Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Wow this is amazing...(GTA 4)

I was randomly looking at videos on Youtube when I stumbled onto something amazing. You guys might have already seen shit like this before but I figured I'd share anyway.

The realism was just so incredible I was shocked really. It looks so much better than Vanilla GTA4. Who ever made these mods really outdid themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjDy8nBjtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KwGGa1P9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIRxYaxhyu8

The game looks fucking amazing...

Yeah a friend introduced me to that mod a while back. It's really stunning.

I don't dare to imagine what kind of monster rig is needed to get a playable framerate with that mod, though, considering that vanilla GTA4 is poorly optimised for PC drivers in the first place and runs like crap on systems which are more than capable of running it just fine on paper.

EDIT: Duh, specs are in the descriptions in two of those vids. Even so, the guy with the GTX460 looks to be getting some choppy framerate.

Isn't it amazing how really high resolution textures look far less realistic than ones that are chosen by people who are able to look at the picture as a coherent whole and not just dribble over big numbers?
Isn't also amazing how jarringly shit games look when one or two really high resolution cars is slapped into them but the rest of the cars look normal and consistent with each other?
Wake me up when they make mega-res textures to replace everything (that also blur at a distance consistently) and mega-poly cars to replace every vehicle (even the boring taxis and vans that nobody wants to make because they're too busy getting carbon louvres on the back of a Lambo just right)

hardcore_gamer said:

Meh.

deathbringer said:

High res textures look less realistic

ITT: negativity for negativity's sake. And/or poor eyesight.

The thing that always stuck out for me in GTA IV was that games still haven't figured out how to do HDR. You shouldn't see a red glow on the street from a car's tail lights. That's just wrong.

deathbringer said:

Isn't it amazing how really high resolution textures look far less realistic than ones that are chosen by people who are able to look at the picture as a coherent whole and not just dribble over big numbers?
Isn't also amazing how jarringly shit games look when one or two really high resolution cars is slapped into them but the rest of the cars look normal and consistent with each other?
Wake me up when they make mega-res textures to replace everything (that also blur at a distance consistently) and mega-poly cars to replace every vehicle (even the boring taxis and vans that nobody wants to make because they're too busy getting carbon louvres on the back of a Lambo just right)

I agree with you so much at this point in time that I feel myself getting the gay disease.

A lot of "realistic" mods just crank the contrast on everything to max (you can see it a lot in the third video, the reflections on that Lamborgini look FAKE FAKE FAKE). Which, FWIW is the wrong direction to be going in. Things should be looking "softer" to be more realistic.

Aliotroph? said:

The thing that always stuck out for me in GTA IV was that games still haven't figured out how to do HDR. You shouldn't see a red glow on the street from a car's tail lights. That's just wrong.

Huh? What's wrong about it? DISCLAIMER: I haven't taken a low exposure pic of a car's taillights while it has its brakes on to make sure myself.

Say what you will about the game itself, but graphically they did every single thing right.

ITT: Not seeing jarring, disbeleif unsuspending contrasts.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading a game's graphics as long as it's consistent. Remember the Half Life HD pack? That's how you do it properly! (Though they were getting paid to do it, mind you)

Sigvatr said:

I hope they hold out on GTA V for at least a few more years because GTA 4 is still an excellent game.

What?? Why?

These comments saying that it looks realistic are ridiculous. It's only realistic to those who are unused to seeing reality, as in people who don't get out much. I will say that it does improve the graphics by quite a bit, though.

Danarchy said:

These comments saying that it looks realistic are ridiculous. It's only realistic to those who are unused to seeing reality, as in people who don't get out much.

I want to go on record saying that I think it's:-

DoomUK said:

really stunning.

I never said realistic :p

I've never played GTA4 or watched anyone else play it. All I knew of the game was what I saw on the TV commercials. And I honestly was under the impression that the actual game had better graphics than this.

It saddens me to the pit of my stomach that people consider this to be amazing. I tend to say that modern gamers only care about graphics, not gameplay. But when I see videos like this, I'm reminded that gamers don't really seem to give a shit about visuals, either. As long as they're technically slightly more fancy than what they saw a year or two ago, they declare the graphics to be good. Why is this? Why do we need to constantly redefine our definition of good graphics? Why can't we just jump ahead to what we expect graphics to be 50 years from now, and declare today's game visuals to be what they really are: glitchy, jerky, jagged, cartoony horseshit?

I mean seriously, if that 3rd video was used as CGI in a Lamborghini commercial, everyone would laugh at how terrible it looks. But for a game, it looks amazing. It's asinine. A non-interactive CGI Lamborghini scene either looks great or it doesn't. It doesn't look great in a game and terrible in a TV commercial. What if you showed someone that video and asked them if they liked what they saw, but didn't tell them whether it was from a video game or Fast & Furious 6? I guess they just wouldn't be able to give you a damned answer!

I'm so glad I'm not a modern gamer. I feel sorry for them for the treadmill of mediocrity that they're stuck on. Sure, I'm not getting any great new games to play either, but at least I'm not blowing my money on games and pointless hardware upgrades.

DoomUK said:

On Doomworld? I never would have expected this!

DoomUK said:

I want to go on record saying that I think it's:-

I never said realistic :p

I was mostly referring to the Youtube comments, actually.