Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Ground Zero (Doom64 Pwad)

I've stumbled across this old map I made when I first began work on the Outcast level set for the Doom64 TC. This level was scrapped and was eventually reused again for Doom64 EX back in 2008. This map started off as an experiment test level used to debug and test out features from Doom64 but eventually became it's own map. This level is now part of the kaiser_* series and can be downloaded below.

Download link: kaiser_24.zip

This map has not been uploaded to idgames yet and is still expected to go through several more tweaks. There are more likely bugs present since this is a somewhat old map that was built during the early stages of Doom64 EX.

Enjoy

I remember this map, very cool :). The last time I played it, one of the switch puzzles were broken...but I assume that is no longer the case. Giving this a download and play very soon!

Just slightly off-topic here, but what's left on the to-do list before the Outcast levels can be converted to work with KEX? I really enjoyed those maps and it would be awesome to see them running in your engine. Although I assume the actual converting process might be lengthy and tedious :P

Out of curiosity, was the earlier version of this map included in older Doom 64 EX as a test map?

Mechadon said:

I remember this map, very cool :). The last time I played it, one of the switch puzzles were broken...but I assume that is no longer the case.

Those bugs are addressed so hopefully you shouldn't run into those problems.

Mechadon said:

Just slightly off-topic here, but what's left on the to-do list before the Outcast levels can be converted to work with KEX? I really enjoyed those maps and it would be awesome to see them running in your engine. Although I assume the actual converting process might be lengthy and tedious :P

I need to write a tool to convert the level format and replace the old Doom64 TC textures with the proper texture references. It's not hard at all except that I need to painfully write code to compare each texture name with the texture name in Doom64 EX. And there's 500 of them I need to do.

Once converted I will need to do lighting passes and replace the XG scripting stuff with macros.

buttspit said:

Out of curiosity, was the earlier version of this map included in older Doom 64 EX as a test map?

Yes it was. The only difference with the one posted here is that it's using some of the custom textures that it originally used during Outcast's development and some bugs were addressed and item balancing was done.

Kaiser said:

I need to write a tool to convert the level format and replace the old Doom64 TC textures with the proper texture references. It's not hard at all except that I need to painfully write code to compare each texture name with the texture name in Doom64 EX. And there's 500 of them I need to do.

Someone wrote a utility for me for Hacx that does mass texture-replacement in Doom format maps, with the input being a textfile containing the old/new names. Think that would help on that step?

Xaser said:

Someone wrote a utility for me for Hacx that does mass texture-replacement in Doom format maps, with the input being a textfile containing the old/new names. Think that would help on that step?

If you have the source code then that would be very helpful

Pretty nice level, but there is a gameplay bug after you get the red key then run up the stairs before the pillars rise, there is no way out of that room, and the pain elemental from after you get the yellow key doesn't seem to notice the player.