Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

[Updated v1.1] Monster difficulty mod

I've updated the mod to v1.1. I have fixed the Hell Knight/Baron of hell issues and changed the Lost Soul and Pain Elemental.

Changes:
Hell Knights now function like their -fastmonsters counterpart, they move faster, shoot more and the projectiles are a faster. Simple yet effective

Barons of Hell are don't just stand still and spam you, the fire a volley of 3 projectiles, pause/reacquire target then fire a volley of 1 projectile. I find them a lot more balanced now. I also find them sufficiently different to Hell Knights.

Lost Souls were totally redone, no longer translucent and they do infight. I halved their painchance (128 vs 256) and lowered their health by 25% (75 vs 100). I had to make them a bit weaker to compensate for the buffed Pain Elemental.

Pain Elementals once again infight. I think the most significant changes are that I slightly lowered their painchance (96 vs 128). You can still keep them in their painstate with a chaingun/chainsaw/plasmagun but they have a slightly better chance to get off one more lost soul in certain situations. I don't think you will ever consciously notice this (at least that's the plan) but they will overall spit more lost souls throughout your game. More significantly I lowered their mass (275 vs 400) so when you spam them with the chaingun or give them a solid SSG blast they will fly back more, opening up space for them to spit more Lost Souls.

All changes can be found in the changelog

Download v1.1

If anybody has a few minutes to spare or wants to play a harder version of Doom that still feels like Doom (no railgun zombies!) I would love some feedback.

Download link
Complete changelog - I personally recommend playing it for a bit then reading this as it has every change listed (bar blood color)

Thanks you guys and keep on Doomin'

After reading through the change log and seeing that this tweaked Barons to shoot three projectiles at once, I downloaded it and immediately went to Tricks and Traps to watch the Cyberdemon get absolutely raped. (He killed one Baron.)

Tarnsman said:

After reading through the change log and seeing that this tweaked Barons to shoot three projectiles at once, I downloaded it and immediately went to Tricks and Traps to watch the Cyberdemon get absolutely raped. (He killed one Baron.)

Had to to the same thing, again only managed to kill one Baron.

I'm tempted to play Ultimate Doom all the way through using this!

Tarnsman said:

skaman86 said:

Had to to the same thing, again only managed to kill one Baron.

Haha, I can't believe I didn't see that one coming. Sucks that it broke the level like that :( If you have any suggestions on how to fix it let me know.

J-selva said:

What's the Heademon mentioned in the changelog?

I'm a bit confused, there is no heademon (head demon?) mentioned in the changelog. Are you asking about the lost soul, cacodemon or pain elemental?

skaman86 said:

I'm tempted to play Ultimate Doom all the way through using this!

This means a lot to me, I'm really glad to hear that you like it. If you do play more I'd love some feedback :D

sounds interesting. I really don't like these difficult enhancing ueber-zdoom-clusterfucks. Well I'm checking it out with some wads.

Pain Elemental
- Fires lost souls more

wtf were you thinking? the pain elemental was already a pain in the ass ;)

xvertigox said:
I'm a bit confused, there is no heademon (head demon?) mentioned in the changelog.

line 99, you probably mean the cyberdemon?

Sp00kyFox said:

sounds interesting. I really don't like these difficult enhancing ueber-zdoom-clusterfucks. Well I'm checking it out with some wads.

Pretty much why I made it, I really enjoy the added difficulty from fast monsters but some aspects, such as instant firing hitscanners, alter the gameplay in such a way that I don't want to use it all the time. I don't like having to creep around each corner for fear of a stray shotgunner. I dislike wads like harder-doom because they feel so different from vanilla Doom 2. That being said I still like the mod but I wouldn't play with it all the time, especially when I'm in a mood for 'Doom'

Sp00kyFox said:

wtf were you thinking? the pain elemental was already a pain in the ass ;)

It spits them at you from further away so I made Lost Souls a bit weaker. If you find them too annoying I can tweak them or even release a separate file to be loaded after the mod that reverts them back to vanilla :]

Sp00kyFox said:

line 99, you probably mean the cyberdemon?

Must be but it I'm confused, this is a shot of the textfile from the uploaded rar :S

well I tried it on a few classic levels. It gives them a nice and fresh chalenging feel, nicely done. And man.. those pinkies are on crack lol

xvertigox said:
Must be but it I'm confused, this is a shot of the textfile from the uploaded rar :S

must be an error on the pastebin site you linked.

Sp00kyFox said:

well I tried it on a few classic levels. It gives them a nice and fresh chalenging feel, nicely done. And man.. those pinkies are on crack lol

Glad you like it :] The mod name has a double meaning, referring to the gameplay being tweaked and generally faster. I couldn't think of a good name so this will have to suffice.

Sp00kyFox said:
must be an error on the pastebin site you linked. [/B]

Ah yup, I see it. Yeah, it's mean to say 'Cyberdemon' - thanks for the heads up.

xvertigox said:

Haha, I can't believe I didn't see that one coming. Sucks that it broke the level like that :( If you have any suggestions on how to fix it let me know.

Wouldn't say it's broken,I'm sure you can use bfg/rockets to kill the barons while still invulnerable,as both weapons can be found on the level.