Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Doom in Everyday Life

[Note: I realize that there are several similar threads akin to this, but none are terribly recent, and I'm too lazy to find them.]

So, my 6-month-old is getting her first teeth, which is one of those watershed parenting moments in which conflicting emotions -- pride and relief that she's healthy and developing; wistfulness that she is no longer your tiny infant girl; sorrow that she is in pain; ungodly frustration that you, her protector, cannot ease that pain; excitement at knowing she will soon experience her first bites of real food -- surge and wrestle within you until you are emotionally exhausted. It is also a time in which the little brats occasionally scream like maniacs and it drives you up the wall, and you find yourself doing anything you can to comfort them.

I bring this up because last night, as I was sauntering around the house with a fussy little girl in my arms, I found myself humming a sweet little childish tune in hopes it would help calm her down. My wife, who was listening, looked up and asked, "What is that song from?"

I had to think about it for a moment, but then, rather sheepishly, replied, "That's D_BUNNY -- the song that plays after you beat the Spider Mastermind in episode 3 of the original DOOM."

---

So, what's your "Oh, it's a DOOM thing" story?

I have a shotgun shell keychain on my set of car keys. I also have two doom t shirts and a doom tattoo.

Lutz said:

[Note: I realize that there are several similar threads akin to this, but none are terribly recent, and I'm too lazy to find them.]

So, my 6-month-old is getting her first teeth, which is one of those watershed parenting moments in which conflicting emotions -- pride and relief that she's healthy and developing; wistfulness that she is no longer your tiny infant girl; sorrow that she is in pain; ungodly frustration that you, her protector, cannot ease that pain; excitement at knowing she will soon experience her first bites of real food -- surge and wrestle within you until you are emotionally exhausted. It is also a time in which the little brats occasionally scream like maniacs and it drives you up the wall, and you find yourself doing anything you can to comfort them.

I bring this up because last night, as I was sauntering around the house with a fussy little girl in my arms, I found myself humming a sweet little childish tune in hopes it would help calm her down. My wife, who was listening, looked up and asked, "What is that song from?"

I had to think about it for a moment, but then, rather sheepishly, replied, "That's D_BUNNY -- the song that plays after you beat the Spider Mastermind in episode 3 of the original DOOM."

---

So, what's your "Oh, it's a DOOM thing" story?

BEST STORY EVER. This is the coolest, most classic thing I've ever read on these forums.

I often imagine how real life architecture would work well as maps...but for games like half life and rainbow six. I don't find myself thinking "this would be a good doom map" very often

magicsofa said:

I often imagine how real life architecture would work well as maps...but for games like half life and rainbow six. I don't find myself thinking "this would be a good doom map" very often

I was in a basement/50's nuclear bunker earlier today, complete with the really heavy steel doors and total darkness when the lights are off... that definitely gave me a CoD and HL vibe. Sort of cramped Doom-y too, as the doors height wasn't much greater than my own.

Two DOOM tattoos. One is the swirling skull graphic from the Master Levels box art, the other is a giant leg panel of the Icon of Sin.

40oz said:

I have a shotgun shell keychain on my set of car keys. I also have two doom t shirts and a doom tattoo.

Hahahaha. I seem to remember you back on NewDoom back in the day insisting that you'd never wear a doom shirt because you wouldn't want anyone to know how much of a nerd you are. You're cute. :D

EarthQuake said:

I thought it was adorable. Did you actually get to the part of the song where it turns all twisted and demented?

Well, I kept it in a major key, but we did jazz it up and added the rhythmic portions of the finale.

My baby sister loves to watch me play Doom...

I sometimes hum myself a little mixed version of At Doom's Gate.

When I own my first house, I am actually going to paint all the keys and doorknobs different colors. Not just because Doom did it, but because it's actually a good idea. No more trying every single key to remember which one opened the door from the kitchen to the garage, just look for the blue key. =P

I like to do the weapon and movement bob when I walk around sometimes. And also mock the hand position of the weapons. And I like to squint around like the HUD face (while making his grunt noise when I jump from somewhere).

WildWeasel said:

When I own my first house, I am actually going to paint all the keys and doorknobs different colors. Not just because Doom did it, but because it's actually a good idea. No more trying every single key to remember which one opened the door from the kitchen to the garage, just look for the blue key. =P

Color association for keys in real life...

I like it. I think you're on to something there. Although in case you're keys ever get stolen, I'd install some mandatory shootable switches in obscure locations near the keyed door, so that if the thief tries the door he'll fall into a nukage pit or release a Arch-Vile closet unless he somehow notices the shootable switch.

I admit that when I walked my first sentry duty, with the rifle and all, for a while I kept it in a "centered" position and tried to bob it like Doomguy, while humming E1M1. Soon I realized that it:

1. Looked silly, and probably would result in the sentry inspectors reporting me for acting ridiculous while on duty.
  2. It was fun maybe for one minute ("Look ma, I'm like Doomguy!"), but there was no way I could keep this up for a full 3-hour guard shift 12:00-3:00.
  3. Well....I was expecting no demons in MY base, so I turned it down a few notches and just walked my post normally from then on ;-)
After that, I restricted humming E1M1 to more private affairs.

WildWeasel said:

When I own my first house, I am actually going to paint all the keys and doorknobs different colors.

On the subject of real estate, I wonder if Lüt has finished redecorating his Tricks & Traps condo?

40oz said:

I have a Doom shirt for every monster, and also a BFG shirt.

At work, wrote a note to myself:

7:10 (September 12th) image needs work--lower left has double edge and splash damage needs improving
The note was talking about the impact of the planetary body with Earth to form the moon.

When I'm late for classes and have to make a run to the third floor of the school, I always have Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names) in my head for some reason.

Whenever I try to open a locked door, I make the Doom dude's grunting noise...but my voice is a lot deeper than his :) I also try to look down without looking at my arms or legs - after all the Doom Dude can do it :P

baronofheck82 said:

Whenever I try to open a locked door, I make the Doom dude's grunting noise...but my voice is a lot deeper than his :) I also try to look down without looking at my arms or legs - after all the Doom Dude can do it :P

hang on.

Doom guy can't see his legs...
Doom guy can't crouch...
Doom guy can't jump...
Doom guy usually uses only one visible hand...

Doom guy is in a wheel chair o_o

phobosdeimos1 said:

Does anyone else look for real-life texture misalignment?

LULZ

I did that before, and found quite a few in my bathroom.