Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellmaster

Does DOOM remember all the levels and things you did?

I always wondered if DOOM remember all the enemies killed, items collected and secrets found across the levels, or it just remember the ammo, health, arms and armor you have once you complete the level?

For example: I play E1M1: Hangar, killing every enemy and finding 50% secrets, once I complete the level, the intermission screen will show a blood stain on the hangar, but once in E1M2: Nuclear Plant, will it remeber that I killed all the enemies, and only found 50% secrets? or the game starts fresh, only remembering my health, arms, armor and ammo?

I know that thanks to the hub system, Hexen is able to remember the levels of the hub, but what about Doom and Heretic? and what about Hexen once you change the hub?

Hellmaster said:

For example: I play E1M1: Hangar, killing every enemy and finding 50% secrets, once I complete the level, the intermission screen will show a blood stain on the hangar, but once in E1M2: Nuclear Plant, will it remeber that I killed all the enemies, and only found 50% secrets? or the game starts fresh, only remembering my health, arms, armor and ammo?

No, it doesn't remember what you've scored on previous maps.

DOOM doesn't remember anything you did at all. All it does is remember your current stats, current level you're on, current location in that level, and other conditions for that specific level, and absolutely nothing more.

In fact, the only thing it may or may not consistently recall across several maps is if you've beaten the secret level of the episode or not. I'm not sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Megamur said:
DOOM doesn't remember anything you did at all. All it does is remember your current stats, current level you're on, current location in that level, and other conditions for that specific level, and absolutely nothing more.

In fact, the only thing it may or may not consistently recall across several maps is if you've beaten the secret level of the episode or not. I'm not sure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean in The Ultimate Doom, when you exit a level and during the intermission screen, the levels that you passed are stained with blood right? however in The Shores of Hell, if I recall correctly, the secret level only appears when you enter, and when you exit it, but then it will dissappear I think, or the blood stai will dissapear...

Some source ports have better memory, but vanilla only knows about the level you just left and the one you're entering.

Doom does keep track of your progress through an episode, but not the stats for each level you've conquered. Once you enter the next level, your secrets/items/kills for that level are forgotten.

PrBoom and some other source ports keep track of your total time playing an episode, though.

ZDoom saves full statistics.

If you want to see them, set the console variable to "savestatistics" to 1 for that. You'll get a file called zdoomstat.txt (though you can change that name with the statfile console variable) which will be updated whenever you exit a level or save the game.

Gez said:

ZDoom saves full statistics.

If you want to see them, set the console variable to "savestatistics" to 1 for that. You'll get a file called zdoomstat.txt (though you can change that name with the statfile console variable) which will be updated whenever you exit a level or save the game.

So ZDoom will save the kills, items and secrets of the maps you have visited, but it will just write the stats in a file? or will actually remember if you left some enemies and secrets behind?

I don't understand the question. How is "saving the statistics of each visited level" different from "remembering if you left enemies and items behind"?

Now if you mean this in "can I just go back to a visited level and finish it", the answer is "no unless it's in a hub".

Gez said:

I don't understand the question. How is "saving the statistics of each visited level" different from "remembering if you left enemies and items behind"?

Now if you mean this in "can I just go back to a visited level and finish it", the answer is "no unless it's in a hub".

Sorry, I understand that once you exit a level you can't go back, and like people said Vanilla Doom won't save your achievments, I notice while playing Knee-Deep in ZDoom that Zdoom actually remember your achievments (kills,items,secrets) however when I tried the savestatistics 1 in the console, nothing happened, and no txt file was created even when I save the game? so this only applies to new WADs or the old ones too?

PS: what I do noticed is that Zdoom will save the whole time you take completing levels.