Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

How Has Doom Impacted Your Life?

Doom has spared me the complications of a romantic/sexual relationship and the possibility of knocking someone up.

In other words, Doom is my chastity belt.

DuckReconMajor said:

Doom has spared me the complications of a romantic/sexual relationship and the possibility of knocking someone up.

In other words, Doom is my chastity belt.

I can't decide whether this admission was really courageous or really stupid.

In the good old days, if you got someone knocked up, then several large men with shotguns (probably her father and uncles) would sit you down and explain to you that from this point you had certain marriage related responsibilities, and that well, we can do this the hard way, or the easy way.

And here is DRM using a Doom shotgun as a sort of 'preemptive' measure.

Genius.

It's cool if that works for you. Better then getting in a shitty relationship that fucks you up and/or ending up depressive on those shitty manufactured drugs that fuck you up with their side effects.

It's mostly been a creative outlet and just a fun game for me. Out of any moddable game I've spent the most time on Doom. Creating maps is a very unique form of art, and it can also contain other kinds of art such as texturing/spriting, and music composition.

It doesn't hamper my social life, although video games in general did (or at least were a replacement for one) when I was younger.

In fact, I became friends with a doomworld member, Hellbent, in real life when we discovered we lived across the street from each other last year!

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

And here is DRM using a Doom shotgun as a sort of 'preemptive' measure.

So Doomguy's rockets/armor bonuses are in reality dildoes/condoms he uses to avoid unpleasant responsabilities? Heh...I wonder what those blue potions and soul spheres REALLY are then ;-)

Imp said:

A very large wall of text, but still an awesome tale.

Holy shit, you know Mark "drav35" Dravich? Ask that asshole how he's doing for me. Most of the fellas on this board won't know, but Drav35, Sazabi (or whatever name he was using at the time), and I used to make huge projects together all the time. Our most popular work was the TLSDM series, inspired by the UD boys and their UDM work, all the way up to TLSXCTF. Once we all finished high school we all sort of lost contact with each other, and now we're all working on our respective careers. If you don't mind, and if you find the time, shoot drav35 an email for me and tell him Chronohunter says hi, and hopes he's doing well. Shoot him my email as well, chronohunter45@hotmail.com.

Great to hear your story, mate. It was quite the tale.

@Imp: Damn Imp, that quite a story.. I remember sitting in school, just watching the clock all day... the good ol' days. I can honestly say, I couldn't picture life without Doom either. One of the best things to ever happen to me!

Doom has had a similar effect on me like that of David Lynch's Eraserhead, which I finally saw a few years ago. It created a completely alternate world I could escape into, complete with its own mysteries and idioms. I find myself often daydreaming or fantasizing about worlds directly influenced by Doom's aesthetics. Hell, I spent the last several months reconstructing the Episode 1 intermission screen, which will make its glorious return when I learn bump mapping. I've dreamt about doom ever since I first played it in '94, and continue to dream about it to this day.

Also, I think it's cool what DuckReconMajor said about Doom being his chastity belt. I've been in a very happy relationship for six years, but I'm still a virgin. I'll play a million more rounds of Doom before I ever have sex.

DuckReconMajor said:

Oh god.

Why buy the cow when you can tell the cow to fuck off?

I think this is a comment that only carries any weight if you have ever had a cow. ^^

goatLord, salutations for being able to get on the internet and tell people that you have a happy relationship. You have just become a shining beacon in a world of depthless cynicism. You, sir are my new hero.

Much appreciated. People have typically found it quite abhorrent that I would purposefully distance myself from carnal activity, and place entertainment and art above it. I'm not ashamed, though, and neither is my girlfriend. She doesn't play Doom, but has shown a great deal of interest in my fanaticism, whether it's my idea for the perfect Doom movie, watching me play mods like Brutal Doom (she actually felt bad for the archnotron's "cutesy eyes" during its berserker fatality), or my Episode 1 Intermission art.

GoatLord said:

People have typically found it quite abhorrent that I would purposefully distance myself from carnal activity, and place entertainment and art above it.

I want to emphasize that I have no problem with this.

It makes me think twice before buying one of those overdone AAA titles, especially shooters.

Let's see:

Doom was the first FPS I ever played, back in 1995 on the SNES.

The Intermission/E2M3 music was the first riff I ever learned on guitar.

Doom gave me my first known nightmare. Fucking E1M3 mazes with Spectres.

Doom was also the game that -along with Super Mario 64- convinced me my future was in the game industry.

I still own Doom on the SNES, and my kids will play it when they reach 6 years old like I was. And their kids will play it, and so on and so forth. You know how most families have old heirlooms? Mine will be videogame systems.

Doom is eternal.

I think that because of DOOM, when I'm bored waiting and have nothing important to do, I start walking randomly, like the monsters.

I used to walk around examining everything as if it were in Doom, trying to mentally figure out how much of the surrounding environment could be recreated in the vanilla engine.

Enough to make me realize my favorite genre of games, not just limited to Doom. But it's been highly significant in my appreciation of custom levels, mods and source ports.

Doom is the only game whose modifications I've extensively played. Granted, it's also one of the most modded games of all time, but yeah.

It's filled a lot of my spare time with freely downloadable stuff, which has presumably saved me money on buying other games, films and the like.

It's also gotten me into the idea of making games rather than just playing them, so it influenced my choice of degree and it's also got me aiming to make it into the games industry.

When I first discovered COMPET-N I never knew it would take about away a year off my life, watching all those demos...

ONE YEAR WELL SPENT!

Yeah, it ruined my eyes, delayed developing of sociality by years, made some input in making worse my relations with parents and impacted my university badly.

But, we will all die no matter how socially we lived and so on, so why not spend your life doing what you like. And I like playing doom.