Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

The Brooding Darkness 1 map Release[WIP]

I desided to make a Halloween map for the Holiday, since i love Halloween soo much. Due to me being sick i didnt have the energy to finish this map on time =[
==============================================================
this wad/map will be for gzdoom and requires dynamic lighting.
===============================================================

Its going to an none linear haunted labyrinth type map with dim lighting, ghosts and demons and spooky ambiant noises.

There will probably be no music in this map since I want the ambiant sound effects to take its place.

There will be a flaregun that allows you to light up an area of your choosing for a certain time. This will help out for areas that have less lighting than others so you can spot monsters.

Flaregun rounds are scattered around the map so make sure your always on the look out for flares.

heres some screenshots so far.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/ancient%20magic/Screenshot_Doom_20111024_020809.png
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/ancient%20magic/Screenshot_Doom_20111024_020559.png
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/ancient%20magic/Screenshot_Doom_20111024_020506.png
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/unholypimpin/ancient%20magic/Screenshot_Doom_20111024_020251.png

If people end up liking the finished map, i might consider making more maps with similar theme and gameplay.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ke4464a4v9jlumd heres a link to the wad.

if you find any bugs or find the difficulty too hard then please let me know.

i hope you enjoy playing the map. NOTE!! PLEASE PLAY WITHOUT ANY GAMMA INCREASING TO HAVE THE ULTIMATE EFFECT OF THE MAP, as i built this map around having low gamma, since dynamic lights and the flaregun take care of low light settings.

I think your idead and screencaps are brilliant. I love Halloween, too, and I definitely think your screencaps show a lot of promise for creepy gameplay. And you should definitely try using only ambient sounds and no music--that can work out perfectly if you do it right. I really look forward to this map's release :).

Seems really awesome,definitely looking forward to it as I like GZDoom WAD's. Hmm...will it have jump/crouch secrets? I always get excited for those!

there might be some jumping. There will be secrets, however they wont be flagged as secrets because i want players to be rewarded for exploring but not expect how many secrets there will be.

Alwaysdoomed said:

There will be secrets, however they wont be flagged as secrets because i want players to be rewarded for exploring but not expect how many secrets there will be.

Erm, I don't like that idea. At all. I'm sure most of other players agree. But whatever, your map.

Alwaysdoomed said:

there might be some jumping. There will be secrets, however they wont be flagged as secrets because i want players to be rewarded for exploring but not expect how many secrets there will be.

I personally like this idea. I like maps that require exploration. I don't care how many secrets there are, if any. I just care that ammo and health is sufficient--not too much, not too little.

Ok so I played a part of this. The things I don't like are:
-it's too damn easy! On UV I am constantly having above 100 health.
-that weird face that keeps appearing doesn't help set the atmosphere. It's actually distracting and looks pretty dumb.
-the monsters will occasionally make a weird human-like sound. I suggest removing it, it sounds unnatural for monsters to make it.
-monsters are constantly appearing in my face. I think they should appear in your back too, as to make things more difficult.
-the detail is fairly plain.

Ok, finally, the most annoying thing. There was a button in a "the chasm" like area. No matter how hard I tried to push it, it doesn't work, and I am now stuck.

ah thanks for pointing that out, its actually a bug. Which human sound were u talking about, was it actually a voice or a human moaning?

Are you playing with high gamma because your actually not suppose to really see anything thats not lit by dynamic lighting. Im assuming your are because when i played it i would always be around 50 or 60 health sometimes lower.

I suggest turning your gamma all the way down while playing this wad.

The reason why theres not alot of detail is because I didnt want to waste too much time detailing things that arnt lit by dynamic lighting since if you play with 1.0 gamma you wont be able to see anything not lit anyways.

For the time being till the glitch is fixed, theres a door on the opposite side of the green room, just idclip through it since atm it cant be opened from down in the chasm.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Are you playing with high gamma because your actually not suppose to really see anything thats not lit by dynamic lighting. Im assuming your are because when i played it i would always be around 50 or 60 health sometimes lower.

I suggest turning your gamma all the way down while playing this wad.

Yo dawg, my gamma is 1.0. Maybe the dynamic lights are too high, because I can see a lot. Also should I play on "dark" or "doom"?
And even if you would have more problems seeing the enemies, the map is still too damn easy.

The human noise I was talking about was human moaning. Also, you haven't said anything about the red face that keeps appearing. I know it's supposed to be a "scare" element, but in my opinion it's just gimmicky and really dumb.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4q8fas32fjtfojb

heres a hotfix for the problem with the chasm.

your dynamic lighting should be at 1.0

as for the red face, i guess ill remove it later.

The main hard element of the map is sight, so if things are still too bright then perhaps ill lower the room lighting more.
But on my end the map is moderatly hard because monsters are almost invisable when not in the light, which results in me running into monsters unknowingly and missing shots.

My dynamic lights are at 1.0. The map must be too bright, or the monsters too visible, as I can see them from a pretty big distance. Also I am usually cautious, so I don't blindly run forward.

Ok, maybe I should state the things that I like too. Firstly, I love what you did to the enemies. They fit very well the style. I like the zombieman the most. Secondly, the atmosphere is brilliant.

Other things I wanted to state:
1) even if you don't consider detail too important, I suggest adding some. It would definitely help the atmosphere.
2)your usage of blocking lines is pretty questionable. The ones that in that room that's collapsed should be removed, as you can't get stuck there anyway, and it just feels dumb having them there. The ones on the top of the libraries are also bad. Why can't I go on top of the libraries? C'mon...

I tried it on UV, and I enjoyed it, but there were some flaws.

But I will start with the good:
1. The atmosphere is solid--very creepy and even a bit hellish due to the heavy use of shadows and ambient lighting.

2. The new monster behaviors caught me by surprise, but I like them. they definitely made the gameplay unpredictable and more challenging. Plus, I really liked the red Demons--they look better like that than pink anyway.

3. There are some good scares. Sometimes, monsters got a good jolt out of me because of how fast they were and their partial invisibility.

4. The hall with hanging corpses, flesh chunk decor, and green lighting was fantastic. Gruesome, bizarre, and creepy.

The bad:
1. The demonic voices are very annoying and gimmicky. I got tired of hearing them because they turned things kind of cheesy. I didn't like the scream, either. It was also too gimicky. I suggest sticking to ambient sounds and/or music. The music can be very subtle, but still dark and effective, and there are other sound effects that are creepy that don't involve talking (See "Demons of Problematique," "Unloved," "Happy Time Circus 2," and "Legacy of Suffering" for some good examples).

2. The red skull face that flashes on screen is unnecessary.

3. The rooms are rather plain and even a bit flat. Some more height variation or, at least some more detail architecture and object-placement-wise would greatly enhance the quality of the maps. As of right now, it's a bit...stale without the extra detail.

4. The map is dark and eerie, but the flare gun was not needed. It was bright enough for me to see. Maybe go darker or just remove the flare gun from the inventory.

5. I thought ammo was a bit too tight for my tastes, but this is my personal opinion.

It's a good map, and there's a lot of potential for it to be really good, but it's definitely rough around the edges right now. I encourage you to work some more on it, though, because I'd like to see what can come of this map.