Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Muammar Gaddafi Dead

I hope they'll have a good leader, although they've been just as brutal throughout this campaign as Gaddafi was during his reign. I just hope there is a general election and it isn't just a leader of the rebels that gets placed at the top.

it's actually italy that's historically close to libya, not france. then again, silvio was buds with good ol' muammar, so who knows who's going to pull strings behind the new puppet government. expect another iraq, except less in yo face.

Given how often Gaddafi's sons have been captured and killed over the last few months, I'd wait until his corpse has been identified before celebrating.

Marnetmar said:

http://i.imgur.com/yw6FT.png

How dare you ruin my second-favorite Disney villain of all-time?!

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

haha finally owned, hope there's new days for Libya.

Like there were in Egypt?

Was it done by a kid in a souped-up De Lorean, shouting "that's for ordering the hit on Doc, you bastard!"?

In those cases, all the foreign intervention/internal insurgency did was creating a power vacuum, which was haphazardly filled by opposing factions (such as in Afghanistan, Iraq) help together by bubblegum and spit, or simply by the second-in-line for command, the army (in Egypt). Neither resulted in noticeably better conditions for everyone (or even for most).

I know it sounds weird - and I'm not sympathising with old Gadaffi-duck's position on... well, anything really - but I'll kind of miss him. For as long as I can remember, he was this crazy madman out there doing strange, eccentric, weird and, yes, unacceptable dangerous shit. He has been a lot quieter in recent years but in the 70s and 80s he was in the news a lot.

And I'm not sure that a 69 year old man's beaten body being dragged around the streets and exposed to the world's press does any one any favours really.

Enjay said:

I know it sounds weird - and I'm not sympathising with old Gadaffi-duck's position on... well, anything really - but I'll kind of miss him. For as long as I can remember, he was this crazy madman out there doing strange, eccentric, weird and, yes, unacceptable dangerous shit. He has been a lot quieter in recent years but in the 70s and 80s he was in the news a lot.

Yes, Gaddafi definitely had a certain charm to him...

I'd rather depict him like a hot potato... the way he was dropped by the western world. So the new guys in the house will still sell us their oil?

So I turned on the news today to see raw footage of his last moments and him getting shot. For Christ sakes what the fuck is up with media these days, I'm not some fucking desensitized animal that wants to see someone getting murdered, regardless of how infamous said person is.

DeathevokatioN said:

So I turned on the news today to see raw footage of his last moments and him getting shot face. For Christ sakes what the fuck is up with media these days, I'm not some fucking desensitized animal that wants to see someone getting murdered, regardless of how infamous said person is.

I agree with this, The media is fucked up.

DeathevokatioN said:

So I turned on the news today to see raw footage of his last moments and him getting shot. For Christ sakes what the fuck is up with media these days, I'm not some fucking desensitized animal that wants to see someone getting murdered, regardless of how infamous said person is.

QFT

This is what greeted me as soon as I turned on the news this morning. Gaddafi with a bullet hole smack dab in the middle of his forehead. I'm sure we will be seeing this footage on the news for the next 2 weeks as well...

I'm surprised they actually showed that, considering the media tends to make a point of blocking out that sort of imagery.

boris said:

I'd rather depict him like a hot potato... the way he was dropped by the western world. So the new guys in the house will still sell us their oil?

Yeah, about that.

The science of the matter is: Libyan crude oil requires a different refining process than oil from most other places. Sadly, as Libyan oil was so prized by a certain region [China and parts of India], those regions will now compete with the other, harder to refine crude that most refineries which were getting by with as little maintenance as possible using Libyan crude simply cannot refine.... which renders its oil unusable.

It's a nasty little issue.

Xeros612 said:

I'm surprised they actually showed that, considering the media tends to make a point of blocking out that sort of imagery.

Maybe they wanted to show what could happen to all those pesky OWS protesters if they don't learn their places and stop standing up to the NWO :P

Technician said:
Well, it was inevitable.

Perhaps, but only because the NATO and the CNT are related to democracy only in the sense of "the rule of the city" and not "the rule of citizens".

This reminds me of a documentary I saw recently that alleges that Mussolini was assassinated by the Brits (with Italian accomplices) to ensure some letters Churchill and the Duce wouldn't reach the public. If not, perhaps, he would have been held on trial in a civilized fashion.

As with Saddam, now it will be harder to determine how much of the idea that Gaddafi was a brutal dictator (especially lately) was reality and how much was propaganda or media myth.

Xeros612 said:

I'd call it visual terrorism. Statements saying his death was "a message to all dictators out there" by NATO statesmen (a Turkish minister said it more or less literally and Obama insinuated something similar, at least) were arguably enough to encourage it, assuming there weren't any more direct suggestions or directives to key media.

Maes said:
In those cases, all the foreign intervention/internal insurgency did was creating a power vacuum, which was haphazardly filled by opposing factions (such as in Afghanistan, Iraq) help together by bubblegum and spit, or simply by the second-in-line for command, the army (in Egypt). Neither resulted in noticeably better conditions for everyone (or even for most).

And in Libya, a particularly tribal country Gaddafi was holding together with a fine balance, there were two key groups behind the fighting: the Islamic movements like the Muslim Brotherhood which tend to resent western interference and exploitation, and the westernized ex Gaddafi representatives, including potential CIA/NATO spies or representatives of the deposed government that was supposedly oppressing the country.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

haha finally owned, hope there's new days for Libya.

Well, it looks like they are off to a "good" start - the new government making (probably untrue) statements about how Gaddafi died to avoid association with what was probably a summary execution. ie, one of their first acts is to lie to the public to try and limit the damage that the nature of Gaddafi's death may cause them.

Not that them doing so is any kind of surprise really.

FWIW it looks a lot more likely that he just bled to death from injuries sustained from getting bombed.

Anyway the Arab Spring is a beautiful thing. As North Africa and thr Middle East get their freedom by paying in blood, we have the teabaggers. Food for thought?