Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Shadow of the Damned: Boom-compatible WAD project (image invasion on page 2)

After a lot of disappointment and unfinished build test, now I start a new project.

I know, there are some people on this forum who thinks that I'm an idiot because I start projects and leave them after x months/weeks/days; but I think these stuff are good for practice and improve myself. Hopefully, it won't be an abandoned stuff like the other ones.

I don't know how many map will I make...sometimes I have ideas, and sometimes I haven't. That's it. However, I made a line for every possible mapslots - just for case.

I use a modified version of esselfortium's cc4-tex.wad, so the resource is ready for me.

Planned maplist:

MAP01: The First Encounter
MAP02: Shadow Sanctuary (planning phase)
MAP03: King of the Hill (planning phase)
MAP04: Shores of Destiny (planning phase)
MAP05: Doom December (unplanned)
MAP06: Basic Base (unplanned)
MAP07: Sunrise Battle (WIP)
MAP08: The Forgotten Planet (unplanned)
MAP09: Asteroid Madness (unplanned)
MAP10: The Binary Battlefields (unplanned)
MAP11: Signal Transforming Supercomputer (WIP)
MAP12: Ocean Base (unplanned)
MAP13: The Hanged Man (unplanned)
MAP14: Quake Technology (unplanned)
MAP15: The Great Escape (unplanned)
MAP16: Twilight in the Industry (planning phase)
MAP17: The Poison Mountain (unplanned)
MAP18: The River (WIP)
MAP19: UAC Skytech Institute (WIP)
MAP20: UAC Timegate Complex (planning phase)
MAP21: Rise of the Dark Machine (planning phase)
MAP22: Purgatory (unplanned)
MAP23: Into the Lungs of Hell (unplanned)
MAP24: Jump in the Fire (unplanned)
MAP25: Demonic Holocaust (unplanned)
MAP26: Fields of Pestilence (unplanned)
MAP27: City of Hell (unplanned)
MAP28: Doomsday Dawn (unplanned)
MAP29: Hellstorm's Eye (unplanned)
MAP30: Icon of the Apocalypse (unplanned)
MAP31: Endless Night (planning phase)
MAP32: Legacy of my Dreams (unplanned)

Names with bold are finished, or at least nearly finished.

Volunteers for testing:
1. ultimatecarl
2. Sigvatr
3. fullmetalvaran33
4. Rambosee

PRIMEVAL said:

First screenie looks pretty cool, but I think the BBC code for the other 2 are messed up.

Solved! Sorry, I had some problems with the code, but now that's OK.

if you keep starting projects, making a few maps then leaving them, eventually you will be able to merge all your levels from all the projects into "K-Pack - random maps from Katamori"

The screenshots look pretty good btw

Foodles said:

if you keep starting projects, making a few maps then leaving them, eventually you will be able to merge all your levels from all the projects into "K-Pack - random maps from Katamori"

The screenshots look pretty good btw

Hehehe! :D Well, I don't have much finished maps. Most of them are in Katamori 1024. The unfinished ones were practice.

I'm not blind; I know, there are some people on this forum who thinks that I'm an idiot because I start projects and leave them after x months/weeks/days; but I think these left stuff are good for practice and improve myself. (EDIT: I'll copy this text to the first post)

fullmetalvaran33 said:

I think this looks like some of your best work so far.

You should see his CC4 map I'm finishing, brilliant work in there.

Pottus said to fullmetalvaran33:
You should see his CC4 map I'm finishing, brilliant work in there.

Overall, I did everything I could, but I was too greedy... the level was bigger than I'm able to finish. Playtesting is a perfect nightmare for me, especially on a level like Callisto Anomaly.

This is the main reason, why I gave it up.

I can understand Katamori, It's going to take me a little while just to figure out exactly how everything is working in that map but once I get a good feel of how it plays out shouldn't be too hard to finish I think.

Those shots look really good! I like the whole jungle-techbase combo. Hopefully you'll finish this, instead of giving it to me and me never finishing it. :p

Processingcontrol said:

Those shots look really good! I like the whole jungle-techbase combo. Hopefully you'll finish this, instead of giving it to me and me never finishing it. :p

MAP01 will be small and short, like in a good WAD. 80% of the map is ready.

I finished the 98% of MAP01's architecture. I didn't start playtesting, because of my sickness. Nothing serious, fortunately.

Here are some pictures about MAP02's start. I was sick, so don't expect any masterpiece. I think it's good enough, but not the best.

That... Whatever it is in the first shot looks awesome, though it's a shame the "ceiling" lights tile differently on opposite sides.

By the by, I'd be willing to help playtest if you need it!

ultimatecarl said:

That... Whatever it is in the first shot looks awesome, though it's a shame the "ceiling" lights tile differently on opposite sides.

By the by, I'd be willing to help playtest if you need it!

Thank you, playtesting will be needed for me later!

About the ceiling: I was a bit quick, and I didn't want to make subsectors to make it constant. I thought it's also good.

Sigvatr said:

Put me down for beta testing or I will cut your balls off.

Oh no! Please don't do it!

BTW, thank you for helping. :)

not that i advocate quitting a project, but if you do end up giving up early, that's ok you know. usually it's at a point like that that our biggest developments in mapping occur; when you decide that idea x actually sucks in comparison to this new idea y that you have.

that being said, i still think you should finish this. would love to see a solid few-map release.

