Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Hellbent said:

I don't know what complevel means. Although my suspicion is that it allows you to mimic various versions of Doom vanilla for playback compatibility in various ports (that would be awesome if that's what it is).

That's exactly what it is, although I think only PrBoom has it. And yes, it is awesome. And it works for actual live gameplay, too, not just demos.

I'm...actually a bit shocked someone working so diligently on a vanilla MegaWAD would be unfamiliar with complevel. But at least now you know. :)

If he's approaching the fiery depths of hell he is most certainly warming up.

40oz said:

If he's approaching the fiery depths of hell he is most certainly warming up.

I don't know it's pretty hot in Spirit World. He might get a sun burn.

Sigvatr said:

I don't know it's pretty hot in Spirit World. He might get a sun burn.

That's why the medikits have sunblock included. ;)

sgt dopey said:

I have never gotten past the spirit world without cheats

You do a great disservice to yourself.

My original Doom IWAD was somehow altered a long time back to replace the standard Demon alert sound with the "I'll swallow your soul!" quote from one of the Evil Dead films. I was under the impression that my copy was any early version and that in some later version of the IWAD they'd changed the sound to the normal one. I believed this until 2005.

I also misheard said quote as "Oh no ya don't!" and it stuck for many years as a result.

Also copies of the Doom and Doom2 IWADs have been altered by me a bit, so they're not accepted as what they are.

...I really never cared for Doomguy's ridiculous mug at the bottom center of the screen. And I find it annoying that everybody has it when they record Doom videos.

The old HUD feels like it takes up half the fucking screen. Same goes for Heretic and Hexen... but at least those two are classy.

Other than that quip, however, I still certainly like Doom.

I hate that both secret levels in Doom II are wolfenstein themed.

Dude, I know. A total waste of two secret levels.

I have never played Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, or Doom II Hell on Earth with a pistol start in each level. It's something I should definitely consider because the levels play different if played that way.

I still can't beat Doom/Doom2 on Nightmare unless I save. I still can't do Episode 4. Also, E2M6 is some bullshit.

Wagi said:

I still can't beat Doom/Doom2 on Nightmare unless I save.

Beating Nightmare even with saves is still a formidable challenge, so it's ok, we forgive you. :D

I have never played Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, or Doom II Hell on Earth with a pistol start in each level. It's something I should definitely consider because the levels play different if played that way.

Wow. I just realized I haven't fully try this too. And I love pistol start.

For years I had no idea the Berserk lasted beyond the red screen... could have saved me a lot of trouble.

I had the same impression for years too. But that's why I have tried to punch once an imp after the red faded away and thought I realized it really doesn't work. I just was unlucky and didn't test again, the punch didn't splatter the imp at first hit and I thought berserk doesn't work anymore.

I've never played Doom 3. I got TNT illegaly (I ended up deleting it because I didn't like it)

- The first time I finished Doom, in the Sega Saturn, in the easiest difficulty, I played it from Map01 Hangar to Map50 Threshold of Pain without taking any breaks in 7 or 8 hours. It took me 5 or 6 years to achieve this. Why? Because I never managed how to make the passwords to work. I always made typos when writing them without even noticing it, and wondered why they never worked :P

- I don't like most of MIDI music (Actually I like the music themselves, I just don't like how they sound in the MIDI format) with a few exceptions of user-made ones. Maybe that's because my first experience was with PSX music. I always keep a wad with Neurological and DimaensionX' metal remixes replacing all Doom and Doom 2 songs in my skins folder

- I don't like HR or AV. And i think they are pretty overrated. I can take Kamasutra or Scytche 2 over them any day.

- I don't like the abstract map design in Doom at all. Actually, I like the map formats with weird angles etc., but I miss stuff like benches, chairs, lockers, etc. For example, I always wanted to see an aircraft at Hangar, some power generators at the Power Plant, a giant radio antenna in Command Control, etc. In the other topic, I was talking about how I got amazed when I noticed that Doom 2 Map 19 actually perfectly looks like a Citadel.

- In Nightmare difficulty, I can't get past E3M2

- Can we confess really anything? Ok, I actually (deleted text)
No, this one is not worth confessing. I can end up banned :P

- I played Doom 2 by the first time in a pc in 2002, but I never found a way to kill the Icon of Sin until 2008, when I started playing with sourceports, and use mouselook. I still didn't knew of Wolfenstein secret level, or Romero's impaled head. I really got shocked by the fact that I have been playing this game for 11 or 12 years, all this stuff always been there, and I never noticed before.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

- I don't like the abstract map design in Doom at all. Actually, I like the map formats with weird angles etc., but I miss stuff like benches, chairs, lockers, etc. For example, I always wanted to see an aircraft at Hangar, some power generators at the Power Plant, a giant radio antenna in Command Control, etc.

You really need to play Roger Ritenour's Phobos. I bet you'll be surprised. :)

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I have been playing this game for 11 or 12 years, all this stuff always been there, and I never noticed before.

The best thing about doom.

Since 7 years of playing DooM, I've barely played with God Mode set off.

I've only fought the Spider Mastermind/Cyberdemon combo on Gotcha! once. Ever since I found out I could skip that room completely I've never gone back. I also didn't get them to infight when I did it.

Mattassacre said:

i never played the original doom until 2005. :/

It was until sixth grade I was actually able to play the REAL ultimate doom. And it took me forever to learn how to play WADs on it.

I have been playing Evilution on and off since I bought it new when it first came out.

And just the other week, I discovered that I have never played MAP 32 of that megawad.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

And just the other week, I discovered that I have never played MAP 32 of that megawad.

I can't figure out how you have managed to do this :/