, as it was carefully crafted by a recluse monk who lives in a barrel, and you don't actually take any damage from the bomb because you're secretly Superman.

Try to be close to monster(s) head-on when tracers come out, which is roughly a second upon big ball hitting obstacle.

I once created a modified version of Evilution, to make the difficulty more comparable to Plutonia.
I once skipped a lecture at uni to fix inexplicable vanilla bugs (you know the sort) in one of my earliest maps.
I couldn't finish Strain properly (ie. I turned cheats on) because I found it to be gut-wrenchingly awful. (this was in 2003 btw)
MM2 didn't fare much better before it. (ditto with the year)
When I finish a map I usually go back and find all the unfound secrets with "give allmap" (if I don't already have one) or IDDT if that fails. (I have to see everything in a map)
I use freelook/jump/crouch like it's second nature in every map. (except to shortcut bits I haven't done yet)
I love ZDoom and GZDoom wads, especially those with new gameplay in some form.
I grew tired of IWAD tribute maps years ago. (with some exceptions ofc)
I think xblamaps is the most overrated wad ever.

eargosedown said:

I still don't understand how to use the BFG correctly :[

When the BFG ball impacts against something, an invisible, cone-shaped damage wave emits from the DOOMGuy's body, in the direction the BFG ball was fired in (e.g., if you fire the ball to the west, then turn 180 degrees to face east, the damage wave will still come out of your back, to the west).

I also couldn't really get into STRAIN, for whatever reason.

Phml said:

Imagine you're a bomb-wearing madman, so insane that you throw the detonator at people rather than just pressing it. When the detonator finally hits something, be it a person or a wall, the bomb, still strapped to your chest, goes off ; although only in a neat 90° angle in front of you, as it was carefully crafted by a recluse monk who lives in a barrel, and you don't actually take any damage from the bomb because you're secretly Superman.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Do you think it may be possible to make a BFG graphic replacement creating a weapon that better visually demonstrates the characteristics of the weapon?

40oz said:

That's an interesting way to look at it. Do you think it may be possible to make a BFG graphic replacement creating a weapon that better visually demonstrates the characteristics of the weapon?

Of course!Make the tracers visible and look like rail shots (except they won't penetrate through monsters).

Wow, you're all a bunch of cheaters! I've beaten Ultimate Doom on UV all the way through a bunch of times. And Doom 2 on UV way too many times to count. Never speed running though; it always takes several hours. The only thing that pisses me off about Map30 is the damn Revenant on the ledge, beating the Icon of Sin isn't really that hard unless you screw around and let too many monsters spawn.

Also, definitely agree that

SeanWJF said:

All megawads are crap and boring.

I played Evilution, Plutonia and several others all the way through hoping for something somewhat spectacular and am always let down.

My real confession though: The look and sounds from the Revenant still freak me out. Even when I know exactly where there are.

And every time I have to kill more than two lost souls in a row I want to scratch my eyes out. Whoever invented the Pain Elemental is a total asshole.

I'm surprised so many of you skip through Doom 2. There are some really great levels in there. Especially all the ones Romero made.

I've played all the way through Marathon: Durandal. But I've never properly beat DOOM.
Or DOOM II.
Or the Master Levels for DOOM II.
Or No Rest for the Living.
Or the Plutonia Experiment.
Or TNT Evilution.
Or DOOM 3.
Or DOOM 3: Ressurection of Evil.
And the only custom WADs I've ever played were from this old D!Zone disc I had in my basement.
I never beat any of those, either.
In fact, the only reason I registered to this forum is because I've started making my own WADs.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

He might finish making them, but I bet Rafeinator will never finish playing through his own maps. :D

I was playing a copy of Doom that I didn't pay for before buying Doom Collector's Edition and buying it again on Steam.

- Downtown is probably my favorite map out of Doom II (after Refueling Base). It's not particularly realistic or attractive but I like the way it's set up where you have to work through each of the buildings in order to locate the keys and powerups. Doom's tried-and-true formula of "shoot things, grab key, open door" obviously works but I like Downtown's spin on it.

- I've only ever beaten the Icon of Sin once without cheating (the first time I ever finished Doom II). It's just way too irritating to do it properly since my timing sucks and getting shot at by a bunch of monsters simultaneously doesn't make it any easier.

- I hate Cyberdemons. If they weren't so powerful that even a near-miss causes a shitpile of splash damage with full health/armor, I'd be a lot more inclined to actually fight them without cheating or finding a safe area where I can shoot at them without being hit in return. I'm not that terrible* at Doom otherwise - I just hate that razor-thin margin of error when dealing with Cyberdemons.

*That's what she said!

Chex Warrior said:

For years I had no idea the Berserk lasted beyond the red screen... could have saved me a lot of trouble.

I thought so too, mainly because I played Doom 3 first where the berserk IS limited.

chaingun the revanant on the ledge, run up hit the switch for the lift to raise. then bfg monsters away while waiting for it to come down. hit the IOS on the way up. jump off and get the biosuit. repeat last three steps twice. done. Come on guys, you can do it!

M3g4Sph3r3 said:

chaingun the revanant on the ledge, run up hit the switch for the lift to raise. then bfg monsters away while waiting for it to come down. hit the IOS on the way up. jump off and get the biosuit. repeat last three steps twice. done. Come on guys, you can do it!

"How do you shoot the devil in the back head? What if you miss?"

I don't know what complevel means. Although my suspicion is that it allows you to mimic various versions of Doom vanilla for playback compatibility in various ports (that would be awesome if that's what it is).