Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom Builder 64 Released (Updated 9/25/11)

Update: Doom Builder 2 has been updated. Current link should redirect to the updated editor. This update includes fixes (temp workaround) to the nodebuilder and cleanup/fixes for the setup installer.

9/25/11 Fixes:
* Removed configs in scripting folder to avoid warnings on editor startup
* Fixed crash when undoing created sectors/lines while in visual mode

Decided to just release the editor now instead of waiting until all the tutorials are done. I barely have time to work on the tutorials and seems fair to just release the editor now instead of having to wait forever.

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/doom64ex/files/tools/builder64/?

A wiki has been added to document any tutorials related to Doom 64 modding. This wiki, while VERY bare, can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/doom64ex/index.php?title=Main_Page

I suggest anyone to read up on the Doom Builder 64 page to follow up on the changes and improvements.

I plan on adding more content to the wiki as time goes on but hopefully people can contribute tutorials and whatnot to the wiki.

This thread is to also discuss about the editor, what can be done to improve productivity and how-to's. I will be more than happy to answer any question related to level editing. And yes, the editor is still in development so expect some oddities.

Anyways, I am looking forward to what people can come up with.

footman said:

Is it possible to use custom textures at all?

Yes. Simply create the TT_START and TT_END markers and place your PNG textures in between. Done. I also have a screenshot demonstrating custom textures in that post-your-doom-screenshot thread.

Doom64 though has zero tolerance for non-power of two textures.

Kaiser said:

Yes. Simply create the TT_START and TT_END markers and place your PNG textures in between. Done. I also have a screenshot demonstrating custom textures in that post-your-doom-screenshot thread.

Doom64 though has zero tolerance for non-power of two textures.

Ah, nice. Thanks!

In testing my map, I get this error:

********* ERROR *********
P_LoadLeafs: seg out of range: 1102 - 1101
Any idea what's up?

Two small issues:

- The setup installer overwrites the Doom Builder shortcut in the start menu. It would be nicer if it adds a Doom Builder 64 shortcut next to the original Doom Builder one. Let me know if you need help changing that.

- When starting the editor I get two errors:

Unable to load the script configuration "ZDoom_ACS.cfg". Error: No such compiler defined: 'zdoom_acc'
Unable to load the script configuration "Skulltag_ACS.cfg". Error: No such compiler defined: 'skulltag_acc'
But maybe I accedentially installed over an older version, so if you don't have this problem with a clean install then it is probably my mistake.

footman said:

In testing my map, I get this error:

********* ERROR *********
P_LoadLeafs: seg out of range: 1102 - 1101
Any idea what's up?

This is a dreaded bug with the node builder. Do expect this to happen often. Try recompiling. If that doesn't work then try removing sections and see if it fixes it. You can also send me the map so I can try to troubleshoot on why the nodebuilder is failing.

I really need someone with expertise to help me out with this sort of thing as I have very little experience with node builders.

CodeImp said:

Two small issues:

- The setup installer overwrites the Doom Builder shortcut in the start menu. It would be nicer if it adds a Doom Builder 64 shortcut next to the original Doom Builder one. Let me know if you need help changing that.

- When starting the editor I get two errors:

Unable to load the script configuration "ZDoom_ACS.cfg". Error: No such compiler defined: 'zdoom_acc'
Unable to load the script configuration "Skulltag_ACS.cfg". Error: No such compiler defined: 'skulltag_acc'
But maybe I accedentially installed over an older version, so if you don't have this problem with a clean install then it is probably my mistake.

It was meant to be installed seperately so it might have accidentally overwritten your exising installation.

I'll look at the shortcut issue. This is my first time messing with Inno Setup 5

Let's make a 64 community project! :P

EDIT: Some kind of a problem, a line with the action Macro is not triggered by dead monsters.

The role is a switch (which I don't know how to make its animation alive, on a one sided texture) that spawns mobs with TID "1". I have checked "Trigger on Death" on things and checked "Triggered by Dead things" on the Macro line. It should trigger a batch with the Floor Lower Fast action. But no results.

(The Macro line is from a dummy sector)

Kaiser said:

This is a dreaded bug with the node builder. Do expect this to happen often. Try recompiling. If that doesn't work then try removing sections and see if it fixes it. You can also send me the map so I can try to troubleshoot on why the nodebuilder is failing.

I really need someone with expertise to help me out with this sort of thing as I have very little experience with node builders.

Shoot me a PM Kaiser, I may be able to help with this.

C30N9 said:

Let's make a 64 community project! :P

EDIT: Some kind of a problem, a line with the action Macro is not triggered by dead monsters.

The role is a switch (which I don't know how to make its animation alive, on a one sided texture) that spawns mobs with TID "1". I have checked "Trigger on Death" on things and checked "Triggered by Dead things" on the Macro line. It should trigger a batch with the Floor Lower Fast action. But no results.

(The Macro line is from a dummy sector)

Make sure the thing's TID matches the triggered line's tag.

Gez said:

Not T_START/T_END?

That's for the IWAD, TT_START/TT_END are for pwads. Though I think it MAY work if you use the T_START/END markers as well...

Looks like your making more history here Kaiser. Can I safely assume there's gonna be a new frontier of projects regarding Doom Absolution? Not as in your old TC, but referring to Doom64's original name. Midway choose the title to be "The Absolution", but Nintendo wanted to change the name to "Doom64" for console recognition. Maybe you should give it the old name back in honor of Midway's contribution to the Doom series.

But aside from that, I'm really happy you got the Builder released! I hope to see more strides in this this particular Doom game itself.

Kaiser said:

Make sure the thing's TID matches the triggered line's tag.

Actually it turned out my problem was another line tagged with "1", which solved the problem by adding a Macro instead of direct action. Thanks anyway.

C30N9 said:

I'm going to add tutorials at the wiki, since I used the builder before.

Be sure they're Doom64-specific, thanks!

Assuming I can get off my ass, I'm willing to write up some tutorial stuff as well. Over the last couple of weeks I've had a lot of fun playing with the new lighting and macro systems, as well as the fake 3d architecture. I've also been quite pleased about how the game accepts custom textures without having to build a TEXTUREx lump.

what .. wait, a DOOM64 copy?

now I dont understand how this is DoomBuilder for Doom64

or should I take some file and insert it my DB directory?