Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Violator

Games you have recently revisited

I recently purchased Wolfenstein 3-D off PSN and man is this a blast from the past, the PSN version is great! Thinking of getting Mortal Kombat trilogy also.

Post any game you have recently revisited and post your thoughts and opinions about it.

I went oldschool. I have DosBox on here for Daggerfall and play some of that off and on. I got to thinking about the olde Gold Box AD&D RPG's that came out from SSI between 1988 and 1993 that I used to play on the Commodore 64 (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc...). There was a few that never got released on the C64 that I missed out on like Pools of Darkness. So I decided to try running Treasures of the Savage Frontier and have been playing some of that. I also started messing with Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures which is mainly an editor for making Gold Box style adventures and for playing the ones people make with it. I played one module that was set in the D&D Greyhawk campaign setting, which was short but pretty well done and now I'm playing another. I thought I would just play a little and probably get bored but I ended up playing it quite a bit. Sometimes these old games have more going for them, that's for damned sure.

I'm also kicking about in Oblivion now and then while waiting for Skyrim... :D

I actually just went through a stack of old game CD's, and installed the original Unreal Tournament. An all around sweet game.

I also started playing Diablo I again, with the expansion (which I never played myself) and The Hell mod, which makes it even more badass.

I was looking for Age of Empires but I could not find it.

Quake 2 was awesome on PS1, remember playing that split screen death match with a couple of friends.

Also loaded up some classic titles up on Dosbox such as Corridor 7 and Stonekeep! Can't wait to check how Skyrim turns out, pre-ordered it for PC.

The original Unreal Tournament is still today one of my favourite MP games, played that non-stop when I was a kid, awesome memories!

Another game I want to play through again, although not too old is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, don't remember that being too bad.

I just played some Soldier of Fortune 1 again after maybe 6 years since I last looked at it. What a piece of shit.

C'mon, you can shoot off enemy soldier's limbs and... all the other exciting features SOF brought to the genre.

I loved Soldier of Fortune when I was a kid, spent more time mutilating dead bodies than playing the game.

Yesterday I played a few Chip's Challenge levels that I never beat back in the 90's. I used the "solution maps" from gamefaqs where it shows the entire level, not just a small area like in the game. So, I used the maps to do some initial planning and then trial/error'd the rest in-game. It was hella fun!

I'm doing another run of Final Fantasy 12 with the help of a walkthrough. This time I'm doing 100% sidequests and it should take me upwards of 200 hours.

I'm also taking an old laptop and retooling it - I had Windows 2000 and a bunch of office software on it, but the novelty of doing modern things on an old machine wore off. Now I'll be installing Win98 and dedicating it to late DOS/early Windows games.

Started playing Fallout 2 again because, well...I read Fallout: Equestria and it inspired me to play it again. God damn, that game is seriously Nintendo hard. You want better weapons? Well, you're going to have to kill someone that has them...and is using them against you. Want better armor? Well, you better be carrying a small arsenal to trade in for a set of it. Either that, or be really lucky and happen against a caravan being ambushed by bandits, let them fight it out, then steal everything from the bodies of the dead.

Also, I played through Four Swords with my friend. I never played it before, but it's being released for free for anyone who has a DSi or 3DS right now, so if you want to play it, download it now.

Well, there is Doom 3, although it's not the same version I played originally. (PC instead of xbox.) There's also the whole S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, and Star Wars: Republic Commando.

Also, obligatory condescending laugh at Danarchy for being a ponyfag and needlessly reminding us once again.

Just yesterday I completed Quake 2.

I have to say I really liked it. Played now with a good port on a modern PC is a nice experience.

some people say Q2 SP is dull, but I think it was in the style of doom&quake.

I also downloaded q2 maps to play...

L.

Violator said:

I loved Soldier of Fortune when I was a kid, spent more time mutilating dead bodies than playing the game.

My brother used to do that in every game. Then he'd screencap the blood and print it out (on a slow inkjet with expensive ink) and store them all in a folder labelled "Print's". Because he's a twat.

