Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

Arctic Stronghold - Episode 1 in progress

I always wanted to try my hand at mapping for a more advanced source port, to see what I could come up with. This is the result.

Arctic Stronghold will probably be no more than a small map-pack, however if I get enough support for it, it could be a Megawad. As the title implies, these maps all take place in the arctic. The maps will vary from bases to mountains to forests and so on. You will still see a lot of white in every map.

The resources that will be used for this wad will be the cc4 texture pack and the Monster Resource Wad.

I would like any help with testing so dont be shy!

Map Progress
---------------
Map 01: Buried Memories (3.42% done)1

It's..very drab. I'd change the gray 'water' back to blue just for some damn color.

walter confalonieri said:

nice, the holes in the first screen shot looks too rectangular... there's some kind of reason behind that choice?

Yes, there is. Most of the time, I try to draw original shapes, however, originally, I planned a slope for that, and when I made it, it looked retarded beyond all reason(the slopes looked wrong, there were holes), so I made it square so the slope would work.

Before I took the screenshot, I decided to remove the slope because it looked bad, and that made me free to make it any shape I want now. However, me being the idiot I am, I forgot to do that.

Use3D said:

It's..very drab. I'd change the gray 'water' back to blue just for some damn color.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill be sure to add some more color to the area.

The cave itself could use more work, the shape and lack of difference in height. Try to make the cave more natural by dragging the vertices around, and adding height difference and some other detail would greatly improve the area.

I also agree with Use3D, adding blue waterfalls would look much better.

I agree with the posts before me: blue water would add more life to the cave, as well as adding a bit more detail (expand the piece of rusted tech architecture and/or add more rocks, slopes, etc. to the cave). But I want to see how this turns out. I haven't seen too many winter-themed WADs.

Rambosee said:

Thanks for the feedback. Ill be sure to add some more color to the area.

I actually like the lack of color, really sets a mood. I feel chilly just looking at it. Or maybe uh, I need to turn the fan off.

There are people who want me to change the color because it makes the place look dull but at the same time gives off a theme. I dont know at this point what to do...

Rambosee said:

There are people who want me to change the color because it makes the place look dull but at the same time gives off a theme. I dont know at this point what to do...

I say do what YOU think looks best. It's your .wad, after all.

I agree with Olympus. It is your .wad and you decide what to do or what you are convinced with. But include a little of others' feedback or suggestions.

My philosophy: When in doubt, do what you want. If EVERYONE starts complaining about a particular something, then pay attention to it. ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Progress is going slow right now, probably will be working my ass off on this tomorrow, so expect screenshots and an update tomorrow!

Also, I changed the waterfall to blue. This is how the area looks like now. Area still in progress.

Heres the main problem I see what could improve the look drastically, you should try using terrain shaping using triangle sectors it`s really easy to do. Simply draw one sector in any shape you want then draw another sector inside of it with the same amount of verticies that follows the perimiter of the first sector. Then sector out each section into sqaures and further sector the sqaures into triangles. Then set 181 to all the linedefs except the inner triangle lines lower the floor and/or ceiling heights in 3D mode lower all the triangles into place. It can be done fairly quickly and looks good.