Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Money

It sucks when you spend two straight days bored out of your fucking skull with $665 in your wallet and can't think of anything to go or do or kill or anything. Damn.

Well I finally paid off this Gateway. I can start ordering and assembling my Athlon XP rig now. The only catch is... I don't want a tower. I want a desktop model. They still make them, actually, although there aren't any new enough to take advantage of things like front USB ports. If there was a floppy drive sized (3.5) thing that had USB ports on it I would fucking cum all over the person who tells me about it. Or not. Whichever makes them happier. I don't care about CD rom sized (5) ones though, they suck.

I did manage to find this site in my search, though. I suggest EVERYONE HERE CLICK THIS LINK and take a look around.

I also realized my headphones disappeared, my nice bigass KOSS ones that had great sound. So I just picked up some Jenson JF25's. They're nice 'cuz they auto adjust to fit to this malsized fucking melon on top of my neck, they have a volume wheel, and even a mute button... which is nice 'cuz everytime me and my buddies lay around stoned someone has on the headphones with music and they usually leave one side off so we can convo. Terria is MAKING MY BRAIN RATTLE too, motherfuck these things have some hellacious bass.

I also, once again, regained my manhood. I no longer use a MS Intellimouse Explorer. Stupid laser beam rat. Fuck that shit. I'm back to a Logitech Trackman. The new one, with four red laser swooshes around the ball. Oh yeah. As soon as I adjust to this thing I might even do a few demo runs. Heheh.

BTW, can anyone tell me about something that will make me less bored?

there's plenty of time to save up 1000 or more for doom3 if you have a job.

i would stayaway from a desktop unit, unless u can get one used. they are usally more expensive and harder to keep cool. just get a tower. it is cheap and usally holds more. destops look nice but are harder to find and expensive. i have seen new ones sell between 60-85 with only 2-3 drive bays and 1 floppy bay

I have this sinking feeling I will end up trapped to a tower. I'd like a midtower. With three five's and only one 3.5, preferably covered up.

I do not and will never need two 3.5's dammit, floppies are SO fucking obsolete thanks to CD booting.

That site I linked to has towers with exhaust tubes on the top. Makes sense 'cuz hot air is lighter anyways.

I just really like the design of having the monitor sitting on the desktop, and I realize now, I actually miss it a whole lot.

An ideal desktop case would provide the following:

One 3.5 floppy, covered so you just have the button, light and hole. Seeing the whole thing kinda irks me.

Three 5's. DVD (burner when they get affordable), double barrelled zerus exhaust fan, CD-RW.

Enough space on the left side to put in 2 powerful fans... this way I create a wind tunnel of air coming into the left front and blasting out of the right front.

Having it not look like a big white box would be nice too, some swooshes or colors would be nice, but I don't like those ones with color everywhere or simply things that have a base color other than white... so the base color needs to be white or black.

And of course, front USB ports.

Coolermaster makes a nice one but motherfuck it's expensive... like $250. Man. =(

all the designer cases are expencive as fuck. I don't know if it's even worth it unless you really stare at the computer a lot. My tower is under my desk so I don't even see it most of the time.

With only one 3.5 bay, what happens if you ever decide to get a second hard drive? Or a ZIP drive or something similar? There'll be nowhere to put it ;)

I would say to sellotape or glue it on top of one of your 5.25 drives, except I did that once, forgot I'd done it, move the case too violently, and destroyed the drive :(

I'm perfectly happy with my tower: Three 3.5 bays, one of which is hidden behind the front case, and all of which are used, and four 5.25 bays, two of which are used.

I've got plenty of those plastic rectangle things you use to put in unused bays too.

The case also has two fans, and with the power supply fan and the CPU fan, everything's kept very cool indeed. The only downside is the noise, but as whenever I'm not playing games I either listen to music or have the TV on in the background, it's not really very noticeable.

The only time it affects me is if I want to leave it on overnight to download something, but 3/4 of the year I'm up at uni with no connection to the 'net anyway.

I put my hard drive in a 5.25 bay using some shit I found around the house. Or you could go to CompUSA and get those brackets for like 3 bucks and do it the right way.

As for the designer cases being expencive, after going to that site deadnail linked to I changed my mind. Most of them are under 100 bucks, I saw one with some just like those but they were like 200 bucks each, and even uglier.

Let me reiterate:

one external 3.5
three external 5's
at least two internal 3.5's

my current tower has 4 5's, 2 external 3.5's and a cage inside that can fit four 3.5's... RIBBONS EVERYWHERE AAAHH!!!!

A nice looking computer is always a plus. But I'd take an ugly, perfectly operating, high performance one if somebody gave it to me :)

They still make them, actually, although there aren't any new enough to take advantage of things like front USB ports. If there was a floppy drive sized (3.5) thing that had USB ports on it I would fucking cum all over the person who tells me about it. Or not.

I just got off the phone with the guy who runs the computer store I shop at regarding a problem I was having. At the end of the conversation I asked him about 3.5" sized USB expansion thingys. He said as far as he knows they only come in 5".

Originally posted by stphrz
At the end of the conversation I asked him about 3.5" sized USB expansion thingys. He said as far as he knows they only come in 5".

Well thanks anyway kid, you're a sweetheart for doing that.

The only person in the fucking world who has ever seen them is Lút, and judging by his memory he probably just saw the 5 ones but from really far away and doesn't know any better. =)

So the current wishlist for a computer case is:
One external 3.5 (perferably covered in some way, shape or form)
Three external 5's (more is fine)
Two internal 3.5's (at least)
Front USB since just about all motherboards have pins for that now
350W since I'll be getting a 1.4Ghz Athlon

No Lian Li cases accepted. Too fucking ugly and I'm not going to be overclocking so I don't need it's stupid metal.

Target model should be a mid-tower or a desktop, with a base color of either straight white or black. I hate beige and those stupid shiny brushed metal ones, they clash too hard with the drives.

Price cap is $200, and for $200 it'd Goddamn well better come with a 350W PSU and something that'll tickle my asshole while I jerk off.

That's great there, fodley, but apparantly you COMPLETELY IGNORED SOME OF MY MAIN POINTS! =P

A. It's Lian Li. It's too fucking angular. This isn't 1994.
B. CD-Roms and shit will look UGLY AS FUCK sitting in that thing.
C. I'd rather Dremel my own window in there, with a blue light, and maybe a decal or two.
D. It has more than 1 3.5.
E. I see nothing about anal stimulation in that feature list. Whee!

Pick the Dremel, some screwdrivers, glue and whatever else you like and hack a mid tower away turning it into a desktop.

deadnail, I don't think a midtower or desktop case exists that conforms to your wish list. I think you might just have to accept the probablility you will need a tower. You won't be satisfied with a case that doesn't have everything you want, so I think you should go for the tower. You'll be happier in the long run.

Maybe you should look around the house and see what you can turn into a case. My brother's turned both a chair and a filing cabinet into computer cases before ;)

The chair was even featured in the UK magazine PC Answers :)

PC Answers and PC Format are IMO the worst computer mags Future publishes... thank god they do have PC Plus.

I'm not trying to diss your brother's case though :D

Originally posted by FlatHead
You could always do like those Quakecon goofballs did, and make a case out of an old toilet bowl or a blow-up doll or something.

Heh, I've always wanted to make an insane "case" setup with an erector set =)

this one guy put that expanding phome all over his, it floated, one guy made his out of a fush tank and poured oil into it, the bays where suck on the outside.