Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I haven't been following lately because I'm busy with other projects like the Boom computer, and lots of IRL projects.

I'm just dropping by to say a few things.

I won't be able to make a Crest of Simplicity, Part 1, so when the wad will be built, you can just leave out Part 2.

I made MAP01 just as a joke, not to be actually included. I don't even know if it's allowed as I copied the map architecture unaltered, and only altered the things. If you decide to include it after all, I won't mind it getting spot 31 or 32 as those are the spots most megawads place their joke wads in. If those are already claimed then I don't mind any other spot or not being included at all.

Might as well release about half the maps now instead of wait way the heck for december.
Edit: is the forum slow for other people or have I been placed into 'forum hell' by a moderator?

I wasn't planning on including the Doom 2 map slaughters as it's almost Warez. Also, I just want to see a few others check in and let me know where their maps stand before I put out a SF2k11 Part 1 wad or something.

I am still working on my megamap, and I think Deathfactoryx was working on something, ArmouredBlood might finish something, and Phml was working on "Mouse" to follow "Cat". There might be more I'm forgetting, but these are ones to be on the lookout for. AB mentioned he might not get his done though. So, that's at least 3 more to wait for.

I think we could wait aswell. But on the other hand I don't want this to be another one of those projects who takes years to be finished. Maybe a release in 2-4 weeks?

I also demand that phml makes another map :]

Mouse was planned way before Cat, and is already done since the end of July... On paper. Too much procrastination when it comes to grabbing textures and opening up DB2. Ideally, there should be someone to prod me with a stick until I get to work rather than browse the Internet and make bad posts on forum boards, but kind words can also work, so, thanks guys. Will try to do something this weekend.

FDA for Good Grief. Two deaths, completes on third try.

This one seems too easy. The only real threats are the archviles, and they're immobile. Cyberdemons infight with the hell knight horde, chaingunners can't do enough damage with the amount of medikits and health vials available. Living through the first minute is a near guarantee you've won, what remains is a repetitive clean up.

On the positive side, it looks pretty in DB2, like a persian carpet. :)

It's not bad, but you've done frontloaded box maps already, and you've done them better, so this one pales in comparison.

My suggestion: remove the BFG, make this a pure RL map, or eventually plasma + RL, and see what happens.

Original version: I got wasted. About 20-30 attempts of trying different things, never managed to live even a minute. The amount of archviles on the sides more or less constrict the play area in a 1024 square on the center, which is a drastic change from the newest version posted earlier, and between the lack of medikits and the added pressure of revenant missiles, I just couldn't get anywhere.

If you felt the version with cyberdemons was fine, maybe adding them back in would be good. It's a little overwhelming as it is ; IMHO, that is.

As for the rocket version, I agree the start is rough, and possibly too linear for a map like this as the only way seems to go straight for the corners. It's also frustrating to find myself in "no win" situations - seeing the moving wall of HKs closing on me, knowing I was too close to use rockets and about to get crushed. Less HKs (either 6 instead of 8 per cell, or perhaps 4 instead of 8 in the 9 center cells while leaving the ones on the sides intact?) or adding a plasma gun might help. Yet another option could be to include a BFG but with very limited ammo.

DoomHero85 said:

and eternal_slumber needs to make another too.

I'll definitely make another map if the deadline is still Dec 31, but I won't start it until early November. Work and music will have slowed down, and my submission for CC4 will be done. Perfect time for SLAUGHTER.

Keep it up, guys!

Ok.. this question is very embarrasing but here it goes!

When you use the action "raise to next highest floor (change texture). How is the new texture determined? :/ I could have made a search or experimented myself, but the people in this project are so friendly so I thought I could save some time searching. :)

Grain of Salt said:

older version

For fun, I did a 'remix' of your 'map7 older version' without your permission, ie. I stole it and put graffiti on it, which is probably a form of terrorism:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30347047/map7-gggmix.wad

Pretty sure its beatable but didn't fully try. 200% larger scale, center is all sky so its visually obvious where the center is when you're running around, 667 arachnotron hacked into a door open instead with an imp who is hopefully crushed, and platform enemies lower by various triggers to make max kills less tedious.

