Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Has anyone reverse engineered the alpha versions?

I ask because I'm trying to implement as much pre-release behavior into Chocolate Doom as possible for my Doom EU project. Specifically, I'm looking for stuff like player speed, state definitions, how the bobbing code worked, etc.

Anyone have any notes/disassemblies?

I thought MBF only covered the press release beta, and not the alphas. While on the subject of MBF, though, where in it's source code would I find the beta-mode behaviors?

Sodaholic said:

where in it's source code would I find the beta-mode behaviors?

beta_emulation = !!M_CheckParm("-beta");

Okay, that's helpful for locating the beta behavior, thanks. Anyway, I've got two questions:

1. (original thread question) Have any attempts at reverse engineering the alpha versions been made?
2. How accurate is MBF's beta emulation? Are there any other inaccuracies I need to know about? (I've already noticed that zombies drop their weapons in beta mode)

sgt dopey said:

I don't know about any source ports other than MBF but you could always try it in dosbox

No, I'm not trying to play it, I'm trying to reimplement it's different behavior into Chocolate Doom. This has nothing to do with playing it, it has to do with coding.

MBF beta "emulation" was not really emulation. It was just a shallow sort of porting of the levels and basic features needed to play them. Lee didn't know anything much of reverse engineering and actually considered any attempt at it to be futile.

This could be called short-sighted, but then, tools like IDA Pro did not exist in 1998 either, so, to be fair, he was probably correct at the time.

The most accurate parts of it are the Lost Soul and the Beta BFG, which he "reversed" through empirical observation and iterative tweaking.

Well, as long as it's reasonably close, that's good enough. Still, has anyone ever figured out the following in the alpha?

*Weapon/viewheight bobbing code
*Player speed
*Weapon states