Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phobosdeimos1

DETH in Dosbox 0.74 error

I've decided to try and make a few maps in DETH to see if I like it.

I've edited the config files as instructed to point to my doom IWADs,
and it works when running DETH in XP by simply double-clicking deth although of course it's not healthy to do that and there's crashes whilst loading the editing screen.

So I'm trying to run it in DOSBOX,

I've created a shortcut in the deth424 folder that points to the deth424 directory.

I run deth by typing "deth", and I get the credits start-up screen and the "Editing: DOOM2" but it's followed by an error message:

*** error opening "C:\blahblahblahblah\doom2.wad" ***

of course the path isn't blahblahblah but I can assure you that the path is correct and it reads the DOOM2.wad fine when run by double clicking the deth.exe without involving DOSBOX.

the path to the dosbox shortcut is just:

"c:\blahblahblah\dosbox.blah" "c:\blahblahblah\deth424"

So, any ideas?

Edit: I've put fresh doom IWADS in the deth424 directory, the configs totally correct,

I just KEEP getting the error:

*** error opening "C:\blahblahblahblah\doom2.wad" ***

Even if I change the configs to point at iwads that don't exist, it DISPLAYS THE SAME MESSAGE

Is the directory with your IWAD mounted properly in DOSBox? As far as I know, DOSBox can't access the unmounted filesystem, so if you only mounted "C:\DOOM\DETH" as drive "C:\", then "C:\DOOM\IWADS" won't be included, for example. In that case, mounting the parent directory ("C:\DOOM" in this case) instead would be the way to go.

Mithran Denizen said:

Is the directory with your IWAD mounted properly in DOSBox? As far as I know, DOSBox can't access the unmounted filesystem, so if you only mounted "C:\DOOM\DETH" as drive "C:\", then "C:\DOOM\IWADS" won't be included, for example. In that case, mounting the parent directory ("C:\DOOM" in this case) instead would be the way to go.

Hmm, as I wasn't sure exactly how to mount multiple directories, I thought putting some IWADS in the deth424 folder and re-editing to the configs to point to them would have the same effect as what you said, yet it's still showing me the same error message.

Just to also let you know these are fresh IWADS aswell

I just got that method (dumping DOOM2.WAD into the deth424 folder and editing the config) to work, and I think I can guess where you went wrong.

The path you add in the config needs to be the virtual path within the DOSBox mount itself, not your real file system's path. For example, if you unzipped DETH into "C:\DOOM\deth424" and then mounted that as "C:\" in DOSBox (which is what will automatically happen if you just run DETH.EXE with DOSBox), then DOSBox, just sees that as "C:\".

So if you put DOOM2.WAD in "C:\DOOM\deth424" (on your real file system), and edited the config to use "C:\DOOM\deth424\DOOM2.WAD", that location won't be visible to DETH under DOSBox. You'll need to change the path in the config file to reflect the virtual location as it appears when mounted, so use "C:\DOOM2.WAD" if you are mounting the deth424 folder itself as "C:\"

Yep - virtual path.
Fooled me many times when using a setup exe in dosbox and never having been able to find the extracted game for example.