Wierdly for games where you could injure people me and my cousin always tried to play it with quick kills. My cousin was brilliant at headshots and could get quite far with just pistols.

I had a thrash around GTA Advance 'recently'. Still sucks.

Lorenzo said:

some people say Q2 SP is dull, but I think it was in the style of doom&quake.

I liked Q2 SP a lot more than DM, which was very slow paced compared to Q1. The map style is good, but overall closer to Hexen with the hub system, inventory, etc.

I've been playing UT again recently. Still have fun loading up a quick practice match with any game type, especially assault. I also still play Age of Empires 2 + the Conquerers expansion pack. The AI in that game is literally the most predictable thing ever.

As of recent I actually started playing the original Counter-Strike again. Reminds me of back in middle school.

I just finished running through Ocarina of Time a couple days ago. I got all the pieces of heart, the biggoron sword, all the jars, all the magic arrows and all the spells, plus all the defense and magic meter upgrades and oh yeah, the gold scale. Only thing I didn't do was get all the gold skulltulas because it takes too long and really isn't that rewarding in the long run..

I might try to track down a copy of Majora's Mask and play through that since I've never actually finished it before. Either that or start making doom maps again. Maybe I'll actually finish one and release it!

hex11 said:

I liked Q2 SP a lot more than DM, which was very slow paced compared to Q1. The map style is good, but overall closer to Hexen with the hub system, inventory, etc.

I liked the hub system in Q2 (but didn't like it in Hexen).
Inventory is also good but usually I collect a lot of things that I don't use 'cos I forget I have them...

L.

My brother used to do that in every game. Then he'd screencap the blood and print it out (on a slow inkjet with expensive ink) and store them all in a folder labelled "Print's". Because he's a twat.

HAHAHA I did that a few times when I was a kid and got into shit for using expensive ink that was meant for printing pictures on mousepads!

I thought Quake 2 was pretty sweet, the level design was pretty damn cool as well as the game play, I got Ocarina of time that came with my Legend of Zelda that I still have to play through.

I guess the oldest non-mud game I've been playing the in the last week or so is Civ 4. There have been too many good indie games taking up my time to look back lately.

Shaikoten said:

I guess the oldest non-mud game I've been playing the in the last week or so is Civ 4. There have been too many good indie games taking up my time to look back lately.

I know you and everyone else here always talks about them, but mind sharing a few titles? My laptop may be dead, but I can still keep a list of good ones to look into

Hands down, no questions asked, you need to buy Dungeons of Dredmor right now. It's a graphical roguelike that is is positively hilarious, easy to pick up, difficult to master, and just plain fun.

I fired up Doom64 recently and got through it. Tons of good memories. Then there was my play though of the original Quake a few months ago. What's odd is that I had never played Quake straight through like that, but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Revisiting old games is something I do all the time. Lately I've been working on a map editor/converter for Zero Tolerance (yes, I know there already is one), and doing so has left me wanting to play the game through again. So I might just do that one next.

I saw copy of PSX Frogger and man is that a blast. I used to play the PC version (This is the Hasbro incarnation btw) a lot, but the computer I had back then sucked. SO fun to start playing this again. GOt for about two bucks too (PSX still). Love the music in it for whatever reason. Also got Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Haven't played that game in a loooong time. Good to see it again.

I haven't really played ANY games lately, let alone old ones. I have the urge to play Morrowind again though. Main thing holding me back is installing the whole thing (plus GOTY expansions) and finding all my old mods that made the game playable, plus the extender. Probably should have all that shit installed already, though.

Revisited SimCity 4 last week. It's either more annoying than I remembered, or I have become more stupid.

I would say that I am revisiting Resident Evil 4, since I just downloaded it on XBox Live, but I have never actually played it before. Having fun with it so far, though.

Closest actual recollection was Duke Nukem 3D, also on Live... this is a nostalgia machine. :)