Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Making Monsters Teleport

Uhm....how do you make monsters teleport into a given sector (or sectors)?
Preferably one you're not in, in order to give the level you're using the monster teleport special that "suprise, suprise, suprise!" feeling?

If you are using Zdoom, you can take my method. A script with "Thing_Spawn (tid, type, direction);" to make enemies appear with the teleport sound. "type" can be found here:
http://zdoom.notgod.com/reference/spawnables.html
Make a map spot with the tag you want with the script "tid".
OR assign a line with the "Teleport" special and the destination with the tag you gave to the teleport.

If you're not using Zdoom, then you have to create a line with the teleport monster only assing to it and place the tag on the sector you want them to be teleported and put a destination in that tagged sector.

That's a great method, but your killcount gets messed up at the end 100+%. I know theres a script somewhere that is actually for teleporting monsters, but I'm not sure where. I'd like to know this too.

Guys,
To teleport by script, you can use these:
Teleport (tag);
or
Teleport_NoFog (tag);
The script would apply to whatever/whoever activated it. Typically the tag would be a tag number applied directly to a teleport destination. Vanilla doom required you to actually tag the sector containing a teleport destination.

You can also simply have a walk-over line with the teleport function set directly, no script needed. The line must be set to trigger when monsters walk over it.
If you want to have monsters teleport at a certain time, they have to be held back in an area, by a door or raised ledge, and that door opened or ledge lowered by some action of the player, and the monsters then allowed to walk over the teleport line. The monsters don't have to "see" the player to be made to walk toward the line, I think that if the holding area is arranged so that the monsters get nearer to the player when the cross the line, they will do it. They probably need NOT to be made deaf unless you have some arrangement for them to actually see the player.

Zdoom scripts allow other means of blocking / unblocking simply by toggling the properties of a line which has been given a number by the use of the Line_SetIdentification (number) special. When you do this, you can then use that line over and over, setting it to blocking such as "setlineblocking (number, BLOCK_EVERYTHING);", setting to trigger a script such as "setlinespecial (number, 80 /* ACS_Execute */, scriptnumber, 0, 0, 0, 0);" etc.

I always thought one of the better examples of an effective monster teleport supply for vanilla doom2 is seen in street.wad.

I don't know if this is what this post was asking, but how do you teleport a monster without it crossing a line or for that matter even moving!

You can do it the mechanical way with an accelerative BOOM conveyor that carries the enemy over the teleport line.

I've got lots more info about editing on my editing site:

http://www.teamdeim.com/der/

Sorry guys, no ZDOOM specific stuff yet.