Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EkzM

Source ports for speedrunning?

Hey, i'm in a hurry now. But!
What source port is best for speedrunning on slaughter maps and normal maps?
Ty in advance!

Yeah, for speedrunning I'd say PrBoom+. There's no real reason to consider another port unless you're not interested in demo-recording your speedruns. But then, what would be the point of speedrunning?

entryway said:

I am at 1024x768 on my Samsung CRT

Syncmaster 979F? ;-) Dat shit is da motherfucking ass.

chungy said:

haha wow, that is strange...

Also I hope that's not your regular resolution. It actually manages to fit in my laptop's puny screen...

Hahaha, no, its not me! I havent downloaded it yet, and im not from russia.
But today at 17:00(european time) i will try to beat the world record of speed-downloading PrBoom+ from sourceforge! livestreamed on twitch.tv

livestreamed on twitch.tv

But won't that hinder you? I guess it's no different than no longtics, though.

Gez said:

Yeah, for speedrunning I'd say PrBoom+. There's no real reason to consider another port unless you're not interested in demo-recording your speedruns. But then, what would be the point of speedrunning?

Yep. NO other source ports that I am aware of have invested ANY time into recording and playback of vanilla- and BOOM 202-compatible demos :P

Unless you're going pure demo-recording route, I'm pretty sure every source port out there can work for speed-running. Doubly true when you fire up something like FRAPS to record.

Hand X said:

Skulltag, zDoom and GzDoom should have done that... So the demos would be ogg video format for example, instead of lmps.

You are missing the point. Videos are worthless. You can't even be sure that the recorder didn't type in a cheat code or used a weapon mod like Maes's. (only w/o decals).
And you can't run around in videos and see what happened behind the player's back.

Quasar said:

Yep. NO other source ports that I am aware of have invested ANY time into recording and playback of vanilla- and BOOM 202-compatible demos :P

I'm told that Doomsday has a feature to play back Vanilla Doom 1.9 demo's. But it broke long ago and Deng team haven't got around to fixing it.

Vermil said:

I'm told that Doomsday has a feature to play back Vanilla Doom 1.9 demo's. But it broke long ago and Deng team haven't got around to fixing it.

Eternity's had it for a LONG time.

Vermil said:

No, Doomsday does not and probably never will have support for Vanilla demos. It's just not worth it for us to support them given the goals of our project. Not to mention that there already exists several source ports which do offer playback of vanilla demos (and for which it is far more practical).

Indeed, upon checking, it seems I got confused, my apologies. I was confusing Vanilla demo support with Vanilla save game support…

So to correct myself:

Doomsday has a feature to load Vanilla save games. But it broke long ago and Deng team haven't got around to fixing it.

Doomsday doesn't have the ability to load Vanilla demo's (as of writing).