Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

Quake I vs Quake II

Which one would you prefer, and why?

I personally prefer Quake I, because I can replay it over and over and it's mission packs. If I find it's too easy, I just go to nightmare mode. Nightmare mode is very fun really. Quake II is good, but not that great. Recently completed again, I feel no urge to try and beat it again on a harder difficulty. Maybe if they had a nightmare difficulty, they I would get the urge. Maybe they do have it, but I'm just a big idiot and never noticed it.

I like them both for different reasons. Quake 1 is pretty nice for its abstract and otherworldly environments but I wasn't a big fan of the music, and the weapons didn't feel like they packed much of a punch. Quake 2's weapons gave a little more satisfaction with each shot and I personally prefer its soundtrack

One day I'll have to try playing through more than the first 30 seconds of Quake II.

I may be biased since I played quake 2 before I played quake 1, but having completed both and a few mission packs from each, I prefer quake 2.

Both great games though.

I'd have to say the lack of hubs in Quake 1 are a bonus, too.

Anyway, I have a slight preference for Quake 1 because of the atmosphere and weapons. Also the level design was just plain fun, especially episode three, which is by far my favorite one. Quake 2 is fun, but I tend to get bored in it.

Quake holds my attention with its weirdness, I like Quake II but it is very copypaste.

I prefer Quake 1 and it's map packs over Quake 2, Quake 2 is a badass game, don't get me wrong. I just prefer the first.

I will add that Quake 2 has great music!

I like them both pretty equally. Each one has it's pluses. Quake had a very cool artisticness too it, the theme was really neat. The monsters were neat, and it just stands out as one of those big games. Quake II had great atmosphere as well, neat monsters as well, a better story, more weapons, and cool music.

Quake 1 however I felt had better Deathmatch, or at least faster paced deathmatch, especially on E1 Boss and Secret levels.

Quake 2's monsters are very meh, flyers are just annoying (parasites extremely so) and icaruses are not very satisfying to kill when they just blow up instead of falling to the ground. Weapons are better though, Quake's thunderbolt is not a great superweapon compared with the BFG.

I'd go with Quake 1. I love the medieval atmosphere and architecture, and the monsters are instantly recognizable and unique. The fiend, the shambler, the vore, the scrag, the zombies, the knight and hell knight, the ogre, they all stand out in my mind. Unlike cyborg with a machinegun, cyborg with a grenade launcher, cyborg with a rail gun, cyborg with a hyperblaster, cyborg with a rocket launcher. I prefer castles and crypts over the same boring futuristic space station over and over again.

I vote Quake over Quake II for the same reasons Jello just covered. I do wish Quake's weapons where a bit more interesting though. They're all look and feel pathetically weak. Probably becasue they are pathetically weak now that I think about it... except maybe the rocket launcher.

Quake II is pretty good, but the first Quake gets my vote.

I was actually disappointed by the lack of medieval / gothic themes in Quake II.
Besides, Quake's got the Super Nailgun and the Shambler. You cannot top that :p

Both Quakes are flawed. I admit that Quake inspires me more than Quake 2 and has something which the Dooms don't have.

I have to admit Quake 1 is better because of the overall tried and true gameplay because it's essentially Doom 3D. But Quake II added a whole new dynamic that was different form the rest of the id games... A loose story **

Both are great in their own right. Q2 gets my 'vote' though for being my first real game addiction -- Doom followed afterward in a burst of chronological rebellion, and I never actually played Quake the First until a year or two ago.

Definitely prefer Q2's soundtrack. Not to dock Reznor's work, since it fits its respective game perfectly, but the Q2 metalness carried a serious amount of badassery.

Quake II, probably biased point of view because I played it for days ends back then.

Quake's a great game, though. Only reason I've not played through it all is because I've yet to find a physical copy of it.

Jello said:

I'd go with Quake 1. I love the medieval atmosphere and architecture, and the monsters are instantly recognizable and unique. The fiend, the shambler, the vore, the scrag, the zombies, the knight and hell knight, the ogre, they all stand out in my mind. Unlike cyborg with a machinegun, cyborg with a grenade launcher, cyborg with a rail gun, cyborg with a hyperblaster, cyborg with a rocket launcher. I prefer castles and crypts over the same boring futuristic space station over and over again.

Pretty much sums it up. Quake 1 on a decent PC using the Darkplaces source port and a high-res texture pack is more interesting to me than 95% of modern FPS games.

That having been said, I love Quake 2 and still play it occasionally.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
I was actually disappointed by the lack of medieval / gothic themes in Quake II.

I've always wondered why Quake II was called Quake at all. But I love them both.

cbronson said:

I've always wondered why Quake II was called Quake at all. But I love them both.

Only because Id couldn't find an available title name with just one syllable. They had already used Doom and Quake. Blood and Strife were trademarked by other people. Borg would have been too Star Trekkish. They apparently didn't think of Rage at the time.

So they went all "fuck it, let's call it Quake II" and they shoehorned some Quake-like symbol in some textures to justify the name despite it not having anything to do, continuity-wise, with Quake.

Same deal with Quake III. It's kinda too bad that Quake IV saw a return of the Strogg, they could have made Quake their continuity-free franchise, where each game in the series had nothing to do with the previous or following ones.

cbronson said:

Similar weaponry, but in the future. No more silly nailguns. The shotgun, super shotgun, grenade and rocket launchers are still here.

Similar environment: lots of traps. Big button switches, proximity sensing doors, automatic lift platforms, swimmable water, lava, slime. Low count of enemies per map. Quad damage, invulnerability, enviro-suit, falling damage.

The hyperblaster and bfg10k are exactly like the plasma rifle and bfg9000 of Doom though.

I expected all Quakes to have earthquakes. I was highly disappointed to discover that vanilla Quake has none. Stupid excuse for the name ("someone codenamed Quake blablabla")...

printz said:

The hyperblaster and bfg10k are exactly like the plasma rifle and bfg9000 of Doom though.

wat