Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Doom PRB HUD strings?

Is there a list of all of the press release beta HUD strings? I wouldn't know where to look in the exe, and I don't feel like playing it just to get the strings.

Also, what ingame behavior differences were there between the press release beta, and the 0.99 version?

Raw output from strings (you'll need to clean these up):

You pick up the armor.
You got the MegaArmor!
You pick up a demonic dagger.
You pick up a skullchest.
You pick up an evil sceptre.
You pick up an unholy bible.
ingYou pick up a blue keycard.
You pick up a yellow keycard.
r!You pick up a red keycard.
gYou pick up a blue skull key.
You pick up a yellow skull key.
You pick up a red skull key.
iYou pick up a stimpack.
You pick up a medikit that you REALLY need!
You pick up a medikit.
oFull health and an extra life!
oInvulnerability!
w sBerserk!
YoPartial Invisibility
 keRadiation Shielding Suit
ackComputer Area Map
diLight Amplification Visor
YoPicked up a clip.
t.Picked up a box of bullets.
Picked up a rocket.
Picked up a box of rockets.
Picked up an energy cell.
SuPicked up an energy cell pack.
 Picked up 4 shotgun shells.
Picked up a box of shotgun shells.
lPicked up a backpack full of ammo!
 You got the BFG9000!  Oh, yes.
dYou got the chaingun!
PiA chainsaw!  Find some meat!
 PiYou got the rocket launcher!
kedYou got the plasma gun!
You got the shotgun!

On a side note, the Doom alphas and the press release beta all seem to be compiled in debug mode, or at least haven't had their symbols stripped. There's a whole load of function names, filenames and other stuff in the output from strings.

fraggle said:

On a side note, the Doom alphas and the press release beta all seem to be compiled in debug mode, or at least haven't had their symbols stripped. There's a whole load of function names, filenames and other stuff in the output from strings.

Yep. They have Watcom-format debug information. Unfortunately IDA Pro does not automatically understand this form of debug info, BUT, the function symbols are listed in the order of output by the linker. So in other words it is quite simple to recover all of the function names by just going down the list.

I already did this with my IDA project for the pre-beta, which xttl and I were using to try to make the Doom 0.8 project, which we made a lot of progress with except for never getting a full mapset that was compatible.

Quasar said:

I already did this with my IDA project for the pre-beta, which xttl and I were using to try to make the Doom 0.8 project, which we made a lot of progress with except for never getting a full mapset that was compatible.

Developing an engine with a map format incompatible with existing editors has some drawbacks. Who knew? :p

That said, if you want, I could add the 0.8 map format to SLADE once it has its map editor complete.

The press release version has pretty much the final map format -- it just lacks the REJECT lump. Take any vanilla map, delete the REJECT lump, and you got yourself a PR beta map.

Make it a small map, though, because the limits (visplanes and co) were much lower then.

For the 0.8 maps, nes did E1M1, E1M2 was in the pre-beta already, E1M3 and E1M5 were done by InsanityBringer, I did E1M4 and started E1M6. So there were plenty of maps ready to go.

E1M6 is done except for things, which I could cobble together in an hour or so if asked.

Sodaholic said:

Also, what ingame behavior differences were there between the press release beta, and the 0.99 version?

Besides the slow lifts.

Corpses aren't crushed into gibs by sector movement. Instead, they block sector movement. Playing the press beta's version of E1M2, I managed to get stuck in the tiny room that overlooks the chainsaw donut area. When I went there, the monster moved halfway onto the lift where I was and died there. Its corpse collided with the ceiling when the lift moved back up, forcing the lift to go back down.

Sodaholic said:

Besides the slow lifts.

Well, Lost Souls use long range hitscan attacks instead of trying to fly into you and the BFG just shoots many little fireballs instead of a single large one + a hitscan "spray". I think there might have been some smaller differences that aren't as obvious (maybe you'll not notice them at all unless you look at the code) but I'm not sure anymore.

I haven't given up on "Doom 0.8" though. ;-) It's just that I'd need to write more and better tools to make doing some larger patches easier.

EDIT: Oh yeah, zombie troopers don't drop clips (and sergeants don't drop shotguns if you make or convert maps that have them). Also, your gun is always bobbing whenever you're trying to move regardless of whether your movement is blocked or not. In release builds, some types of blocked movement still cause bobbing (running into blocking things or into 2S walls that wouldn't block without the block movement flag set because no sector height differences are involved) but being blocked by a solid 1S wall or sector height difference stops bobbing.

Is it just me, or were the monster animation speeds different? I swear it seemed like enemies were slightly faster in movement, and had differently timed death animation frames. Obviously, I could be wrong, but still.

Are there any actor state differences in general, though?

Gez said:

Developing an engine with a map format incompatible with existing editors has some drawbacks. Who knew? :p

That said, if you want, I could add the 0.8 map format to SLADE once it has its map editor complete.

All you have to do is delete the REJECT lump :P

A much much bigger issue is that a large number of line types are unimplemented, do different things, or crash the game.

The changes between the pre-beta and the 0.99 release are absolutely enormous. Whole portions of the game engine were re-architected in that brief period of 3-4 months, including the handling of all mobjs.

2S line rendering is also incomplete in the pre-beta. There's no proper support for middle textures. They draw, but the sorting and screenspace clipping algorithms are unfinished and look like Carmack literally stopped working on them to compile the pre-beta EXE.