Nice screenshots. But if you feel like you've never finished your recent project, why don't you try to settle for a release with lesser maps? Just releasing something and recieving the feedback would probably encourage you to continue with bigger stuff. 5 maps wouyld do just fine don't you think? :)

But you shouldn't listen to me, I've never released anything even though I've been mapping on and off since 01 :P

dannebubinga said:

Nice screenshots. But if you feel like you've never finished your recent project, why don't you try to settle for a release with lesser maps? Just releasing something and recieving the feedback would probably encourage you to continue with bigger stuff. 5 maps wouyld do just fine don't you think? :)

But you shouldn't listen to me, I've never released anything even though I've been mapping on and off since 01 :P

What do you think exactly? I may relase Katamori 1024, but since Episode 1 relase I made 3 levels only. I think relase three 1024-levels is pointless... and I don't have any other projects with finished maps.

By the way, I want to make more than 5 maps into Shadow of the Damned, because I think, five levels are not enough. Lunatic is a great example: five awesome levels, but I felt it short...

The other reason why I want to make much level is the MAP07 feature. I'm planning a special arena-like level.

Katamori, these look really good. Good luck with this project. Keep going with it. Do a bit each day, and eventually it will get there. If you have a new idea, incorporate it into the mapset, or write it down and put it aside for later. That way, you won't get distracted and have 10 different things going at once.

dannebubinga said:

Nice screenshots. But if you feel like you've never finished your recent project, why don't you try to settle for a release with lesser maps? Just releasing something and receiving the feedback would probably encourage you to continue with bigger stuff. 5 maps would do just fine don't you think? :)

Totally agree.

perhaps you yourself could do a couple of maps for this project? :P

I mean, 2 half finished projects = (potentially) 1 whole project.

MAP01: Jungle Dusk is officially finished. I uploaded the WAD to a file hosting site and sent the link to ultimatecarl and Sigvatr for playtesting. If anybody join them, I would send him too.

Katamori said:

MAP01: Jungle Dusk is officially finished. I uploaded the WAD to a file hosting site and sent the link to ultimatecarl and Sigvatr for playtesting. If anybody join them, I would send him too.

I'd like to give it a try. It looks like a stunning map!

fullmetalvaran33 said:

I'd like to give it a try. It looks like a stunning map!

I'll sent you the links, when I'll upload the files. Sigvatyr was very kind and made an FTP site for me, but uploading is a bit slow, so you have to wait yet.

Rambosee said:

I'll sign up for testing, just this time, remember to actually send me it!

Damn, just aks Sigvatr... I sent him two links. When I made Katamori 1024, I got definitely less help than now, so I didn't care with playtesting help that time.

Now I changed. It's a more serious project, than some joke with smally 1024-levels.

Alright, just got through it, sorry about the delay (I've been inebriated, asleep, or hung-over since you sent it). Here's some stuff I noticed:

This shadow doesn't look right... Not sure how you'd fix that, but there ya go.

It's not immediately clear that this is a lift, especially if someone was playing without freelook and couldn't see the key above.

This door isn't lower unpegged. For that matter I don't think any of the doors in the level were, though they weren't using the usual doortrack texture so it doesn't look too odd, but I question the choice of having the same texture for both walls, the ceiling, and the floor here.

This poor demon can't fit between the crates and the trees! It doesn't make him very threatening. :P

More non-unpegged doors! Again it doesn't really look that bad, but it's always kind of jarring to me.

I dunno what was up with this room. The first time I went in I got trapped inside for several seconds for no evident reason, then it let me go. I decided to explore the room again a bit later and got trapped again, but this time I was never let out. I shot and activated every inch of that room to no avail, so I think you need to take a look at that room. There's no enemies in that room or that spawn outside, so why does it even trap you the first time?

I dunno how many maps you're planning to make this, but I think after finding everything in the map the player is really kitted out for just finishing MAP01. I headed to MAP02 with 100 Health, 200 Armor, full bullets, full shells, a chainsaw, and a plasma rifle. If you're planning to make this a longer WAD that seems pretty early to have that many goodies. Also I managed to get 100% Items/Secrets, but I somehow missed one single monster... Odd. Also things were a bit on the easy side playing on UV, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like I could have finished the map with my eyes closed, so it's challenging enough to keep things interesting! :D

Other than that, map looks really nice! It's maybe a bit claustrophobic, but I felt like that was part of the theme so it worked. Looking forward to more, hope I helped out some!

ultimatecarl said:

This shadow doesn't look right... Not sure how you'd fix that, but there ya go.

Another victim of fake contrast. Just move a vertex a bit to make the line not orthogonal and therefore make its brightness unmodified from the sector brightness.

I'll ditto the lower unpegging door thing. I do think it looks bad.

ultimatecarl

Thanks for helping!

SOD1. There's a very small inside sector. Fixed.

SOD2. I didn't find any textures, which fit to that part. I try to find something.

SOD3.+SOD5. I didn't unpeg any doors. That's not a rare mistake, I always forget doors. I'll do it.

SOD4. I changed the demon into an imp.

SOD7. This is a trap room, where you get the skullkey, the wooden wall raises, a revenant teleports into the room, and the wall lowered after some minutes. I'll try to fix according to the next way: when you go to the room, the door closes and a revenant teleports into the room. I'll put a pillar, which will be constantly lower until it reaches the floor. Through this, you can go back to the outside area.

Finally: I'll use less amount of ammos.

Gez

It wasn't as complicated as you think. Simple editing mistake.