Its your map of course so you don't have to use my version, but you can if you want with/without edits or whatever. After playing it a lot more it seems quite hard but fun. Still havn't maxed in 1 run, but got a little past the cyber door part:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30349072/map7gggmix-uvmaxFail-cl9-ggg.lmp

'Piling up' bfg shots while running toward viles helps. I forgot to make the sky parts bright and some of the stuff you mentioned might work better, not sure. Also maybe some more visual way to know where in the grid you are, like maybe the 5x5 grid could step upward 16 or 24 toward center square, or vile ring could be all sky and bright like center too, etc. I accidently figured out that was a switch when a normal doom2 switch didn't work (the quake switches apparently override the doom2 ones).

FDA for videopung. A few deaths at the beginning while I get a handle on the surroundings, then completes in about 24 minutes playing super cautiously and abusing infighting.

I liked it, overall. The thing that jumped out at me is that with the high heights and non-damaging blood, it's much easier to hide down there rather than actually fight, up until the final battle.

No strong opinion on that battle, I would have to actually play it rather than abuse infighting to comment. Doing that made me think of one thing though, I would find it very cool if all the architecture in the center start room, save for the four circle-shaped towers, lowered at this point and changed texture, leaving just a huge blood pool to fight the horde in (with the aforementioned towers as cover). As for access to the previous areas on south, north and east, maybe some lifts could raise at the same time.

I could see it being much more interesting played aggressively. I hate platforming parts with a fiery passion though, as small as the one on this map might be. Another nitpick: stacked ammo boxes in tight ammo situations. If I knew these rocket boxes near the BFG were multiples, I wouldn't have wasted BFG ammo and kept infighting for so long. I would rather have them scattered if only by a few pixels so it's obvious that there is quite a lot of rockets in there. :)

Edit: here's a failed attempt at playing faster/legit. I still had to pull back on the final fight, perhaps because I didn't stop and clear the cacodemons from the previous part. Another problem I see with the lifts in the final fight is that as stuff is going to gather, you're almost encouraged to just stay on top and let them infight if you back up at all, as you're very likely to either get mobbed by HKs or eat hot cybie rockets if you fall down on the other side and have to ride the lifts ; so I'll reiterate my idea-suggestion to just have everything turn into a blood pool near the end. :)

phml: thanks for the fda and the comments. You have a very good point when you say that the platforms should lower to prevent abusing infighting to much.

I didn't want damaging floors cause I wanted the final battle to be behind that big bloodfall and rad suits are so damn annoying that I wanted to spare my fellow players from that green shimmer from hell. I also wanted this to be a good map for uv-max, that's why I wanted to give the player alot of different ways to deal with the enemies in the first part of the map. IMO a good uv-max map shouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes to finish, after that it's just tiresome, with some exceptions as cat and some sunder maps.

updated version: http://www.mediafire.com/?k5mwrm2gcl06qw2

I forgot to spread the RL ammo on the syberdemon platform. Will do that later. But now the circle is lowered when you gain access to the last arena.

It's great as it is, but I was thinking everything lowering, including the middle wooden stuff. At the very least you'd want to lower sector 6 - if the cyberdemon isn't killed yet, it gets stuck, and if the BFG isn't picked up, the player is out of luck (which happened to me).

-

Also: Mouse. Little to see and even less to play, mostly posting this to show something at all. Baby steps.

phml: Ok. I will look into that and post a newer version tomorrow. Thanks for helping me as always :)

mouse looks really good. Those brown quake textures are really good looking IMO. They always remind me of the furnace (sunder), wich is a really good thing. Just send it over when you have more and I'll FDA it. Right now, there's not enough map to bother doing an FDA. Keep it up