Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

Extremely Hard Levels

Recently, a friend of mine discovered Skulltag/ZDoom and the like. However, he claims that CoD is harder and takes more skills. In a way, I agree with him, but I need recommendations for extremely hard levels that will shove that comment up his ass.

Any suggestions (nothing mainstream megawad please, like Scythe etc)

I plan to show him Sunder, but anyhting else?

64lemons

Knew a bastard would bring it up.

I should say moderately detailed too.

It depends what he meant by "CoD". Which game? Campaign or multi-player? Comparing the standard game of CoD to a user-created Doom map isn't a fair match up.

Cod + skill = DOES NOT COMPUTE

Here's a good, hard level I reviewed back some time ago, called Ancient Hatred. I want to see someone max this out on UV. I only maxed it only HMP, and all I had left was 2 rockets.

Rambosee said:

Here's a good, hard level I reviewed back some time ago, called Ancient Hatred. I want to see someone max this out on UV. I only maxed it only HMP, and all I had left was 2 rockets.

Can you upload your demo please?

BloodyAcid said:

I should say moderately detailed too.

Why? Detail-level has nothing to do with gameplay.

Also, I think wads&mods needs moar HARDEST MAPS EVAR threads.

Memfis said:

Can you upload your demo please?

I never really got around to recording a demo. And I don't think I would ever be able to. Maxing this wad is very hard. I had to use a lot of save games since in some situations I was trapped with an archvile at 6 health with a rocket launcher. Eventually, I completed this single level wad at the 30 min mark. I only really played it once. The only other reason I still kept it was because of it's very moody music, which I used in Progressive Fiction Map 27.

My review was in The Newstuff 384. It's near the bottom. Speedrunning it should be much easier. I can't do it and record a demo though. I have shit experience with recording demos.

Grain of Salt said:

Good call.

I was just being sarcastic, but I assume you knew that. :)

I dunno what the hardest map evar is. But, it's probably one that wasn't fully playtested. There have been a couple nochance demos, but I'm not sure if I've seen someone demo darkdave's maps.

Oh, maybe you're right about nochance. I knew gggmork posted a fail demo, but I thought someone else posted a max demo (I probably got confused).

As far as I know, Death-Destiny playtested nochance on HMP.

the first raw version of mek's second btsx map. :)
another good, but unusual answer would be timeofdeath's rjsloth11, totally impossible to finish for everyone except a handful of rj fanatics.

I've not played CoD. But I assume it's the one or two bullets and you're dead deal, like in Battlefield etc. And if it is in Multiplayer you're talking, then there's actually some kind of reasonable base for comparision.
In the way that CoD works, anyone can get a frag on anyone. It's just the way it is. That is however not the case with Doom (though I would say it's even less so with Quake) where a skilled player would be able to never let you kill them in virtually any situation.

Comparing single player however would be like apples and oranges.

Grain of Salt said:

Scythe II
Hell Revealed II
Kama Sutra
Plutonia (why not?)
Speed of Doom
Holy Hell
64lemons

These, plus -fast.

Skepland is good, probably the most recent one of the type the OP is looking for.

It's not jampacked with thousands of monsters, but trust me UV isn't for the faint hearted!

No Chance comes to mind as a slaughter map where you're immediately overwhelmed to the extreme on UV. If you play that one, don't expect even a second to catch your breath.

I'm not sure if it's the hardest Death Destiny map on UV (questioning Disturbia/Elysion mainly) but it might be (note that he also has some very tough levels he contributed to Dark Resolution 2008, in addition to his single maps).

Eternal's slaughtermaps (most notably To Fight, 32innail Map05, Cybersky, and GOEvil) also go off the deep end.

Unfortunately in terms of ultra-tough stuff that is NOT a slaughtermap the recent skepland.wad is the only thing to really come to mind at the moment. I'd actually be interested myself if someone has recommendations for another wad like it (extreme difficulty without a way higher-than-average monster count).

EDIT: To avoid any taking over of threads, I split off this interest of mine into a separate thread.

Well, here's my list of recommendations:

The Chord Series
Hell Revealed 1 + 2
Scythe 1 + 2
Kama Sutra
Lunatic
Hanging Gardens
Deus Vult 1 + 2
Skepland
No Chance
Disturbia
The Beesong
Belial's Bad Brain
Elysian
Generator of Evil
Alien Vendetta
Legacy of Belial
Nostril Caverns
Smedley
Sheol's Ludacris Descent
The Spire 1 + 2
XXXI CyberSky
32 Inch Nails
Drown in Blood
Epic
Holy Hell
Legacy of Suffering
Shai'tan's Luck
Cyberdreams
Speed of Doom
Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos

Yeah, that should definitely keep you busy for a while.