Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASD

Running + mouse movement = more speed?

I noticed this some time ago. In vanilla Doom (DOS) when running and moving mouse forward, the character moves slightly faster. Has anyone noticed this before and does this have anything to do with strafe50? I've noticed a similar glitch in Wolf3D games aswell.

Does it happen even if you are actually running? I wouldn't exclude it right off the bat (mouse momentum is actually factored in along with the fixed momentum you get from keyboard), but in any case the friction mechanism would slow you down to an average/top running/walking/strafing speed.

I don't know if you could actually exploit this to give the player constant speed boosts (due to technical details, you would be limited to 42 map units/tic no matter how you achieved that acceleration), e.g. by rigging the mouse input to give regular forward pulses.

I guess I could rig Mocha Doom to do just that, take out the good old Doomguy-speed-o-meter and test this out ;-)

Edit: it seems possible only when you are not actually running (holding the shift key down or doing the joystick speed trick). The maximum momentum a player can gain from input alone is forcibly capped to a maximum amount, and you can't go beyond it, even after you stack keyboard/joystick input and mouse together.

That being said, if you are NOT running, the mouse input does indeed increase speed up to the maximum running speed (source port authors: you can simulate this by adding a constant amount of "impulse" to the forward variable in BuiltTicCmds). With a mouse movement of 10 units per tic, Doomguy "walks" forward at a speed of 11+ map units/tic (instead of the normal 8.333 mu/tic for walking). By adding more, you eventually hit the top allowed total impulse of 32 units, same as simply running (16.666 mu/tic)

You can abuse the system by giving constant LATERAL mouse input as well (with strafing on, otherwise you just spin wildly), and having automatic automatic SR-50 speed (assuming that you could continuously move the mouse in one direction with no stops, e.g. with an old ball mouse you could attach a motor to one of the wheels).

You're right. But it really does look like the character has increased speed when straferunning and moving mouse to that direction. I've propably looked it wrong.

No, I actually think you might be right. I have that same impression too - the mouse's forward motion seems to add to the speed.

I think that you can effectively SR50 for short distances you mouse-strafe and SR40 in the same direction. As for increasing your forward movement beyond 50, I don't think it's possible no matter what you do.

Wagi said:

I think that you can effectively SR50 for short distances you mouse-strafe and SR40 in the same direction.

With all the usual limitations and hardships that apply to doing a proper SR-50 (and not just Strafe-50), yeah, you could. In fact, there's nothing capping side impulse to 40. It's capped at 50, just like forward impulse, and you can only exceed it by actually combining mouse + keyboard input. But not just by forward impulse.

Wagi said:

As for increasing your forward movement beyond 50, I don't think it's possible no matter what you do.

Not true, you can always hack the executable ;-)

Gee Daiyu_Xiaoxiang, we didn't mention that at all! Thanks for chiming in.